Winter wear suggestions

4/3?
Sorry bro, What’s 4/3?

Tommy

Historical & not making a recommendation

– Last Updated: Dec-04-05 10:46 AM EST –

By chance I talked with one of the origional hardcore Maine paddlers when I called about a boat classified ad he had placed. He paddled in the 70's 80's I believe if I remember the conversation correctly as it was a few years back. Because of the limited options for equipment in those days he talked about their improvised use of a full set of Neoprene fishing waders coupled with the drytops of that day and age in which they had improvised a system (not sure how) to get a reasonably tight seal of the dry top to the waders at the waist. Apparently for its' day and age it was effective, but I don't have a clue of where it would stack up against today's options on the bell curve. I did think it was interesting Yankee ingenuity.

Small slow rivers, cold water
I figure if I’m on a small river, say 30’ wide, with minimal current, then the worst case scenario has me in the water for less than a minute and swimming for less than that.

In those conditions I’m OK with a change of clothes in a drybag because A. a swim is highly unlikely and B. I know from experience that I can walk out of sub 40 degree water with little or no ill effects.

Add current or distance to shore and I start wanting more immersion protection.

If you have never gone in in the conditions you are likely to be paddling in, I’d suggest that you try it, idealy with a warm car or other changing place and a good hot cuppa nearby. That way you will have a good idea what you can tolerate.

Tommy

Designation For Varying Thicknesses
4/3 = 4mm body, 3mm arms and legs. 3/2 is 3mm body and 2mm arms/legs. Winter suit can actually be 6/5/4 – 6mm body, 5mm arms and 4mm legs. Most winter suits have built in hoods to further minimize flushthrough the neck opening area. Smaller back zippers, with overlapping external flap and a inside neoprene panel, stretching across from shoulder to shoulder, also minimize flush through from the zipper.

Again, the newer surfing wetsuits use much more flexible neoprene than what one normally finds in the farmer johns for paddling.

sing

eyes
Hi Sing

What do you use to protect your eyes?

Best Wishes

Roy

Hmmm…
the water doesn’t bother my eyes. The low winter sun does right now. Last two times out on sunny days, my eyes were burning, even with sunglasses on. Much rather have overcast day than staring into the glare and sun.

sing

Thanks
for the reply

Best Wishes

Roy

Well…
couldn’t have been in the 70’s. Neoprene waders didn’t come until the 80’s. I know because I used rubber waders until the neoprene came out. Bought the first generation ones that had nylon only on the outside and raw neo on the inside. I had to “roll” the waders on.

The neo waders, provided snug fit, are similar to wetsuit except the lack of upper chest, upper back and neck protection. I supposed a good insulating neo top under the waders and a drytop over that could work okay.

Don’t use, I REPEAT, DON’T use rubber waders under a drytop. Rubber waders fill and act like sea anchors. That was one of the primary reason why I switched from rubber waders to neo waders. Learned that from falling into the river a couple of times with rubber waders on.

sing

Sounds to me like…
what you are wearing is what I would be wearing on those type rivers, and yes we always keep a extra set of warm clothes in a dry bag.

Cheers,

JackL

Read Sing’s Warning

– Last Updated: Dec-04-05 1:18 PM EST –

He is more then correct about the danger of rubber waders. Also want to reaffirm that I am not advocating neoprene waders with a dry top. Just thought I would toss in a little historical trivia (must have been the 80's)on the discussion, but a cold water failure as we all know can be catastrophic. I've been involved in two river rescues (spring waters)that almost failed and witnessed one that did and hypothermia was a contributing issue in all three.

I always Listen To Brian’s Advice
He is one of the sages of this site. The link below has a really nice discourse on cold water safety

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/ExpertCenter/Coldwater/Coldwater-1.shtml

Lou

Next Time
Go wade out in the water and stick your head in and see how warm you feel. If you can’t take that, don’t go out in a kayak on cold water.

Clever
Not bad advice, really, but delivered in ass-like fashion. You can probably do better.

C.

By the time…
you assemble the layers to make a paddling drysuit warm enough - hydroskin or Mystery top underneath or over, drytop, maybe splash pants (neoprene is NOT warm in the windx once wet need a wind barrier)… you will often find that you are nearly at the same price point as a more basic drysuit or semi-dry suit on sale. Except that you can wear the latter year round, for ex on a rainy warm day with little under it, and the heavy duty neoprene will spend a significant part of the year hanging in the closet.

Strongly suggest that you really add up the separate costs of the quality layers you’ll need for temps in the 40’s and lower 50’s going the neoprene and drytop route, then compare it to prices of drysuits you can get on sale.