would this polypropylene suit work

for me? Keep me warm enough for most later Spring and early Fall waters. With my bad lungs I’m not yet ready for cold weather sports in general.

So plese tell me what you think of this combo from Junonvia. I’ve thought about the Grizzly2 from NRS as well but frankly I prefer the idea of a two piece or the convenience of the extra zipper in the Farmer Jane. The Farmer Jane won’t work for me as yet though.

Polypropylene Aqua Tights and Jacket

For serious warmth in the pool or snorkeling, worn over a suit, you’ll love these tights. Made of a dense, supportive polypropylene fabric with a brushed inner layer. They hold a thin layer of warmed water next to you so you can enjoy more time swimming. Wuick-drying, made with chlorine resistant Spandex. 20" capri inseam. Polypropylene 85%, Spandex 15%. Rinse well, line dry. USA. There is also a jacket. The total cost would be just about $150.00 with shipping and all - from Junovia.

I’m not planning on getting into very cold water or chancing getting into icy water for a few years. My January thru April work schedules barely allow me time to go to the indoor pool I belong to. However I’d like some protection from the cooler waters of late spring and early fall and am considering getting this combo.

What do you think of the fabric combo?

sounds like
long underwear…not a paddling outfit as a stand alone. still need Neoprene or a drysuit. Pool is a controled and warm situation, totally different than real paddling situation. If you get cold at a pool, you just get out and go stand in the shower with it turned on hot. A cold pool is close to very warm paddling water in a lake, not spring or fall.

Best Wishes

Roy

Could be a good addition to neoprene
but not stand alone for anything cold.

Doesn’t Sound Right…

– Last Updated: Jan-23-06 1:52 PM EST –

...as a primary protection in any sort of chilly water.
Our experience with thermal protection, for what it's worth...
Went for 3mm neoprene farmer johns first - about $100 Cdn each...wore 'em a few times, found them constricting, prone to causing chafing.
Also found 'em sweaty on warm days...that's a serious problem, 'cause damp neoprene, when exposed to wind, tends to bleed rather than preserve warmth. When wet, this effect is far worse. I also found the suits tended to admit flushes of cold water around the neck if we moved extensively while in the water.

We finally bit the bullet last year, and went for semi-dry suits - neo neck, latex wrist seals, fabric booties and relief zippers - at about $450 each - a lot more than we wanted to or could really afford to spend, but in hindsight, worth every penny.

After a full season of using them, the in-boat comfort factor alone is worth the price - we stay absolutely dry, moisture is wicked away, and the suits therefore don't chill out in the wind. In the water, we've never leaked more than a few teaspoons of water thru the neck seals, no matter how much we thrash around. Since the fabric breathes, we've also been able to wear them in our usual summer situation - warm air, cold water - without any discomfort whatsoever, which means that we DO wear them virtually all the time.

Now if anyone wants to buy two lightly used White's 3mm Farmer Johns...

thanks for your thoughts
By the time I can afford a dry suit I might actually fit in one if I’m lucky

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I’m not in hurry to make any decisions. Junovia advertized that as a suit to go snorkeling in - I’m sure it wouldn’t be as warm as neoprene. Yet it would be safer than cotton sweats over a suit, wouldn’t it? Dry faster? Actually I don’t plan on getting wet until the waters are warmer but a little caution is perhaps better than none at all.

It is not April yet - so I will keep researching. I’m not apt to be going anywhere until after the 15th of April most likely.

If I thought I could sew I’d try making my own.