Wilderness Tripping, or what?

Must be way up your nose.

Take what you can get
I would think most don’t live near any real wilderness.

Those on the east 1/3rd of the nation have seen most of our land utilised since Colubus laned.

Those who do have wilderness are very lucky.

I have to be satisfied with the north branch Susquahanna, mostly farmland and old coal towns.

But we have eagles again!!!

What is wilderness?
I just did a Yukon River trip.

By my personal definition the trip itself was not a wilderness trip. There was not a day when we did not see someone on the river. We passed some fishing camps and a town and some mining operations.

But hiking in the woods following old trails out of camp one could get into trouble quickly. It might be an old prospectors trail or a bear trail…and it would be easy to get turned around…and no one find you for years. So is that wilderness?

I think wilderness is a personal decision. One mans is not another mans

Yukon wilderness

– Last Updated: Sep-05-12 8:10 PM EST –

I've paddled the Yukon a few times myself. Although we saw several canoe campers and a few First Nations fishing operations, we certainly were alone in the vastness of that wild river the majority of the time. But those mountains on either side sure do call out to you being as wild as can be. A hike most anywhere there would certainly take you far from any possible human contact.

Since we were racing each time, we did not have the opportunity to explore off river, and we camped short nights on gravel shoals. But while waiting out one afternoon thunderstorm, I walked just a bit back on the soft mushy moss muskeg. Very slow and difficult going. The mountain ridges would be much easier.

Wilderness is a cluster concept.
Various things go into the definition, degree of roadlessness, degree of absence of human population, degree of wild (versus cut or farmed) vegetation, lack of buildings, lack of power lines, etc. etc.

That’s how people actually use the word wilderness. One person’s “personal” definition will vary.

If just one criterion is out of compliance a bit, that may not cause people to stop calling it “wilderness.”

The BWCA meets most people’s definition of wilderness. “BWCA and Beyond” is a pretty damn good way of indicating what kind of “wilderness” we’re talking about.

I can keep pointing this out as long as you choose to imply that nearly the whole land mass of the planet really isn’t wilderness.

How about "Mongolia Only"
A few clicks west of Ulaanbaatar…that fit ya for “wilderness” G2.:)?

DUU is the right opening. You show no
understanding at all. Obviously if I back Brent’s “BWCA and Beyond” as a guideline for this supposedly wilderness forum, I don’t have to go to Mongolia. But if you have the money, I encourage you to go, and report back.

Much “wilder” and more dangerous
than the Yukon, Boundary waters, or Mongolia, is a place I am occasionally forced to journey when I travel east and cross the George Washington Bridge.

Crowded wilderness.