would this stress a canoe?

with heavier, beafier canoes, i have been in the habit of flipping them over, lifting one end, getting underneath, and then lifting the other end (so that finally, the whole boat is supported.

i’m looking to get a high end canoe, and certainly wouldn’t want to subject it to any abuse. if one end is lifted while it is upside down, so that all of the weight is on one upside-down end of the boat, and then it is dragged a few feet (with the end NOT in contact with the ground, rather with it on a blanket, tarp, or something) would this be terrible for the life of the boat?

specifically, i’m thinking of this in relation to a hornbeck, hemlock, etc.

thanks.

I portage a canoe just as you are …
describing, and would not hesitate at all to pick it up from one end with the canoe supported by the other end.

I don’t know either of those canoes, but I do it with a 39 pound kevlar Wenonah Jensen.

I don’t recommend dragging any canoe with it’s bow or stern on the ground.

Why would you want to drag it?

Also I would hesitate to support it by the bow or stern if the boat had carbon gunnels.

Just me and others might differ.

Jack L

I am at a loss as to why

– Last Updated: Mar-08-11 7:28 PM EST –

you would need to drag a Hornbeck or a Hemlock.Those are generally light enough to flip up.

On the other side, I do lift one end and walk face toward the yoke and then pivot around. The stern is on the ground. Yes the stern does get some grind marks after you do this 50 times on a two week trip.

I have to do this method rather than the flip to make sure the CVCA yoke does not get hung up on pack straps. I can flip the boat without the 40 pack on but not with it on.

I have a 33 lb Peregrine and a Medicare card..thats my excuse. My 23 lb RapidFire always gets flipped.

Rangering does not hurt a boat. Dragging does cause wear on the deck end at the stem. Dave Curtis could have done a better job with the wood..the end piece is kinda thin. Thats a perpetual challenge ..stems and wear.

If It’s Light Enough
just lift it from the side and use your thighs to rest it on and then lift it from there. For my Disco I do exactly what you have described. Hell, I’ve spent 12 years trying to scrap that boat down to loose some of the weight and actually broke 2 ribs trying to do that method of lifting when it slide of my hands but I didn’t quite let go.

I did put a metal, brass, plate on one canoe to protect the end but it finally peeled off.

dougd