Wildlife photo thread

What! Absolutely correct! I looked up the scientific name to avoid confusion and saw a Sugar Maple leaf so identified, along with my reference picture. Elsewhere I found the scientific name identified by bark, leaf, height, girth and growing habit, then posted the picture for a starting point. I set aside the sugar maple because I believe it favors forested areas rather than swamps. Your post fortunately pointed out the contradiction that I omitted. Somebody, took the picture, CWDH, noticed it (I didn’t see the forest for the trees, and the leaf wasn’t obvious unless enlarged, so what was CWDH looking for, the ticks on the deer’s neck- criminy), another person speculated, we came “close” to the same leaf, and you found a discrepancy in the name. Let’s start a think tank, where individuals collectively contribute comments, then we reach a concensus. Nah! I always made it a point to avoid being a member of any group that would accept me as a member. Somebody else has to solve this discrepancy.

If you have any doubts and think we are making this up, here’s a picture from the same page, and it grows in the foothills of the same region up through Oregan. I believe eastern sugar maple leaves are smaller. Possibly different growing conditions:

My crappy iPhone photo is deceiving. The leaves are not large, and the fawn was pretty small. Bigleaf maples appear to grow in a fairly limited area. I have long wanted to learn more about trees - I’m so glad I’ve been prompted to do so by this discussion, especially when I am unable to paddle this weekend. And since I’ll be watching for hornet nests when I am on the creek, I think I’ll have lots of opportunities. I ordered a new camera but it’s on backorder for who knows how long. I don’t want to take my good (and heavy!) SLR on the water.

Hate to do this, but looked up fawn maple and dead ended. All I found related was a picture of a milled board showing the grain pattern of the lumber from a fawn maple, and another picture. My guess the deer was standing under some kind of maple.

LOL. The fawn in my pic was the baby deer. It might be a Silver Maple. I have those in my yard and the bark of the tree in my pic isn’t the same, but they are both so close when you look at all the other characteristics.

The maple reminds me of this story. While looking up fawn, I came upon Dawn Redwood. It’s one of three species of deciduous conifers. Native to China, it was considered extinct, until 1942 (?), when live trees were found thriving in Hubei Province, China. Efforts have been made to propagate them and one ended up in my back yard. I know many of you probably know about this intriguing tree, but I wanted to share a prehistoric plant that survived extinction. Mine is about 6 yrs old. Getting close to the165 feet tall maximum height.

Last Friday, I slowed down while paddling one of my often traveled courses. I saw a tree that reminded me of my Dawn Redwood, but it was in water, and the needles were alternated rather than opposing. It’s a bald cypress. Never knew they grew this far north of Virginia. Come to find out. Delaware has the most northern stand of cypress on the east coast of US. Local residents verified they were planted by a waterfront family. Simple things make life grand. The four c

ypress are near Joppatowne, MD.

1 Like

I could not agree more.

You have a good heart.

Oh criminy. What a macaroon. Well, I believe i found a fawn maple, but it’s more likely the lumber sample was actually a color option “Fawn. Maple Species” shown on maple wood sample.

Thanks I saw the deer.

Saccharum vs Saccharinum… Sugar maples are hard maples adapted to drier sites and have way better fall color.

Ah, I see. Thanks. We definitely need a flora thread.

1 Like

Previous homeowner planted a bald cypress near the driveway and I cut it down when it sent a knee up thru the asphalt. Apparently Michigan winters were not a problem.

Dawn redwoods are similar but kneeless. I’ve planted three of them since emerald ash borer came thru, one was taken out by beaver. Highly recommend the Metasequoia glyptostroboides v. Ogon, aka Gold Rush. Like bald cypress they are deciduous, fast growing, and do well in wet soil.

Ok kevburg. You came in strong. But you didn’t further the question. What kind of tick is on deer’s neck. Or what is the tree. Cypress in Michigan!? I am tickled pink to hear that. I want one for my daughters waterfront and your recommendation of the best type goes beyond our pitiful power to resolve this thread, but thst comes close. I’m going to share my research from the life jacket post. Three models rated on top.

Don’t thank me. Thank kevburg

The most recent Pittsburgh alligator has been captured! He’s been spotted all week making his way towards the Monongahela drainage near one of my most frequent paddling sections. Perhaps he would have survived all the dams from there through the all the connected Mississippi feeders to reach the Louisiana Gulf delta, but probably lucky for him that he was picked up by a local police department that has an officer who’s a reptile fancier. Pittsburgh gator is now being fostered.

I admit it would have been pretty cool to see this beautiful critter along the banks of the Mon while I was paddling

1 Like

Just what I wanted to see next to my boat while I’m cooling my hands.

I might be a weirdo, but I think he’s so cute!

That little guy isn’t going to hurt your fingers much. Every gator I’ve seen under 10’ will take off given the chance. The ones that make me nervous are those the size of a kayak that look at you and don’t run.

1 Like

I wish I could find the photo I took along a marsh edge in the Everglades 9 years ago of a clutch of 8 tiny baby gators milling about in a patch of duckweed. They were so cute and making little squeaky noises. I was so charmed while trying to film them I didn’t immediately notice that their 8 foot long mama was heading towards me until my partner noticed and yelped. Made a quick retreat.

1 Like

I thought this tree might be of interest. The wildlife in the photo is my friend Brant that showed me this tree he had found while we were paddling on the Tiger River, here in SC. It is a Shumard Oak.

1 Like

Ha! What a magnificent tree.

Back to the water and would you call this wildlife? This dolphin has learned to beg for fish at a dock near one of our coastal ramps.

1 Like