wilderness systems tsunami 120

has any one any info regarding this kayak? ive had my eye on one since last week , but would like to hear real life reviews, not the usual sales pitch. Any info would be welcome, i plan on doing some charity work, a 500 mile coastal trip,purely selfish reasons,but if it can be used to good affect by someone well why not. Thanks

Where is the trip?
And what is your experience and training going in?

If this is the boat you’d use, you may want to think narrower/longer. Pushing a 12 ft rec boat for 550 miles is a nasty thought.

It is

– Last Updated: Nov-07-07 3:24 PM EST –

a great boat. WS badges it a Transitional Touring boat....it is a higher end rec boat with some touring features, and a more performance oriented narrower hull then many rec boats.

Outfitting - top notch for its class, very comfortable and very adjustable seat, comfortable adjustable thigh braces, and good foot braces.

Storage - great bow and stern dry storage with full bulkheads fore and aft. Good tupperware lids on the compartments, I've never had a leakage problem.

Handling/Performance - very good for its length/width. Very maneuverable when compared to other rec/light touring boats, great multi chined hull with tons of secondary stability. You can really put this boat into a hard lean to make it turn. Yet it tracks very well when flat in the water due to the pronounced keel fore and aft. The key to turning and maneuvering this boat is using those chines and edging it like crazy.

Weight - it is heavy, if you can afford the Duralite version you'll have a worthwhile amount of weight. This is more a benefit off the water then on the water.

As great a boat as it is.....not sure it is suitable for a 500 mile coastal excursion as Celia said. You may consider something longer longer like the Tsunami 160 or 175. For a boat that is a full tour boat - longer, narrower, faster, with similiar features consider the Tempest.

I own the Tsunami 120 and love it. It is a great boat, and is lots of fun in all kinds of water. I love the tighter cockpit and outfitting - not common in many rec boats or light touring boats. I also love the cockpit size because you can get neoprene skirts to fit it, making for a dry ride. I'm 5'10" 165lbs, 32" inseam, 32" waist, athletic build, and 9.5 shoe size. I could have gone with a 125 but it was a lil too sloppy fitting for me. The 120 is comfortably snug, I still have plenty of room to move around in the cockpit if I want it, but I can lock myself in tight if I need to.

Where it doesn't excel is shallow rocky waterways, any place with big nasty boulders and such to get the keel hung up on, or that will grab the keel and twist you around.

Depending on your intended purposes it will be a great boat. You have to test paddle some boats, and try on the different sizes, 120, 125, 140, etc to find the one that really fits you the best before you make a decision.

Good luck and happy paddling.

Thanks, and with more grace…
Was in fast and I didn’t mean to tag the boat as being in any way a bad boat. I am aware it is well respected by people who are mucho better paddlers than myself.

That said, that’s an awful long trip.

re where is the trip
Hi Celia the trip is from the Summer isles in North West Scotland(Rieff)DOWN TO Blackpool, England, il give myself a couple of weeks, ive paddled around a few lochs in Scotland in an inflatable canoe, that was hard work ,so im kind of looking forward to it,ive climbed a lot of stuff, keep fit/ish, cough !

re kschultz76
Thanks sounds good,unusualy good for a twelve footer, which is all i can fit in my shed, without having to butcher it, it will be a challenge but il have a few weeks to do it in,with light camping gear,ive got wet suits dry suits from my diving days, yak gear, Its just the great Brittish weather,timing it right,Thanks

Not for me it isn’t
Go for it…you can do it

I plan on doing a promotional 660+ mile trip in May 2008 using the WS Tsunami 125.

Lots of luck, have fun and give it hell on the water.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

re much grace
Im planning it as well as poss, im not going untill April /May, so i should have an armoury of tips and gear by then,i may even convince some free spirit(poor soul)to join me ,and theres a big bonus too, its the most beutifull part of the country,being able to sleep where you want to, waking up to a different view every morning,

re georgia kayaker
nice one fella, where you off to?660+, well i feel better already,this trips getting shorter,how many miles roughly a day,

FYI, G_K paddles down stream…
… on pretty quiet inland rivers, in relatively warm Georgia - not open coasts of the UK.

His mileage is nonetheless still quite impressive, but you might want to consider the venues for his exploits when reading his comments on distances and choice of craft.

For what you propose, a longer narrower sea kayak made for the sort of paddling you’re considering might make more sense (and plenty of getting acquainted time with it before hand).

If I was doing a trip

– Last Updated: Nov-07-07 10:49 PM EST –

at the same time I'd certainly love to be going with you.

(The subject was supposed to read: If I wasn't doing a trip)

I don't know if you have ever done a long kayak trip and depending on your objective I wouldn't plan on busting ass. It you really enjoy every moment of the trip your perspective of the world will be different when you finish.

I haven't enough costal experience to spell it much less talk about it.

I have used a 12 foot CD Kestrel on my earlier trips. Should we be paddling at the same time I will one day salute my paddling friend on another body of water part way around the world doing the same thing...paddlin.

I'd love to see pictures and hear about your trip but I really want to hear about your personal feelings and how you feel after the accomplishment.

Richard

That is correct
A longer boat would make it easier once I got beyond the small creek and shoals but I like paddling the smaller tougher kayaks. I’m not into kayaking for the easy paddling. I enjoy paddling hard all day and don’thave much difficulty keeping up with the longer kayaks on day trips.

