Worlds Best Paddling Destinations

Patagonia, Chile
You can paddle across the entire country of Chile then go hiking in the Andes.

For example:

http://www.exchile.com/seakayakingpatagonia.html

Whoa, that’s insane!
Considering it’s a cheap 2 hour direct flight from Houston to Belize, that’s the way I went.

You certainly wouldn’t do it to save money, with the gas you’d spend, the extra insurance you’d have to buy to drive through Mexico, and the wear and tear on your car, but I guess I could see doing it for adventure’s sake.

If you do decide to go through with it, I’d love to read your journal from the road.

Plenty of great side trips on your way down - Guadalajara, Morelia, Oaxaca, Merida.

One Barrel Rum is damned good too!
And cheap, $7 Belize for 750mL (thats about $3.50 US)

Cancun to Belize . . .

– Last Updated: Jan-03-07 2:56 PM EST –

Does that count? ;)
Spent a couple weeks touring the area last Christmas break.
Flew to Cancun, rented a car and drove straight to Belize. Not hard to cover a lot of area while there, it's a tiny country.
Had some "experiences" on the road, none of them bad.
Paul
Edited to add:
I'll second the comments about good beer and rum.

Are the roads
suitable to pull a 19 foot travel trailer?

JackL

Yes it would be for the adventure plus
we would have our own kayaks, mountain bikes and other gear and could do our own thing.

Just trying to find out if it is doable.

We might end up going the way you did.

We only come this way once!

Cheers,

jackL

It’s not chicken
That stewed chicken you ate in Belize probably wasn’t chicken.

Most likely it was egret.

I agree though. Good eatin’!

One Barrel rum in USA
Hi,

1 Barrel rum is available in America now. Try Sportsman’s Liquors 480-948-0520.

Dan

Sounds like a great trip. I’d be
interested in a trip down there. I’ve been wanting to go south but never had any takers. I never been further south tha Mexico. I have a twenty foot travel trailer and hauled it over some pretty bad roads going up to Alaska so I’m more concerned about safety than the roads. The guys at work who traveled down to South America use to make jokes about a body found down there with less than fifty bullet holes was considerd a suicide.

Bay of Islands New Zealand
You won’t find a more beautiful country (and quite small) to travel around. The north island has semi tropical areas (Bay of Islands)and the rest of the country is a wonderland of hiking. Right now they are experiencing summertime (that sounds good doesn’t it?) so you need to adjust your timetable for their seasons. They use to have the very best hostels in the world when I was there. Very affordable, camplike, full of travelers from all around the world. Gee, I sure would like to go back oneday and do some paddling!