wood kayak wear and tear

A reply a few weeks ago stated that people only paddle stippers for a few years, Stitch and glue kayaks last longer. Any truth to this? Any differnce on maintaining the two?

amusing, but incorrect
There is no difference in how you maintain the two.

Both are a wood core encased in epoxy and fiberglass, so there should be no difference in the expected lifespan.

Correcto Mundo

I would say it’s more in the mind set of the builder.

Most people with wood boats have built there own.

Strippers take more dedication to the building process so even more addicting.

So every few years the urge is so great they have to sell it and start over.

Just my take… GH

the only argument…
…I can see is perhaps that most wood strip boats use “regular” wood glue to hold the strips together where as S&G use superior quality epoxy mixed with a filler as the glue between seams.

Perhaps if there is a deep enough gouge to get to a glue line, it would be more damaging than if the glue line was made from epoxy. This is of course if you don’t take care of the boat and let the damage go unrepaired.

This is a pretty extreme example and NOT an absolute for all cases.

Tightbond makes a waterproof glue now that pretty much eliminates that argument.

Just thought of one more instance, but again, it’s on the end of being an extreme case: Strippers rely more on good craftsmenship than a typical S&G. So perhaps if they “fall apart” sooner it was because of the way it was built.

No.
The life of a strip built canoe or kayak, or a S&G built, is not 2-4 years. It is not dependant on which glue is used provided it is not a kids washable glue. The fiberglass and resins don’t make much difference either. Skill or craftmanship in building is mainly aesthetic unless it is truly a sloppy building job.

The boats last nearly forever as long as they are valued and cared for. I’ve done both canoes and kayaks as strippers, one kayak S&G, and my strippers have 3 and 6 years of heavy use and some abuse. Still going strong, fast, and light.

yes
if it’s not waterproof glue and water gets to it, not good.

no truth to it, no difference
The one shortcoming to wood boats is that you cannot keep the compartments closed up for any length of time when off the water. Any amount of moisture inside a closed commpartment will eventually steam into the wood if the kayak is exposed to the sun repeatedly. The water vapor eventually finds microscopic holes in the thin areas of the inside coating resulting in a darker coloration compared to the cockpit. I find this more on s&g kayaks that are slapped together in week long classes or by folks who are afraid to provide more than one interior sealing coat.

It’s a cosmetic and not a structural issue.

I agree…
the examples I gave above are pretty extreme.

Generally, it’s a matter of cosmetics and desired build time.

Arguments could be made for cost as well but that’s a little off track.

okoume/cedar
I’m not sure about the difference of the two to absorb water but Okoume plywood is like a sponge without any natural resistance to mildew stains compared to some woods.

wood type has nothing to do
with how long a boat will last. Properly coating the wood and maintaining the coating so that water or moisture doesn’t effect the wood is what will determine how long it will last.

You dont vent your bulkheads?

1/16" hole
doesn’t air out a compartment. Yes it’ll reduce the pressure of a warmed up compartment and I assume could reduce the vapor pressure but I’ve seen okoume develop black staining through the 4mm wood in a kayak that had no bulkheads but did have a float bag. The wet float bag kept moisture trapped against the wood. Good point though,a vent would help but if there’s a wet article of clothing in the compartment and the kayak sits on the roof of the car a couple days it’ll get steamy in there.

thanks for the info