Just a matter of paddling choice. Maybe one of the days I will venture out beyond the bay at the end of a trip just to step over the line into the wild side and salt water.

re georgia-kayaker 2
I plan on taking plenty of pics,a bit of fishing,(love fresh fish)not that id like to live on the stuff, and yes im hoping i feel good at the end of the trip,and am feeling more positive as the clock ticks on,i hope the great brittish weather is on my side,the sun always lifts my spirits,helps keep a clear mind, makes the landscape stand out too,thanks

Longer boat for longer trips

– Last Updated: Nov-07-07 5:31 PM EST –

While it is certainly possible to do a 500 mile trip in a short (12ft) boat, you might not want to do that. I'm assuming that the 500 mile trip entails camping and carrying gear.

You'll get two advantages to using a longer boat:

1) better tracking (and, consequently, better overall speed).

2) More storage. A longer boat will allow you to store everything you need inside the boat. Lash stuff to the outside makes the boat less stable, the stuff is prone to being washed off by waves, and increases windage (ie, exposure to wind).

Keep in mind that the idea is to pack like a backpacker and not carry too much stuff. Oddly, a really long (eg, 18ft) boat might not be much faster if the water is not flat. And a really long boat might encourage you to carry too much stuff!

Seek out people in your area to see what kinds of boats they use for the areas you plan to paddle. There might be paddling clubs you could talk to.

500 miles is 167 hours of paddling at 3MPH (a good pace).

Just over 15 per day

– Last Updated: Nov-07-07 5:55 PM EST –

This will be a promotional trip opening up Alabama's Scenic River Trail which will be the longest in state water trail in the United States. I may have 50 to 100 paddlers with me foras long as a week at a time. There will be 6 dams to portage and 3 dams to lock thru.

Last year I paddled an 851 mile 49 day trip. These 631 miles are the last 631 mile of that trip.

I paddle for pure pleasure. They are my "See America" trips where I can stop and talk to people and learn about every kind of life style along the river. If I have a question about what I see I stop and investigate. I say that I don't paddle past a question. It is a great personally educational trip. Last year there were days I paddled less than 10 miles and days I paddled 38 miles.

Don't let your trip be about speed and distance. Remember if this is a pleasure trip, it isn't the start or the finish...it's what happens in between. And if the trip is as good as mine ... the end will be sad. You'll be happy and sad at the same time. Your last night will probably be an emotional experience that you aren't ready for as you reflect upon the days and realize that the next day it will end...and that is sad. How great the trip was can be measured by tear flow. You might not understand this now but if you go alone...you will.

When you finish your trip I will be expecting you to call it a journey. The word trip doen't seem to describe the experience. With a lump in my throat and a tear welling up in my eyes I can recall my 3 long kayak journeys.

I wish you well.

Richard

georgia-kayaker

– Last Updated: Nov-07-07 6:40 PM EST –

This will be a turning point for me .it will be an adventure, like you say what happens in between that matters,the begining and end are just the covers of the book.il keep you posted,im going to play with some boats at weekend,good luck on the rest of your journey,,those portages sound mentally as well as physical hard work,ive met some of the most open people up Scotland,Ive always found it a hard place to leave,, Are you writing a book?

re nj kayaker
I would be convinced,but its the transit thats the problem , its a small van il be getting a lift in and the guys ok ,but i wouldnt want him driving all that way with a big blind spot . on tight roads,i know the amount of gear will be limited,and am planning supply stops ,at gauged distances,the danger points are crossing the sea lochs,good points in the morning the tides run directional for 2 ish hours in my direction,again weather depending.Thanks

Mini + kayak

– Last Updated: Nov-07-07 7:17 PM EST –

I know somebody who carries their long boat on a Mini.

You'd have to carry the long boat on top of the car.

Get some time in the boat before you go on your 500 mile trip.

Everything is a trade-off.

Few experienced people would use such a short boat for such a trip. Maybe, there's a reason for that. If the weather isn't against you, the 12-footer could work.

You'd be surprized at how little room even a longer boat has!

Keep in mind that you want a boat that has enough floatation for you and your gear.

Planning meals

– Last Updated: Nov-07-07 10:52 PM EST –

If you are going to paddle long hours...don't plan any big meals. You'll be too tired to cook and won't care about eating. Plan on snacking all day long and put something to eat beside you when you go to sleep. You'll wake up in the middle of the night starving. I sleep beside a pack of Fig Newtons every night.

Plan on losing weight and getting in great shape. I always pack more than I eat. Maybe I'll plan my next food list after eating a big meal.

I can pack food and gear for 26 days in a 12' CD Kestrel but only enough fluids for a 8 days. In the middle of summer I consumed 3 gallons of fluids in 8 days.

How long do you expect your 500 mile trip to take?

No book, I tried and after several

– Last Updated: Nov-07-07 10:47 PM EST –

frustrating months I realized that all the good books written were done so by writers who made trips.

There is some interest with this upcoming trip. I never say never but if it happens...fine, if it doesn't then it just wasn't to be.

I hope you find the magic on your journey. If you do you'll go beyond your wildest dreams and stand alone and feelthat you are one of few who understands the special feeling of accomplishing the mighty feat.

We'll have a lot to talk about after your trip and few words will need to be spoken. You'll understand and I'll know you understand.

Keep in touch. My e-mail address is: Richard@georgiakayaker.com