Wing paddle racers question?

Where is the top of your blade in relation to the top of the water during your stroke?

I just shortened my paddle length by a cm and am wondering if I had been going a bit too deep.

I now have the top of the blade just below or near the water level.

thanks in advance,

JackL

OMG Jack
Adjusting each side by a quarter of an inch. That is way more precise than I am, LOL. You know I don’t know squat about wing paddles but everything that I have read indicates that the top of the blade should be just even with the water when paddling with your normal stroke.

I have the ONNO which is about 5 cm too long, (215) and a cut down Lightning, (210), that is just right according to the above. I use both and don’t really note a differance after I get started. I have started talking to Patrick about a wing and will determine length by giving him the shaft length of my current ONNO less 5cm. and let him determine the overall paddle length from that.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

just to the top, no shaft
The entire blade should be buried but just the blade. Any shaft in the water is extra drag and the deeper you bury the blade the more difficult the exit. If you really sink the blade, sucking it out at the back of the stroke really puts on the breaks.

Thanks
I was hoping that would be the answer.

I did a seven miler today at my race speed with it at 212 vs the 213 that I have been using the past year, and the top of the blade was right where you describe.

I know now why I used to work myself to death with the darn thing because I started with it last year at 220.

Today was nice and comfortable too.

Cheers,

JackL

A suggestion:
Get it with the adjustable ferrule.

I guarantee you that what ever length you start with you won’t stay with.

Cheers,

JackL

212 feels great to me.
I dropped from 213 to 212 over the past year in my T-bolt & now 213 feels long. My first wing in “87” was 218. Might go even lower in my DR boat, maybe 208 or 9 & 211 T-bolt. My adj. mid goes 213-223 & will probably try to cut it down to approx. 206-216. I have found shortening to be easier on old elbows, better upstream/wind, shallows & seem to finish stronger in long races.