Working toward a three boat quiver

Right now, I have three canoes and a POS-SOT. That’s two tandem canoes and a solo.
My current situation is I don’t have a canoe partner.
I need, at least, one of the tandems in case I find a partner, for an outing.
I have a North Star, Northwind on order to replace the Wenonah Voyageur I now have.
I won’t get the Northwind till this year’s paddling season is over.
So, at first, I was looking for another boat to fill in till I got the Northwind, but now I’m thinking I need a third boat for my permanent quiver. I think I need a kayak for my quiver. I’ve kind of settled on one of the Old Town Loon series. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have any. At least not around here.
So, I still don’t have a boat to fill in till I get my Northwind but, hopefully, I’ll have both boats for the start of next paddling season. I think three boats will be enough. One of my tandems, the Northwind, and a Loon. I don’t live near an ocean, so don’t really need a seakayak. I don’t do serious whitewater so I don’t need a white water boat. Yep, three should do it.

2 Likes

Be careful because soon you will have 6 boats.

2 Likes

That is a fact. Boats have a habit of multiplying when you aren’t looking.

2 Likes

Just wait until you build one, then the party never ends. I have 9 and a half.

2 Likes

I already did. Not a canoe or kayak, but I did build a boat.
One was enough for me. I’m very surprised I don’t have lung cancer.
I do admit there is a real attraction. Paddling something you built with your own hands is really something.

I’ve had as many as five at one time and I’m already thinking about keeping both tandems.
I’ve organized a number of canoe trips with friends. If they don’ t have their own equipment, I often supply them. Along with a spare canoe, I usually have spare, life preservers, paddles, dry bags, tents, etc.
I need to talk to a lawyer about that. I never receive compensation for anything, but I may still be vulnerable, if someone were to get injured or drown.

1 Like

I just ordered Wilderness Systems Pungo 120.
Very similar to the Old Town Loon I wanted.
I was hoping to find something used, but I wasn’t having much luck and summer is disappearing fast.
I’ve never paddled anything like it, so I’m really eager to see what it’s like.
My two biggest concerns are the weight and the size. I really wanted a kayak big enough to do overnights. 12’ is cutting it close.

You can apparenlly shove a lot of gear into a 12’ Pungo. There were two on my Buffalo trip recently and I was amazed at what was coming out of them.

The Pungo has a good good reputation. I would like it better than the loon.

SOT Dude, if you weigh over 200 lbs, you need a 14’. I weigh 230 and was a strong paddler and did not like the way the 120 reacted when I paddled hard. It bogged down.
No problem with my 140.
I keep the 120 for a guest boat.

I know the Pungo comes in a 14’, but REI only had the ten and the twelve.
I’ve been having a really hard time finding boats. I thought I better snap up the Pungo 120 when it showed up on the REI website.
If they did have the 14, I’m not sure I would have gone for it. I was looking for something to complement my 15.5’ solo canoe, not compete with it. And I didn’t want something too hard to handle off the water.
I’m only 185 lbs. But I’m hoping to take it on an overnight someday. So, figure another 40 to 50 lbs. of gear.

That’s a load but you’ll be fine.