Wildfire layups

Does anyone know if the layup is the same in a new Colden Wildfire as one made by Placid? Are there any other major differences? Thanks

I don’t know their layup schedule
(either of them) and its not my business to pry but the Colden WildFire all agree is stiffer.

Don’t want to speak for CEW
but he recently told me the layup in Colden boats was slightly different resulting in a stiffer hull.

Paul showed me several features of their layup schedule while I was admiring a Wildfire at MFS. His approach is really thorough with an extra diamond in the belly, and even 4 inch wide strips to cover overlays to make they look better (this is in the fore and aft bilge area…when impact often occurs). All in all it’s a remarkable layup, infused for light weight and stregth. CEW will have to provide detailed differences…

I just took delivery
of a Colden WF and spoke personally to Paul about the lay-up changes in a conversation with Charlie Wilson and Stevet. I paddled a Bell WF W&G since 1996 and noticed some difference in hull stiffness. The new lay-up is what Stevet adresses in the preceding post. It is stiffer and holds shape better resulting in more responsive handling. The additional weight was off-set by the infused resin trim package developed by Charlie Wilson at Placid canoeworks. Together, these packages provide a lighter but stronger hull which I think will prove to be a new high in the evolution of a great “paddlers” hull, the Wildfire.

I also agree with Stevet that Charlie can shed much more light on this.

Pagayeur

Maybe, but

– Last Updated: Sep-28-11 11:07 AM EST –

I'm under contract not to reveal exact lamination schedules, which are proprietary.

The Bell Black/Gold lamination was pretty stout, the hulls usually running ~ 35 lbs with some upside due to humidity and temperature and hand lamination variabilities.

Placid boatworks added more reinforcing in the bottom, stems and at the seat placement and infused the skittles, resulting in a 15% weight reduction. Of note, one needs add material for infusion schedules because the vacuum compresses the dry fabric, resulting in a loss of beam thickness, hence stiffness. The Placid laminate was stiff and strong, with extra pieces reinforcing the rail mounted seat.

CobraSox rails yield an additional 15% weight reduction.

Paul / Colden determined to bring the bottom football up a little higher and add another carbon bottom and seat diamond reinforcement. The resulting hull is a little heavier and even stiffer laminate; rugged and fast with enhanced river running capability for the hulls intended usage: Lakes/ Rivers up to class III / FreeStyle, but infusion and carbon are pricey options. The best always is.