Winter Training.Which Rowing Gloves?

I’ve started training on a Concept2 Rowing Machine about 4 weeks ago. After 2 weeks I found I needed gloves so I pulled on my NRS finger-less Paddling Gloves which help out tremendously. I’m looking for something better. Does anyone use GRIPADs? Any better ideas?

bike gloves
have u tried bicycling gloves?

Batting gloves
I use batting gloves.

Speaking as an oarsman and sculler,
I never wore gloves in seven years of hard training. Blisters, yes, but my hands toughened up and didn’t blister often in the long run.

Few oarsmen wore gloves back in the 60s. I don’t know what folks are doing today. I do wear gloves at times when paddling, mostly for better grip and for UV protection.

no gloves
I have paddled the general Clinton regatta (70 miler)

4 times and had the same amount of blisters when using gloves as when I went gloveless. The blisters

were less pronounced when I was properly conditioned.

Calouses are good!

a good Talcum powder like Gold Bond
I logged over 17 million meters on C2 Ergometers and I have a never used gloves. I also do not use gloves for warm weather/water paddling. I work in an office so my hands are not outdoor-laborer hard. However I do have plenty of callouses from rowing. They do take some time to build up. If you are new to indoor rowing please ease yourself in, even if you are in good shape. Rowing is demanding on both your body and mind, but the benefits are great.

I find that talcum powder certainly helps reduce hand irritation and severe blisters, particular when I do a long pieces.

I’m not a wimp am I?
g2d baldpaddler and tvcrider, You make me sound like a wimp. And what’s this deal about being properly conditioned? I put on 12 to 20 miles a week in the boat and most of it in one day a week. My hands are about as conditioned as they can be. I never paddle with gloves if I can help it but for the cold. If I rowed for no more than 30 or 40 minutes on the rowing machine I wouldn’t need gloves either but 1 hour is a different story. I have read lots of articles that mention how hard the Concept2 handles are for blisters. I ordered two pair of GRIPADs for my wife and I today through Amazon. I’ll let you know if they are any good. Thanks for the advice all.

Ok, I’ll bite. You are not a wimp ; - )
I find that time-on-the-water paddling/kayaking does not toughen up my hands (e.g. callouses) for dry-land rowing. Only rowing does that.

Like many sports, progressive time on the C2 is an important, but each of us are different. You have been using a C2 for four weeks. I have been using one for 20 years. I also row year-round, although I do cut back on my meters in warm weather.

You are spot on with your comment about rowing for an hour or more. The most common C2 ergo workout for me is 10,000m. On average it takes me 45-48 minutes to complete at a moderate pace. 10,000m does not beat up my hands the way a 15,000m workout or half-marathon (21,097m) does. I would suggest the you gradually increase your time/distance. If you just started 4 weeks ago I suspect you have the aerobic endurance for a 1 hour row, but not the hand conditioning.

My workout progression for increased time or distance went something like this: 8,000,–>10,000m–>12,000m–>15,000m–>21,097m. It normally takes me about 2 months, if I already have completed a decent base (a number of 5-10k workouts) When ramping up rowing for my non-paddling off-season (mid-Oct to April) I tried jumping from 10k to 15k. I found that too large a reach, hence the bridge workouts of 12k.

Final words: YMMV. Hey if you find that gloves work for you wear them! Regrettably gloves did not add to my rowing comfort.

Tip: make sure you check your form against the various C2 videos. If you really want to beat-up you hands sign-up for C2’s annual 200,000m Holiday challenge.

I must have missed the part

– Last Updated: Nov-28-11 11:55 AM EST –

...where you complained about callouses, I thought you were looking for warmth.

Now then - I have a pair of these. Snug fitting, warm enough and the price is right:

http://waldensridgewhitewater.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=411

Gripads
I received my new Gripads yesterday. I rowed a little over an hour today or about 13,000 meters. Gripads do protect my hands but they also put my fingers to sleep. Maybe they will stretch out a little in a few days. I can not yet recommend them. I’m still looking for ideas out there if anyone else has any ideas. Weight lifting gloves and bike gloves are too short in the fingers. I get blisters just below my first knuckle because the 1/2 fingered gloves are too short.

NRS full-fingered gloves?

– Last Updated: Dec-02-11 10:59 PM EST –

You said that fingerless gloves are great except that you get blisters where they don't cover. Well, it seems like the obvious choice is to get the ones with fingers. I actually use them for rowing (boats, not an exercise machine) and I think they are pretty nice. I'm also amazed at how well they hold up. The protection from blisters is due to the fit, not the thickness of padding, and they won't give you the same problems as those humongous and bulky Gripads you are trying.

One other thing: When rowing long hours early in the season before my hands are toughened up, I find that a good way to prevent blisters is to alter my grip. Sometimes curl your fingers a little more than normal, and sometimes curl them a little less. That will spread out the wear and tear across a larger area. Doing so won't change a thing about the pulling action.

A problem I would anticipate with
gloves on a rowing machine is that moisture building up in the gloves will cause surface skin to soften and be scrubbed more quickly off the hands.

I started wearing thin synthetic leather gloves while paddling because, in spite of a lifelong record of excellent hands while rowing and paddling, I developed an unusual psoriasis on my palms and fingers, with skin thickening and cracking. A strong prescription steroid ointment has brought considerable improvement. The gloves get wet while paddling, and they soften the thickened skin areas so that I can friction away the excess. Then with excess skin removed, the steroid ointment penetrates more effectively.

But when my hands were “normal,” such gloves would have led to losing valuable callouses. I still have callous remnants left from rowing and sculling, even though I stopped rowing decades ago.

Obviously, one can try gloves and no gloves.

Gripads Update
I just rowed for another hour with the Gripads. They seem to have loosened up some. They are bulky Guide Boat Man. But they are very easy on the hands. NRS does make the best rowing gloves in the business for sure. I’ve used the same pair of fingerless gloves for some 15 years now. Great fit. I do like the idea of a full finger glove. If these Gripads don’t fall into place I think I’ll do that. Thanks Guide Boat Man.

Other kinds of gloves
Cycling gloves have enough padding that you might not want those.

I bought a pair of lightweight work gloves from the old Wild Oats that would probably work great for indoor rowing. They have a double-layer of synthetic suede on the palms; the sides and top are made of a thin but tough mesh. Full-fingered and snug-fitting, not at all like typical work gloves. Could be used for driving, gardening, and other uses.