Winter hobbies for paddlers?

Heck I’m just south in Coeur D’Alene. Hoping to end up in the Athol or Bayview area again.
Between lake Coeur D’Alene to the South and upper Priest lake on the North end there are so many great lakes around here to play on and explore!

Increasingly, my paddling buddies have taken to hiking, so if I can’t get them out on the water, I hike. May do my first hike of the year tomorrow. :frowning_face:

7 exercises by Bob and Brad, " the most famous physical therapists on the internet".
These are quick and can be done when you are house bound.

1 Like

Bob and Brad are a hoot, but have some pretty good stuff. My winter “hobbies” are getting inside stuff done that I’ve ignored when the water is liquid. I’ve been good about getting in my 45 minutes of brisk walking each day, but since November have ignored my erg. Now paying the price as I’ve started rowing again.

I’ve been in a boot soft cast or ankle brace for three months by the time I get cleared hopefully next week. Been able to ride the bike a bit but couldn’t get the kayak out.
Be careful out there it’s been a real PITA… or PITfoot
Our weather is great for paddling this time of year.

Been there. Good to hear you are getting out of it.

I live close to Tampa, so we only get three or four days that you can’t paddle in. Those days you tie flies or such.

Snowshoe when we get enuff snow.

You know I tried to NOT post this…but I just had to with this topic.

2 Likes

Hit the Concept 2 with more regularity and go curling 3 times a week. Ride bicycles when the weather and road conditions allow.

Curling as in pushing rocks around on ice?

1 Like

Just watched a segment on curling videoed at a local curling club (there are several up here in the boonies). A lot more involved and physically demanding than it looks.

What I haven’t figured out is how they stay upright on slick ice. One guy looked like he was wearing rubber bands around his sneakers.

I read and see others work… watch YouTube tutorials try to come up with more creative ideas.

Paddle. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As long as the water is liquid, it’s paddling season. :grin: I’m in Seward, AK, and one of the reasons I chose this place is that it’s the northernmost ice-free bay/port in Alaska. Can even paddle in the fjords, surrounded by ice (glaciers/icebergs) in winter.

Leap years represent an extended paddling season (every day counts, after all).

Dress for it, have some paddling/survival skills, and it’s paddling season year 'round.

2 Likes

Outdoor fun for me isn’t really seasonal. In winter you’ll find me paddling (with a dry suit) wherever I can find liquid water, or snowshoeing, or skating, or backcountry camping, or trip planning, or writing and sharing trip reports with friends, or attending outdoors-themed conferences or trade shows, or catching a paddling film fest, or … there’s so much to do.

Here in the Pacific Northwest we still kayak this time of year, but it tends to be wetter, even without capsizing. This picture was taken just after New Year’s.

1 Like

Yes. Played all over the US, Canada, and Europe. Great social sport too. Play a game and then have numerous adult beverages with your opponent. Great way to spend the winter.

Since I posted the question, it has become more spring like every day here.

Exploring the outdoors on foot is always a good option. Yesterday and today were somewhat spring-like (40F) but still loads of ice on the bay and the NWS just issued a statement about an incoming “impactful” winter storm.