wooden paddle storage

I have recently purchased a wooden touring paddle. I am deciding how I will store it. Does anyone who uses, or has used wooden paddles have any suggestions? I have already contacted the manufacturer, who was very helpful, but thought there may be those on the boards here that may have first hand experiences to add to his suggestions.

Thanks,

j_tuc

Gun Sock
Check out a sporting goods store and get a gun sock for storing rifles. They make great cases for only $5-6. They keep the halves together and keep it from getting straches.

I love my Grey Owl.

Not A Problem
I have no idea of what kind of wooden paddle you have, but the damn thing is designed to be used in water! There’s very little that can damage it in storage. It’s been oiled or varnished or poly-ed to protect it against the elements. Just stick it someplace where you won’t be banging it around all the time & chipping it and you’ll be fine. Just don’t store it in the fireplace. :slight_smile:

I noticed…
I noticed the original poster was a kayak paddler; so I’m assuming they are asking about storing a wooden, kayak paddle. Perhaps they aren’t worried about the finish; perhaps the question is where/how to store it? I would suggest that you do “not” stand it over in a corner somewhere, unless you want it to warp. Also would not store them close to any heat source. All the wooden paddles that I care anything about are hung on wooden paddle racks I built or had built.

BOB

tool hangers
I got a bunch of tool hangers from a home improvement store. (great deal…free after store rebate) They hold 4 paddles and screw onto the wall in our shop. I throw an old sock over handles or t-shirt over the blade to keep the paddles from getting nicked. I have staggered heights for different lengths. We can store a lot of paddles in a small area this way.

Landscape timber spikes are a quick way to make a rack. Nail into a wall, tilting the nails slightly upward. Slip a piece of hose over the nails and you’re done. Make sure to leave enough space between nails to have room for paddle shafts after the hose is added.

Another paddle rack option is built from two 2x4s screwed into either side of a wall stud. A small angle brace on each 2x4 keeps them from sagging. A lot of paddles can be stored this way, but it’s harder to get at the ones in the back. Works well if you have a lot of paddles of one size and use on rack per size. Good for rental situation, but not as practical for home use.

What I Do
The paddles I use most often are left in our vehicles. I’ve used the gun sock too, usually when on a long trip where I don’t want paddles getting banged arround. Mine is fleece and was cheap. I’ve also used my padded shotgun case, and next time I plan on driving through Little Rock, AR I’ll use that as my paddle case and place it in a prominent, visible spot! WW

Why ?
Why do you need a “prominent display” of a gun case in Little Rock? The rest of the story?

I have a “unique” Little Rock story:

A friend and I, both in the U.S. Army at the time, were traveling through Little Rock from Georgia (in civilian clothes). I was in the back seat asleep, he was driving. He wasn’t paying attention & ran a red light; this resulted in him getting pulled over by a policeman. I slept thru this part. Policeman checks his license & asks questions. My buddy says we’re traveling to an Army pistol shooting match, which we are in fact doing. Policeman wants to check out trunk contents; finds four .45 pistols, four .22 pistols, beau coup ammo, pistol boxes, cleaning gear, etc.

Calls out reinforcements. They arrive. Next thing I know; I’m getting prodded awake by a nightstick. Car surrounded by 3 police cars with flashing lights, buddy spread eagled on the car, (me too), and some officers of the Little Rock P.D. are looking a little tense. Get a ride to the station (without guns & ammo). A check of orders, a few phone calls, and a couple of hours later we’re on our way… Moral of story: don’t run any red lights in Little Rock, Arkansas at one oclock in the morning with a trunk load of guns & ammo!

BOB

thanks
I appreciate all of these tips from you folks. I have a building in my back yard that is not insulated. It is not ventilated well either. In a typical Alabama summer it will get very humid and hot in that shed. I was considering placing the paddle across the joists. Since there is no ceiling, that will be about equal to storing it in the attic. I was mostly concerned about the extreme heat and humidity effects on the wood. Warpage being the main concern, but also I wondered about the times of the year when it will be cool at night, but hot in the day. Will the up/ down temperatures tend to make the wood swell and contract and start to seperate the places where the wooden pieces are joined together? I have already decided to hang the pieces seperately, with the blades up,instead of across the joists.

My thoughts about the joists were mostly to keep my rowdy kids away from the paddle.

Thanks again for the help.

j_tuc