Wrong decisions!

At 41yo maybe the right time to disappear if his life was about to go south.
Would like to hear the backstory. He might have met his soulmate from S.America…

@PaddleDog52 said:
https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2018/07/03/missing-kayaker-search-ongoing-weehawken-man-lake-champlain/753961002/

Info all gained by reading.

Maybe this article should have been posted first rather than the others.

I’m usually interested in these occurrences, but only paired with thoughtful analysis. I’m otherwise unlikely to click on a solitary link to find out more.

Still no real info on the missing person. Was he getting a divorce, a comptroller, ready to be indicted?
Let’s see his emails before we condemn his paddling group.
This disappearance sounds very suspicious.
I stand corrected if they find the body…

We have had 2 instances like that. A guy reported he had lost his paddling partner in a canoe capsize on Jocassee. A lot of effort went into finding him until it was discovered that he was in trouble with the law.
Then there was the young woman who disappeared for days on the Foothills Trail.
She said she survived because she found sandwiches in a tree.

I agree that the linked articles/news reports really don’t give enough background info to do much more than make people clutch their pearls. Maybe the drumbeat of ‘he wasn’t wearing a pfd’ will get through to the masses on some level — or not.

A much better resource to learn about the risks of kayaking was the ongoing series of trip incident reports published in Sea Kayaker magazine. Well-thought-out analyses of sometimes complicated events by experienced kayakers provided a lot of food for thought. For me, they were especially enlightening in situations where things turned bad after a couple of poor decisions in relatively benign conditions. Some of the stories were compiled in ‘Deep Trouble’ and ‘More Deep Trouble,’ which are worth looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Kayakers-Deep-Trouble-Magazine/dp/0070084998

@string said:

People can survive for a VERY long time without food. You’ll die from dehydration and/or exposure long before you starve.

It does sound like a handy species to have growing near where you’re planning to hike though. Much less weight to carry on your back…

George Gronseth, who compiled those reports for Sea Kayaker, has a page at Kayak Academy where he asks that information about current accidents be sent to him. https://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/accident-reports

@string said:

How Far Off We Wander

Well I reckons it’weren’t 'em Keebler elves,
or else she’da said “sandwich cookie,”
guess it might’ve been 'em Foot Hills wickens,
or perhaps few kids play’n hooky,

who didn’t like much 'bout 'em sanwiches momma packed,
out there splash’n midst 'em waterfalls.
Spam ‘n bean wit’ mustard tween biscuit ‘n fatback.
(a FatElmo feedin’ station sortta calls)

but 'ems is lost 'n weary can’t be too paticlar,
when hunger gnaws thoughts ain’t so culinary,
‘n I s’pose when your stumblin’ off 'at semi-beaten track
is quite possible to be fed by some tree faerie

or maybe its quite likely whilst gnawin’ from 'em trees,
to set yer teeth to strain of shiny fungus,
that’s litralee some takeout though a doc might bring ya back,
or in least in part for some 'ats still among us.

'N 'em parts don’t return often leaves holes wit their story,
there’s a vacuum in every space 'at man inhabits,
‘n there’s wolves rount ev’ry corner stalkin’ minds 'n souls 'at wander,
beats me how 'at peace pipe puffs on wit its rabbit.

And to boot I go in a local store where I shop 4-5 times a week. Small petite female paddler with 10’ rec kayak. Started last year usually in a fairly protected part of the Great South Bay south of Long Island. Her and her friends decide to paddle Sayville to Fire Island. I have tried to coach her on some pit falls or risks of kayaking. Also basic gear and water temps knowledge… The Bay can whip up fast in an afternoon crossing is almost 5 miles. Waves could pop up to a good 3’ chop easily with white caps, even 5’+.

Rec kayaks, no skirts, no floatation in kayaks, no radios, almost nill experience for most if not all involved. Guess it’s like talking to a wall. She said they were scared and soon as they stopped paddling the we’re going backwards. No wonder.people get in trouble. I was disappointed after talking all the time to her. May be peer pressure is involved. Sad.

Woman survives being lost for several days on Foothills Trail; finds sandwiches “in a tree”
I’m calling pure, unadulterated, fantasy, bullshi- on that one.

Who left the sandwiches?
The Easter bunny, fairies, munchkins, hobbits, aliens, Santa Claus, elves, or wood sprites?
Maybe it was a hobbit’s “second lunch” that he forgot?
Later on the same day she found the sandwiches; she ran into Gandalf, who was riding Shadowfax thru the woods.
Gandalf pulled out his pipe, and they fired up some superior, home grown weed…
And then, and then…

BS!!!

BOB

Mark Sandford left them.

:slight_smile:

Off the grid food cache left by mountain man Jimmy John’s.

Unsolicited tips for safety however well intentioned are never received well… I’ve tried… nicely so many times. Out of a hundred attempts two listened.

Two better than zero

Back to the sandwiches, often more fulfilling than trying to help newbies in rec boatsvl in person.
Did she indicate if there was a particular tree that was better at this, or if there was a pattern like maple trees mostly grew ham and cheese? Inquiring minds want to know.

Not many details published , that statement is all I remember.
I’ve hiked every trail in that area and seen some interesting things, but no sandwiches.
After a weekend camping in there, an emaciated dog followed us out.
We had some pemmican bars that were awful, but the dog liked them.

My dog was good at finding sandwiches. On a winter hike she was running down the trail all happy
People were eating lunch in the trail which was understandable since off trail the snow was four feet deep
One had a nice sandwich held in the air
Poor goofy dog couldn’t resist
Dog 1 sandwich gone