Wildlife photo thread

Eastern Florida’s Indian River Lagoon: many of these islands were created with dredging spoil, piled up during the building of this part of the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW). Many are now protected for nesting birds. Some are designated for recreation (camping).

3 Likes

And I wants a bird actually eating something closer up like this. I have tons of pix of standing there birds

1 Like

Here’s a morning bonus then!

10 Likes

Very bice
we live on a lake with eight or nine loons and are never in the right place with a camera

Some great photos on this thread. Seeing moose is always exciting from a canoe. A lot of my sightings have been in fast water when photos were not possible.

From an unnamed river in Oregon we saw more than 20 bald eagles in a day, an osprey at least once per hour. Herds of elk swam across the river below camp. Bighorn sheep on the ridges. I took a nap and woke up staring at a mule deer fawn at 15 feet. There were beaver, otter and mink swimming past the boat. Salmon and steelhead. The wildlife was the best I have seen except for maybe a horse and mule pack trip in Wyoming.

Buzzards are very patient.

The following photos are taken from canoes.
Here is a Black Vulture feeding on a dead Whitetail buck caught on a snag in the small Enoree River, SC. You can see a couple more on the bank. This one stayed put as we paddled by closer than our noses liked I might add.

Wood Storks blown inland to the Saluda River, SC by a hurricane that came up from the Gulf of Mexico.

Silver River, FL
Should I eat turtle for supper?

Birds of various feathers.
Nap time.

Down below.

The photo taken just before this one isn’t appropriate for a family website.

4 Likes

Juniper Springs Run to Lake George, FL
just a baby

They were drawn to the smell! :rofl:

odd couple

3 Likes

Not a moose…

1 Like

Not a moose either…

1 Like

Who is watching who???

Yellow-headed blackbird
Marshall Lake | Arizona

3 Likes

Fresh Water
Zebra and Tiger Swallowtail

Mammals

Halloween Swamp Creature

Water Hazards

Softshell and Snapper

Brown Water Snakes

Midlands Water Snake

Prothonotary Warblers like to nest in hollows near or over water

5 Likes

Salt Marsh, Atlantic Ocean, and Bays

Squadron of about 80 Brown Pelicans as we circumnavigated Bull Island, SC

Lesser Yellow Legs

Saltmarsh Sparrow

Sanderling

Dunlin

Black and Royal Terns

Willet

Skimmer

Oyster Catcher

Habor Seal in Penobscot Bay

Bottlenose Dolphins at Sunrise

Canon Ball Jellyfish

Horseshoe Crab

Ghost Crab

Lightening Whelk

Sting Ray

Bonnethead Shark

4 Likes

A few more critters

American Crocodile

Tricolor Heron

Beaver

Cormorants on Lake Marion, SC

1 Like

From a trip through the Black Canyon of the Colorado (below Hoover Dam) about 20 years ago. Bighorn sheep are happy so long as they are above you and can see you. I ducked behind a boulder so he walked over to see where I had gone.

4 Likes

NTP, that sequence is stunning! Both singly and in total.

1 Like

What huge eyes. Holy moly. I don’t think I’ve seen one of those. Thanks for the pic.

Many amazing photos here, and all are interesting. Keep ‘em coming!

Golden eagle | Scholz Lake, Arizona

2 Likes

Roseate Spoonbill

Juvenile Yellow Crowned Nigh Heron

Bard Owl

6 Likes