"Wilderness Women"

Takes one to know one
Cheers,

jackL

PS I was always “gay” until they ruined the word.

Now I am always happy.

Define 'Wilderness Woman".
- Can kill and cook a possum with only a pocketknife.

-Can split wood with the best of them.

• Never misses with a rifle.
  • Can raise 7 kids in the outback , mostly by herself.

That would have been my Grandma. I’m not sure about the possum but she could churn butter, make bread, and fry chicken with the best. Those were free range chickens she raised, beheaded. and cleaned herself.The outback was central Florida long before there were paved roads.

there are some…

– Last Updated: Jun-10-06 11:47 AM EST –

All those women in the DC area came from somewhere, and some of them must be missing the woods, mountains, and water they came from. I knew a couple of women in DC who went hang-gliding on the weekends.

There's a lot of whitewater paddling on the Potomac -- might want to check that out.

http://www.coastals.org/
http://www.potomacpaddlesports.com/

Taking a class in a new outdoor activity is always good -- even if you don't meet someone, you've still learned something new & useful, and started making a new series of connections.

And in the evening, check out the area contradances. It's generally a much more adventurous crowd than what you'll find in a bar.

you all are paddling in the wrong places
Up here, women who kayak, backpack, canoe, snowshoe, cross country ski, etc are a lot more common than men who do. Guys seem to congregate around ATVs and snowmobiles. Trying to get them away from those stinky machines is too much trouble (ok, ok, enough with the stereotypes–about both sexes). Seriously, I’ve never been in a place where there are more men than women doing silent sports. Join a paddling club; you’ll meet plenty of women. Join the PATC (potomac appalachian trail club), which is thronging with women, and it’s in the DC area. Backpackers are often kayakers too.

Oh, please
Maybe I’ve been living in a bubble: Greater Boston and metro Denver. Yeah, right, a real bubble, with LOTS of active women around (not necesarily “wilderness” types but definitely good prospects if they already love outdoors sports).

Telling yourself “Everybody I’m interested in is gay” makes a great excuse (I’ve heard it from somebody who literally makes no effort at all to meet women). Or it’s a downer that affects how you behave toward them. Hell, now they probably think you are gay! “That guy might be nice to meet but he sure acts like he doesn’t like women…”

I don’t think most women are interested in men who take no initiative.

YEAH!! WHAT she said!!

convert
my man converted me I use to be a city girl but now give me a paddle over a mall any day some women do convert you just have to keep your eyes open she might be trying to find you but you just don’t see it

Get a chick magnet!
No not a fancy car! Get a nice guide boat or other row boat and row them around while they sit back with the umbrella. You get your oatdoor exercise, they get to pack the picnic. What could be finer. Just don’t forget the bottle of wine or the blanket. Picnicing is no fun when sitting in the sand.

Why would I want to be rowed
around when I can be paddling my own boat?

Agree with TexxasLady
The only “chicks” that will attract are definitely not wilderness types. The latter want to be equal partners in crime!

MCC
http://www.monocacycanoe.org/aboutmcc.html

I converted mine…
I started on our honeymoon by having her climb Mt. Washington in New Hampshire with me, via Tuckerman Ravine of course. It definitely brought us closer together! Since then, we’ve gone on 4-day backpacking trips and even a week canoe trip with another couple. She doesn’t quite have the paddling bug yet, but I’m working on it.

Our first BIG date…canoeing…buffalo…

Well, I spotted him at a friend’s auction…looking

like Christopher Reeve…he didn’t come up for sale…

so, after a first lunch date…our first real date

was excavating Buffalo bones out of the river bank… on his folk’s farm…which we canoed over to…we first paddled my brother’s kayaks at Grand Lake, colo., and dubbed our old canoe…“the Titanic” and got us some Kayaks!!! The Arkansas river is 5 miles from the house, and Kaw Lake is also close, plus many little rivers and creeks that kayaks go up so well… just went to Buffalo River…and we plan to go back ASAP. It’s our special time to kayak and camp…last year we found three Mastodon large bone pieces…just wonder

how we’d get a big bone home…he’s 6’4’, I’m 5’4

so we have our own boats to fit…We’ve been married 20 years and plan to paddle forever…

Guys… if you’re interested in having and helping

a female partner…not just being “one of the Guys”

there are tons of sportsminded women out there…

True love while kayaking …
Smart as…s remarks about to flow

Well there was that:

Ice cold Budweiser

That really big yacht

That babe on that yacht

The mermaid I found

All those sunbathers on the beach when I return.

That really big estate.

That Sunrise

that Moonrise.

That nice bottle of Cabernet.

Damn that sub sandwich was good

Not to mention that cold fried chicken.

True love was the peace and quiet

Love of the ocean

But true love of a paddling partner, have paddled with many but its difficult to find the one thats truly hooked on the sport and will to tolerate the heat, effort, workout, bugs etc.

Brian

Wondering if anyone has ever found love
Finding love while paddling is like finding love anywhere you go…

stop trying to find it, 'cause it will find you when its dam_ed good and ready!! Love interests recognize desperation and guys that try too hard!

As to me, I go paddling to get away from women while try just to find myself.

Scott

Did you find one yet?

Check the closets.
Unless she already owns a kayak, check for a pair of worn hiking boots, a tent, sleeping bag, rain gear, backpack etc… If any prospective date doesn’t already own some of this stuff, you might be barking up the wrong tree.

Many of us had first wives who were “willing to try” things.

My advice: Broaden your search, but limit it to women already known to DO things outdoors. Don’t date anyone “willing to try kayaking” unless she has a history of doing things outdoors, and owns equipment to support it.

careful there,

– Last Updated: Jun-20-06 4:58 PM EST –

there's a fine li(n)e between trying too hard and not trying hard enough. if you really do find a spark, don't let it go out unfanned.

speaking for myself, i want to know the guy is interested enough to a) take the chance, and, b) put forth the effort.

Ya know…
… I was thinking the same thing, but never posted it - LOL. My ad/plea would go like this: seeking adventure minded woman who can paddle, fish, and cook. Must have boat. Please post picture of boat and I’ll msg you if interested. :slight_smile:

or the reverse…
seeking adventure minded man who can paddle, clean fish, and do dishes. Must have boat. Please post picture of boat and I’ll msg you if interested. :slight_smile:

(no, that is not my “ad,” but i couldn’t resist)