wondering about floatation aids ......

… thinking about carrying a bouy ring on the canoe . Usually always have a throw cushion , partially that’s habbit from other type boats … but we sit on it too sometines . Hasn’t been tested to see if it still performs 100% for a long time and since thinking about a back up for it … bouy ring enters my mind .

Have never needed to throw the cushion or a bouy ring to aid anyone yet but it doesn’t seem like it would be a big deal to have a bouy ring onboard .

I know there are throw bags available , don’t own one and wonder if they have any supplemental floattaion for the person in the water like a bouy ring or throw cushion does ??

Does anyone else use a bouy ring ??

throw bags
Typically throw bags have only a small foam disk at the base of the bag so that the bag floats, but it wouldn’t provide any significant flotation for a person.

No particular reason you couldn’t carry a flotation ring, but it would be far better if everyone just wore a good quality PFD.

so a throw bag is basically …
… a method of getting a rope out to someone in hopes they can grab it and be pulled in … I kinda thought that but wasn’t sure .

Do you think a tethered ring bouy could be thrown as far as a throw bag ??

No way ! (unless you are talking WW)
Ring bouys are only good for large boats that could be thrown for a short distance from up on a deck above the water where the thrower can have a good solid stance.

If you are in a canoe, you would be close enough to paddle to the person, since you could probably only toss the ring ten or fifteen feet.

In WW it might make sense, but if you are talking flat water, I think you would be wasting your money. Just get another float cushion.

Jack L

Ropes and rings

– Last Updated: Feb-09-11 8:45 AM EST –

Neither of these devices are helpful to a person who is unconscious, so in both cases you are dealing with someone who should be able to attach themselves to it. The buoy ring of the size used in motor boats has a slight advantage if someone has limited use of an appendage, but that scale of object would be tough to throw well from a paddle boat even if it wasn't a storage issue.

Throw bags tend to come with rope that floats, so visibility is not a problem, and are intended to be used in an environment where the person being rescued is wearing a PFD. If someone is not wearing a PFD, it can make the rescue more difficult. But there's a matter of personal responsibility and judgment here too. There's only so much you can ask equipment to handle.

carry a spare wratchet strap for throwin

The bigger they are the farther you can throw them.

ha , you caught that did ya …
… it was true though and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again that way if I needed too , worked great .

you need this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqMS_xEsUIw

actually

I figured you were trolling and wanted to lend a hand. It’s winter.

opps, mistakes happen though …
… guess your on your own with the trolling , clarion . As entertaining as it is I’ve never understood the need so can’t help you there .

About winter … good guess , it’s half correct also . People who think too much of and about their own oppinions usually have a difficult time considering the validity of anothers thoughts on a matter . Often it happens that they may respond as though they have been insulted when another adds details that may consider others outside their realm of thought .

that Long Reach rescue device …
… really seems like a great idea . Very cool !!

I tried to determine what it’s propellant was after seeing your linked vid. . After about the 7th site I searched I finnally found mention of it’s propellant source … low yield butane/oxtgen mix .

I’ve used some Passload nail guns that use similar cartriges … eliminates the conpressed air hose and compressor used with tradirional nail guns .

Should it come on the market I’d imagine it will be an expensive device .

agree it 's something to consider Celia

– Last Updated: Feb-09-11 11:21 PM EST –

....... like you and jackl have said about the ability to effectively deploy a ring bouy to a useful distance from a canoe .

I've never thrown one from a canoe before ... and then there's the thought about wether to have a line attached to the ring bouy or not . Obviously if you make a poor throw it would be ideal to get it back quick and try again . Seems just as obvious an attached line would limit throwing distance and maybe impede accurracy some .

I'm still thinking it couldn't hurt anything to have one onboard , even with limits it could be important someday .

and every law enforcement
officer that sees it will probably take it and you to some secure place till they figure out what it is an if if it’s legal . I sure wouldn’t go near any “secure” area’s with it .

No
No one uses a buoy ring.

Anyone in my canoe wears a pfd, always.

I carry a throw bag… and I can throw it, mostly because idiots in rental canoes frequent my turf and they

tend to use their pfd’s for seat cushions.

IMO
no false humility here.

It is difficult to get a good throw with a rope from the canoe. Throw rope rescues are generally shore based for that reason. It would be harder with something bulky like a ring or cushion. Far easier and faster to simply paddle to the person in need and assist.

That said a spare flotation device could be useful once you got there.