WS Crummy paint job

I recently bought a WS Tsunami 140, and while I really like the boat itself, I think they really need to do a little work on how the apply the paint. I got the “Ice” color, which is essentially a basic blue with some white swirled around.

I understand that it’s a random patterning that makes each boat unique, but the white on my boat was concentrated in a few obscure locations and actually gives the boat a very worn-out look. Three people have made comments along the lines of “Boy, THAT boat has gotten some use, huh?” This is annoying, because it’s only a month old. It’s also going to be a problem in a year when I want to sell it to buy a longer boat.

http://www.wtpaddlers.org/images/071205/DSCN7051.jpg

I think if I’d had any idea what it would look like, I would have ordered a solid color.

is that a plastic kayak?
If so, there is no painting involved. They dump in some white pellets along with the blue pellets in the molding process and what results is the “ice” color. The mix probably wasn’t evenly distributed.

On a personal note, I think a worn kayak is a beautiful thing. If I see an immaculate kayak in showroom shape, I think the person either doesn’t paddle much or babies their kayaks too much.

I’m afraid I don’t understand the logic.
> On a personal note, I think a worn kayak is a beautiful thing. If I see an immaculate kayak in showroom shape, I think the person either doesn’t paddle much or babies their kayaks too much.

I’m afraid I don’t understand the logic. What’s wrong with buying a new kayak? Every worn kayak that you see was new at some point.

nothing wrong with brand new
I just like seeing kayaks being used and it’s always nice to see even brand new kayaks being treated as kayaks rather than some precious work of art. I like seeing a worn kayak just because I like imagining the places that kayak has been.

In regards to the resale value, I don’t think the coloring will hurt that very much. If the buyer knows the age and inspects the condition of the kayak, he/she will immediately know that the coloring is part of the kayak rather than due to fading.

When I bought
my Dagger Cortez 16.5 in the red/yellow/orange color, the dealer said that he couldn’t guarantee how it would look since the color distribution is so arbitrary. It looked great, but he was nervous cuz he doesn’t like to have dissatisfied customers. And by the way, its not a “crummy paint job”. With the multi-color plastic boats you really never know how they’re gonna come out.

Agreed.

– Last Updated: Jul-13-05 12:43 PM EST –

upclose inspection will tell of the condition of the color. Generally, when someone is buying a used boat, they are looking at a model and not the color. Well, at least, that applies to me.

sing

PS. Of course, if I were to buy a new surf yak, it'll have to be hot pink. ;)

nah
get OD Green it looks better with age!!

If it really bugs you
Slap a waterproof sticker over the white area.

Swedge - Mr. monochromatic.
There is more than one position for whoopee also.

L

– Last Updated: Jul-13-05 2:05 PM EST –

Being mono-Chromatic and MONO-positional are totally different.!!!

Saw this the other day Sing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7169063768&category=36122&rd=1

It’s all you except it’s in the wrong decade! :smiley:

Check out a P&H Cappella RM
They get even distribution of color.

I Gotta Ask
If you weren’t happy with it, why did you buy it?

I ordered it
…and when it came, what was I going to do? Ask my dealer to send it back and have them repaint it? Bottom line is that I like the boat regardless of the color, but I really pictured something a little nicer.

I wholeheartedly agree!

– Last Updated: Jul-13-05 3:05 PM EST –

Hi schizopak,

You wrote:

"I like seeing a worn kayak just because I like imagining the places that kayak has been."

I couldn't agree more! Even when I run my fingers along the scratches and gouges of my own boats, I remember the happy moments they represent. Just as we can imagine the story of an old fisherman's life by following the lines of his weather worn face, so can we imagine - or remember - the story of ourselves and each other as we ponder the mysteries of a well worn boat.

Both my boats were new when I first got them (one is a commercially built fiberglass boat, and the other is a S&G boat I built myself). After eight years of heavy usage, I love my old fiberglass Caribou more now than when it was new and shiny; because we have a long and happy history, which is beautifully illustrated and chronicled by scratches, gouges, and well worn surfaces here and there.

The wooden boat, which looks amazing with its beautiful wood and bright finish, has already collected several nice scratches. Each day after a paddle, with a few beach launchings and landings, I see that a few more stratches have been added. The boat just keeps looking better and better! More like a boat, and less like a coffee table! :-)

Melissa (who's getting ready for today's paddle...see ya later!) :-)

Its really
not paint! Its all part of the plastic. If you sent it back, they would have to either send it to someone else, destroy it, or make it a demo boat.

SCRATCH it…
On purpose!..

Just like with a NEW Car, Truck, or SUV…walk over to it and pick a place that you can live with a scratch, and wail away at it…then get on with the use of it…the outdoors is NOT a fashion contest…

I know I could get a bette deal
But this is why I buy from stock. My local dealer had on color left (Mango) left in the model (WS Pungo 140) I played around with color choices but in the end decided to take what he had. 1. Cause the color was growing on me. And 2. Cause I know what it’s like to have stock that doesn’t move because of some esoteric reason. I figured it was waiting for me and God wanted me to have it. Or at least that’s what I tell my wife.

Have the same color…
I have the same color in a WS Cape Horn, it was a demo boat, (not because of the color) at first I didn’t like how faded it looked at the back (the front is a very bright blue) but it’s a great boat, and the color has grown on me- reminds me of how the water and sky can blend together in those colors, and you can’t tell which is which- magical time, when you aren’t sure if you are on the water or the air!! your swirls remind me of water- I think it’s neat looking.

I also agree with the worn look- it means you are out there using it!!

Yabut…
At some point in the not too terribly distant future, I’ll be selling it to help fund my next boat. I’ve sold my share of used items, and I’ve never found anyone who thought that the worn look was a beautiful thing, aside from the fact that it means they’ll be paying me a lot less money.