Wish for real waterproof head light.

water ressistant
Did I get it wrong, the ad I saw says the heads up light is only water resistant not waterproof.

best value ever
the

Buy direct from Pelican
http://pelicanlights.ca/pelicanstore/results.tpl?action=full&cart=33107911282987992&–eqskudatarq=2600&id=961680

Water resistant to 500’ … and Pelican’s ad has it on a diver with a dive mask on … and it is on sale for under $30. Bob

LSS says,
“watertight,” but who knows? I would trust Pelican’s first hand words.

Taj

NOT WATERPROOF
I emailed them. They informed me it is NOT waterproof unfortunately. I asked if waterproof and to what standard.

Their reply

It is water resistant only.

===================================================

Carmen Aubin

The Pelican Store 1-800-276-3346

Telephone 1-613-821-2470 Fax 1-613-821-2766

Well, if you want to get serious
Here is a very nice unit. It’s good to 550ft. You have red led’s 40hrs burn time, white LED’s 12hrs, 15watt Halogen 1.5hrs. Expensive, but and excellent unit. The 15watt should not create enough heat to harm the unit above the water.

A 25watt halogen out of the water can melt down.

http://www.niteriderdive.com/6vt.htm

Here’s one that I like…
http://www.uwkinetics.com/ProductDisplay_prmenbr=91%26prrfnbr=5246.htm

I’ve used this one a couple of times and I personally verify that it is waterproof to at least 5 feet. As I’ve dropped one while it was on in the lake and it still worked perfectly.

Here’s a link to Underwater Kinetics Home Page:

http://www.uwkinetics.com/

They make some pretty cool stuff.

Scott

Petzl
Just came back from a dive trip. I believe it’s http://www.petzl.com

They have dedicated dive lights … but the smaller teknas are also made to be worn in rain.

I carry a UK mini 4 (Underwater Kinetics) and it is submersible to 200 feet.

Bob

250 foot advertisec waterproof rating

– Last Updated: Dec-13-04 4:20 PM EST –

on the aurora. Just send 'em back.

My .02
I’ll side with the testimonials for the field durability of the old P T Matrix. I’m really hard on equipment and don’t do much to keep my gear conditioned. I just carry spares for the inevitable failures, but the one piece of gear that has seen more than it’s fair share of abuse and keeps on working is my old Matrix.

Most recently, while on my November Assateague solo trip the headlamp took a little swim in the briny marsh. It was evening and the lamp was helping me locate my dinner of beautifully briny mussels when I accidentally dislodged the strap from my head and plop, the lamp was in the drink. The flow was strong along the marsh edge and I watched the light flutter along as it washed along toward the bay. I finally caught up as the light bumped into an eddied area and I snatched the light and placed it back upon my head. Unlike my similar experience with a Petzl, the unit suffered not a lick and performed wonderfully the following night when I found myself crossing the bay during an hour-long squall. A couple of weeks later, when I finally got around to dealing with my gear, I checked out the lamp to assure myself that it was ready for my next outing. Bottom line, not a sign of failure, sand and salt around the outside, but nothing beyond the o-ring. Yep, all ready to go…

As you can gather, I’m a bit jaundiced about the Petzl line (in my book, nice to look at, nice features, but not for winter travel upon the water). I also have a personal prejudice about external power systems (I just don’t like an extra piercing of my light housing - seen many corroded failures returned to the local REI). I do prefer simple systems such as the Matrix as they’ve no buttons to fail and the only access points are behind the gasket integrated battery case and behind the o-ringed screw-down lamp lens.

Again, it’s only my .02

UW Kinetics
Makes a great pocket flash at 2 cells, AAA size. Use it frequnetly, no switch, have to rotate on. I carry it at all times home and work, in pocket. After 6-9 months, the contacts and lubrication give out some so I replace it. That’s daily use using one hand to turn on. Water proof? Sure looks like it, no qualms on pitching it in salt or fresh water, no electronics to short, o-ring sealed, no other leak source. Reliable and bright.

UK service is great!
I just contacted Unerwater Kinetics as to the availability/price of getting two dive mask attachment straps for my 2 Mini Q40s … and they are sending them to me FREE! Now that’s service! Slip on a headband and attach the light and I am ready to night paddle. I am also going to REI and get a couple of Petzl LED headband lights for use around the camp (Xmas gifts) … way cool product. Bob

Hane to 2nd ImpalaBob…
I contacted UK about getting some parts for my UK2AAA and they just sent me 4 band new lights with batteries.

As far as waterproofness, I knew they were supposed to be waterproof but after reading the packing (first time) I noticed that they say it’s waterproof to 50 feet and should withstand a 6 foot drop onto concrete.

Scott

maglites dont do salt water
the stainless spring with patteries and aluminum corrroded mine shut.