Wilderness Tsunami or Eddyline Sandpiper

I have kayaked for a while, but the time has come for me to buy my own. I have been looking at used ones to get more bang for my buck and I have it narrowed down to two. Both are about the same price. Any input would be appreciated.

Which would you say is better and why?

The wilderness tsunami 140

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/touring_performance/touring_performance_tsunami/tsunami_140_touring

Or

The eddy line sandpiper.

http://www.eddyline.com/kayak-models/sandpiper/

I'm 5'10" and would like it to do as much as I can get out of it I suppose. Mostly recreational on flat/semi calm but some slight chop at times and short overnights. Plus since both are used what material would you say should last longer?

Thanks!

Two different types of boat
The two boats you are looking at are designed for different purposes. The Sandpiper is more of a recreational kayak which is what you’d be looking for if you are paddling around small ponds, marshes etc. The Tsunami is more of a touring kayak and would be a better choice for larger bodies of water and the chop you refer too. The first decision you need to make is how you intend to use the boat. It would help people giving you advice if you would provide some more information on where you live and what type of water you will be paddling most of the time.

Va
I live in central Virginia so I have access to anything from ponds and lakes to rivers and the Chesapeake bay. I read a few reviews that the sandpiper could handle some minor chop and was wondering if anyone had any experience on this.

Thanks

Fan of Tsunami 140
I am a real fan of the Tsunami 140. Handles really well. Not the fastest at 14ft, but keeps up real well in the cruising range (3.5-4 mph). Has lots of storage space. Good initial stability, but not that hard to edge over for turning and very solid while holding it on edge.

It is pretty good for simple moving water (class I and II) although the keel at the rear does tend to drag in shallow water sooner than rec kayaks. For quick manuvering you do need to edge the kayak to get that keel out of the water. Once it is out the kayak turns really quickly.

Never paddled a Sandpiper so can not make a comparison there.

Mark

Tsunami or keekp looking
The Sandpiper is too short and wide and the cockpit is too large for your purposes.

Eddylines are wonderful kayaks, but don’t buy the Sandpiper just because you happened to find a used one. The Eddyline Equinox, Journey, or Fathom would be better for your intended uses.

another Tsunami Vote
14 feet long is a lot better than 12 for speed. Also the cockpit can take a real skirt in case you start to paddle in rougher water.

Also the Tsunami is a boat that you would likely keep in the event that you wanted to get another boat for sea kayaking or one for white water.

I think the Sandpiper is a boat you’ll grow out of quickly.

Tsunami does nearly everything
I would add a second voice to the notion that the Tsunami seems a lot more like the kind of kayak you would need. That said, I also think the Sandpiper is the wrong Eddyline kayak to compare it with. Different boats really. (Eddyline makes great kayaks…take a look at the Fathom.)

The Tsunami will allow you to do nearly anything, although with compromises in speed, very rough water handling, and overall seaworthiness. That’s the way it is designed and it translates into a remarkably versatile craft. You will probably be surprised at how well it does in open ocean conditions…as long as you aren’t in a race.

Clarify
I should clarify that these two are being compared because they were the two best used ones that I found, which probably isn’t the best reason to compare something. The wilderness does seem to suit my needs a bit more, should the building material not factor into my decision at all?

I’m a fan of thermoformed, but…

– Last Updated: Apr-05-12 7:55 PM EST –

the most imortant thing is the match between the boat and the intended use.

1 Like

another 140 fan
lots of storage, maybe not the fastest boat on flatwater but does OK. Does well in chop and open water.

I’d say if you wanted to do the stuff that the guy at the top of the eddyline add is doing then get the tsunami.

The high back seat gets a little in the way of cowboy re-entry, but the phase three seats are way comfortable for a long haul.

Material
Thermoformed plastic is certainly superior to rotomolded. This is a budget question. If money isn’t an issue, then a thermoformed Eddyline is going to be better than a rotomolded Tsunami. If money is an issue, it can be hard to find a used Eddyline, but they are definitely out there.

If you’re close to an Eddyline dealer, go try a few. You will feel the difference between thermoformed and rotomolded plastic immediately.

Actually a 13.5
Guy just let me know it is actually a 13.5. Awesome…does this change anyone’s opinion?

Thanks everyone

Major diff
Sandpiper has no perimeter lines and maybe one small bulkhead, will never be a boat for someone who wants to learn more advanced skills because of the huge cockpit. The Tsunami is better equipped in those features.

Forget the material - these are two rather different boats in intended use and flexibility.

That’s for small frame paddlers

– Last Updated: Apr-05-12 10:46 PM EST –

I'm 5'11 and at 240 I could just barely squeeze in my wife's 140. I have the 145 which is the high volume version of the 140 with a higher deck in front. 13.5 is a low volume boat and the front deck is lower than normal, so the first question is would your feet fit in it. Other than that it's still a tsunami which I think is an excellent first boat. Dual bulkheads, perimeter lines, a cockpit you can get a decent skirt for, and those W/S phase III seats.

1 Like

Kayak
I mean I’m 5’10" and 155 lbs but I’d hate to own a woman’s kayak haha. Maybe I’ll keep searching for a 140 or 145.

not a 145
you need to kind of be snug in your seat. If the shadow of your butt doesn’t way 30 lbs you don’t need the high volume boat. You’re boat needs to fit you, that’s why so many people recommend try before you buy. But on the other hand there is a range of sizes that will work so when you’re shopping used so it kind of depends on the local market and your personal cash flow. I’ve had a lot of fun with boats I wouldn’t recommend and there’s only 1 I’ll admit was a waste of money.

Both are great kayaks
As has been stated a few times already, the Tsunami and Sandpiper are very different kayaks. That said…

“If you’re close to an Eddyline dealer, go try a few. You will feel the difference between thermoformed and rotomolded plastic immediately.”

This is probably the best advice written on this thread so far. If you’re in VA, Appomattox River Company is probably your closest dealer where you can try both an Eddyline and a Wilderness.

From what you’ve described as your paddling goals, you may want to take a closer look at the Equinox and the Samba. The Samba would be a bit more performance oriented.

Cheers,

Eddyline

PS - ALL of our kayaks (except our new Sit-on-Top Caribbean) have TWO bulkheads. Even the Sky 10.

Sorry about the bulkhead part
I should have checked your site, mayhaps I was out of date. There is one locally, an older Sandpiper, but it’s been a while since I saw it out on the water.

FWIW, we know someone who picked up a Samba last season and is very happy with it. A couple we know asked us about the boat while we we were 8 hours away in Maine, which was a new boat to us, so we scrambled for a fast hookup to the internet at the cabin next door and got back to them with thumbs up as far as we could see. The woman paddling it has been very happy with the boat.

That said, she is bigger than the Oper, and we haven’t connected for a paddle with the couple for me to get into it. Would the OPer want to investigate some minicell?

A 135 might be fine for you. I’m 5’9", 160lbs and the 135 is my favorite of the Tsunami line.

I’m the same size
as the OP at 5’ 10" I have the Eddyline Samba and it fits great, very high quality, and does exactly what the OP is looking for. It is more expensive than a rotomolded boat, but worth it, in my opinion.