WS Pungo 125 or Old Town Loon 126?

It’s hard to tell how you’re going to feel in a boat by the dimensions. It’s a good starting point, but each boat will feel different. The analogy people often use is shoes. A size 10 in one brand does not feel the same as a size 10 in another.

2 Likes

Possibly found a Pungo 120 with Aqua Bound paddle, asking $399 but sure could get it for a bit less, what do you think about that just to begin on lakes/reservoirs?

My only concern is that the weight limit is 325pds and I’m 275pds so cutting it close, the pungo 125 has a 425pds weight limit…I know each boat handles weight limits differently, but I have no experience with pungos so…

I was just in the market for a couple boats and I ended up going with a set of P&H Venture Easky 13’s (13’7" actual length) I wanted a good all around boat for my fiance to learn in before I buy a set of Eddyline touring boats for open water. The Easkys will allow us to do rivers, lakes and even get into the sheltered areas of Morro Bay. That said I have kayaked Morro before and you can go from glass to a heafty chop in a matter of minutes without much warning. If you can make a 140 work it will definetley handel a chop better than a 120. As you mentioned Pungos have huge cockpits and thus huge openings… If you intend to paddle coastal areas, I would reccomend a good quality, tight fitting spray skirt just in case the winds come up or you can expect to get quite a bit of water coming into that boat. (I’m having skirts made for my Easkys for the same reason and they have a smaller cockpit as well.) I do agree with Ceilia above. Just know both of these boats aren’t really going to let you hone your skills much and advance in the sport. They pretty much are what they are. If I were you and I was just a week ago… I’d take a look at some used boats of higher quality before jumping into a New Pungo. All that said if it were just lake and flat river use you could get away with a Pungo, I just wouldn’t put one on a Bay. If you do you are going to have to be very cautious of not only winds for chop but also fighting those winds while paddling such a high profile boat. You will also have to take tide schedules into account. You could be on glass and then all of a sudden fighting a stiff current from a tide change and head wind and in that boat you’d be paddling in place and in trouble real quick. I’m no expert but if I went WS I’d probablly do at least the Tarpon 160 which is a SOT with a wieght capacity of 375. The real question is if you plan only to paddle for short periods of time and your not doing overnighters, then you wont need to carry much gear. So you only have to worry about your own weight and maybe a 15-20 pound day pack right. I don’t think weight is too much of an issue then and you can look at a few thinner, longer and faster boats that will allow you to hone your skills and be safer on those coastal areas your looking at getting into. Believe me the more you paddle the coast, the more you will want to return! Good Luck on the search and take your time. Great deals to be found on Craigslist, Face Book Market Place, classifieds, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I won’t be doing any overnights or all day, will likely be 3/4hrs max at a time so as you said don’t need to worry about much extra weight.

I’m looking at used ones but not too much in my area at the moment, might have found maybe 2 or 3 that fit what I’m looking for, but will keep searching. To be honest at the moment I’m more likely to go on lakes and reservoirs. Not looking to improve my skills so much that I would be able to venture in open sea etc., its more of a hobby for me, unlike others so (not to offend anyone)…If I then start meeting people to go out with and go on trip then I might be more inclined to get a better suited kayak for whatever that might be.

All that being said buy the Pungos and get out on the water and have fun! I would opt for the 140 though if I were you. Your still going to get plenty of stability, they are not that much more cost wise and you will have a noticeable difference on how it tracks in the water. Less energy expended to stay straight. Since they are slightly narrower they will be faster and better into the wind as well. Just know if you enjoy paddling you will likely outgrow these boats and want to upgrade in a season or two. Yaks hold value pretty well though and I could see you easily recouping 75% of your investment after a few seasons in these if you take care of them. I would recommend not skimping on paddles and PFDs. Buy accessories that will grow with you should you progress as their resale value is low compared to that of the yaks themselves. I like a good carbon fiber paddle like a Werner. Worth every cent of 300 bucks once your on the water. I’ve used NRS PFDs in the past but am in the market for a few Astrals right now just waiting for the shop to open so I can fit them and see if I want Large or Medium because I’m right on the line size wise. At the end of the day but something and get out there and have fun and when it doesn’t suit your needs upgrade. I started in an 8 foot Sundolphin SS ( PURE JUNK!!!) from Walmart with a paddle heavy as brick and the most uncomfortable PFD I’ve ever worn but I got out there and I fell in love and 3 boats later I’m still looking at what’s next. That was 15 years ago and I just bought the Easkeys to get the Fiancé on the water this week and I’m already shopping Eddyline touring boats. This sport is addicting! Nothing wrong with a few Rec boats on the rack hanging around even if you have a 5,000 dollar touring boat next to it. All have their place. I intend to use the Easkys for my guest boats when people paddle with us once the fiancé gets some basic skills down. Also they will be fantastic River and inland lake boats.

1 Like

I’m getting in here a bit late, but I like the recommendation of the Tsunami 145. Given the setting and your dimensions, it is a boat you can live with and grow into, while allowing you to expand your horizions-literally!

2 Likes

@string, so would you recommend the Tarpon 120 over the Pungo since its better for open water/self-bailing? In terms of tracking and ease of paddling are they similar? They are the same price (new) unless I find one second hand…

Tarpons are great tracking boats. Self bailing is a definite plus in rough water. They are also heavy. I can pick up my Pungo 140 with one hand . I probably could do the same with the Tarpon but it wouldn’t be pleasant. I use a cart if it has to be moved.
A quick T story. I was paddling across Topsail Inlet with friends when a wave decided to roll in .
It was an !!! moment . It went over the top of the boat from the side. I had water up to my waist as it passed. I guess I braced but the boat never budged . And it was nice that all the water almost instantly was out of the boat.

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can find a used tarpon since the tarpon and pungo new are the same price…thanks for the insight

Good luck. Those are boats people hang on to.

Love the WS Tarpon series and fully support you seriously considering this tried and true fishing kayak, however the 120 (12 ft) paddles like a barge. You will not get anywhere with anything close to speed. The 140 (14 ft) cuts through the water. I paddled a 120 for years when distance did not matter because all my fishing holes were less than a mile from the launch, however after moving, I had to buy a 140 if I wanted to fish at all. Wish I had known to buy the 140 in the beginning as it lots more pleasurable to paddle.

2 Likes

KH , thanks. I have never owned a 120 because I’ve never found a 120 that I enjoyed. I paddled a friend’s 100. If the 120 is a barge, the 100 is it’s mamma.
In my case, I’m just too heavy for them. My 160 is perfect for me.
BTW, WS calls Tarpons Touring kayaks.

string, The 160 is a super kayak and I would get one except I paddle into too many narrow, curvy estuaries chasing tailing redfish.

A buddy uses his 160 for offshore fishing (i.e. touring) for years with all the required/suggested safety equipment onboard. For a WS kayak, the Tarpons are touring kayaks I suppose, but not by my definition of touring.

My Pungo 140 can run rings around a Tarpon. A much quicker boat.
But the Tarpon is my choice for fishing.

2 Likes

I ended up choosing an SOT, and found an amazing deal on an used edddyline Caribbean 14 angler and also got a new crescent lite tackle which was my original choice but all as sold out unill last week! So went from no kayaks to two!

1 Like

Enjoy them! Thanks for letting us know.

2 Likes