With the economy, changes in your canoe

trip for 2009?

If so, what are you changing?

With the economy, I’m wondering if it is going to affect trips to the BWCA or Quetico

Low gas prices
will actually allow some trips I put off last year with +$4.00/gal.

My personal economy has improved due to lower gas prices. I filled up for $1.53 this morning.

Not Me
Health issues stopped my 2-3 trips up the Gunflint Trail a few years ago, late Spring caused me to cancel my May lake trout trip this year, but the economy would not likely cause me stay away from Canoe Country. After my 25 or 30 trips I can FIND a way to save enough bucks to make the 1000 mile trip up there and back. The times I’ve been low on finances are the trips I’m more likely to NOT avail myself of outfitters services; those are the times I do my own food pack, don’t stay in a bunkhouse before and B&B’s after the trip, don’t buy a shirt or a new cap, etc. Of course, one thing I NEVER forego is a Sven-n-Oles’s Uff-da-Zah after my trip! WW

Planning 2-3 trips this year.
In 2008 I made no trips to either Minnesota or Canada. Not necessarily due to gas prices but I spent more time in Wisconsin and Michigan last summer. Planning 2 trips to BWCAW this summer and one to Ontario. As long as I plan ahead, i can save enough to cover the fuel and like WW I just cut back on the extras if fuel is high.

My spring 2007 trip to BCAW
was with gas prices above $2.00, up to about $2.40.

If they stay in that range I will do everything in my power to get up there again (a four day round trip for me).

Jim

No changes
I’m still planning to attempt to circumnavigate all the Great Lakes next year. I’m a little worried about jobs after the trip. Hopefully, I’ll still have the same one. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that. We hope to get over
to your Ozarks. Right now, retirement income still allows travelling, though the drop in stock prices reduced one stock-based source by more than half. I think that in ten years, or less, our income will not have kept up with the cost of living.

Going over to the local river this afternoon. One day it might be my only river.

Changes in 2009
Instead of one bwca trip and one vacation elsewhere, we will be headed to the bwca twice next summer. We live in Minneapolis, and have our own gear so a bwca trip is cheap for us. The hard part is deciding where to go!

circumnavigations
Bryan please keep us posted about your planned expedition. I have thought about doing the same circumnavigations sometime.

I’ve set up a website
I’ve set up a website to keep people posted on the trip, etc… With the great cell coverage over much of the trip, I’m going to be Twittering the expedition.

The website is: http://www.aroundthegreatlakes.com

When you are on Lake Erie in WNY
Contact me and and Hopsing when you are coming near Buffalo NY. We live near Lake Erie. If you need food, a place to rest, etc. we could probably help you out.

No changes here
We put three guys in the truck so gas, trip food, and post trip lodging run us about $300/guy. That is a bargain vacation anywhere.

The party might be OVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28274997/

Not an issue - yet
I made my annual trip to Sawbill last summer when gas was high. Unless I loose my job, plans are to do it again. And maybe even if I do I will just to maintain my sanity. House and cars paid for…

Well, if things continue…
the way they are going, I may have lots and lots of extra time for tripping!!!

trips
Health issues stopped my 2-3 trips up the Gunflint Trail a few years ago, late Spring caused me to cancel my May lake trout trip this year, but the economy would not likely cause me stay away from Canoe Country. After my 25 or 30 trips I can FIND a way to save enough bucks to make the 1000 mile trip up there and back. The times I’ve been low on finances are the trips I’m more likely to NOT avail myself of outfitters services; those are the times I do my own food pack, don’t stay in a bunkhouse before and B&B’s after the trip, don’t buy a shirt or a new cap, etc. Of course, one thing I NEVER forego is a Sven-n-Oles’s Uff-da-Zah after my trip! WW

Sorry you missed out a couple of yers because of health. Hope all is ok now. I only use outfitters for a canoe since I don’t want to car top a canoe 650 miles one way. As for O’s, great place. Last year they even gave me a bumper sticker so I can drive around here in N. MO and western IL spountin’ off. Ha!

not changing
We will go up in September for sure and maybe one time earlier (650 miles one way) like we did last year. I’ve only missed a year in the BW/Superior area three times since 1969. Of course, if there is a gas shortage then …Hope not.