Will I get bored?

Vote for getting on the water
Any paddler who stays with the sport for a time refines what they want out of a boat. It’s a process that has to start somewhere. So don’t worry too much about finding your perfect boat at the start.

I like the advice of other posters who suggest buying something used, to keep the investment low. A personal theory of mine is that more than half the boats ever sold are sitting out back by the shed and are rarely ever paddled. Their owners either never really took to the sport or they have fallen out of it for any number of reasons. There is a chance you may be like those owners, so keep your investment low until you are more sure you are a paddler.

I started out in an Old Town Camper. Before I had much paddling time, I tried out an Old Town Appalachian. While they were both 16’ green royalex canoes, they are two very different boats. Thinking back on it now, I am shocked that I could not notice any difference between those two boats. A new wine drinker may not be able to differentiate between a Merlot and a Cabernet. Whereas a gourmet can easily tell the difference and can differentiate by year and region, even among the same wines. As a new paddler, I was like the new wine drinker, could not notice any difference.

I estimate it takes me 100 hours of paddling to fully appreciate new paddling gear (boat or paddle). Some of this is because over a short length of time you will not paddle the boat in all conditions. I notice differences the first hour, can make some solid conclusions after ten hours, but little nuances will continue to reveal themselves over a longer period of time. I think most paddlers will feel a couple hours is enough, and maybe for them it is, but give each piece of equipment some time.

So, my advice is make your best guess, keep your cost low, get out on the water, start having fun, and see where it takes you.

~~Chip

getting bored with the Glide
I started kayaking last year, and my first boat was a Glide. It is fun, highly manueverable, great on twisty, slow rivers, and always fun to paddle. That said, I found myself wanting a faster boat for the larger lakes. That boat ended up being a Manitou 13. The Glide is great, but it isn’t my distance or speed boat.

The only kayak I regret purchasing is the Co-Motion. I wanted to paddle with my older daughter. For the way I use a kayak, I won’t purchase another SOT. Still, our guests love the Co-Motion as it is so easy to learn.

Borrow a kayak first and figure out what matters to you. Any boat is still a great way to relax on the water.

Are you in the Northeast? There are

– Last Updated: Sep-16-10 9:53 PM EST –

some great places to buy boats in this area that allow and encourage test paddles. You seem to have more than the average interest of a newbee. You might be willing to take a day to "go shopping".

OPPS, I just scrolled down and saw your other post.

Who me?
Hmm,very interesting reply. I would love to hear more about this hypothesis, but I guess this is probably not the place for it.

consider a longer kayak
I agree that a longer boat (12 - 14’) would be more versatile and would probably take longer to outgrow. Perhaps something like the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120: http://www.kayakreview.org/go/pungo120/

You could
approach the local paddling groups first and see if they have an outing suited for newer paddlers. They often have demo days and swap meets so you might even luck up and find someone willing to let you demo a boat they are looking to sell.

Money was an issue for me on my first kayak so I opted to build a Pygmy. Not only had I not demo-ed the boat, I had not even kayaked. This was a winter project and by early spring I had a sweet ride and haven’t been bored since…save those months on a sit on top,

If you meet up with a club or group you might also get in on some pool sessions and have a roll before you take to the water. How rare is that?

?
Boats and speed and boats. Dont let me get bored… I want a faster boat so I dont get fricking bored.

Give me a break…Jesus guys, kayaking is about being out there and feeling it. Its about being free from the BS of the day or week. Gliding along seeing things that are totally out of your normal routine. Theres no speed to this lifestyle.