Woodstrip Canoe:

I’m thinking of using White Ceder (Juniper) or Redwood, or a combination of both.

The price of both shocked me but it’s quite in line with everything else going up since I’ve bought either.

Is there other woods that are practical for building canoes, that I don’t have to saw off an arm or leg for?

lots

– Last Updated: Dec-18-08 8:02 PM EST –

cedar, basswood, walnut, ash...

i have seven types of wood in my 16' bob special

cost of lumber and other supplies was about $800

that's dirt for a sweet canoe

Making your own strips? I wonder if
douglas fir would make good strips. Long, clear, close grained lengths seem fairly common.

wood
The cedars and redwood are the easiest to strip build with, and another good wood to use is cypress.

cypress
great pick.

i got a chance to see a couple of 2,000 or so year old dugout canoes in a lake last summer in the everglades. lake trafford in immokalee

the canoes were 20-feet long. they had been exposed by a drought and a pumping project that drained the lake in order to suck out a buck of built up muck. no one had seen them in nearly a century.

anyway, those canoes were cypress.

plus, it’s a tough wood

Thanks all,

I’ll check prices before I buy.

cypress
I have most of the cypress keel from a 28’, 1937 Palmer. I had thought about using it for a stripper but have concern about the oily nature of the wood. For example it was pointed out some houses in the south that are shingled with cypress have a problem holding paint because of the oil.

Any further info on cypress and epoxy compatibility ?

Thanks,

J