WS Tsunami 135 and140 Pro (not poly)

Does anyone have any feedback specifically on the Pro versions? Handling etc. The width of 23" is narrower than most for 13’ or 14’. The chines and flared bow look like it would be stable.

The 135 Pro is marketed for small paddlers and women. Why? The depth is 14.5" and the cockpit is 18.5 x 35. Those dimensions would be right for a pretty large paddler.

– Last Updated: Jun-15-14 8:00 AM EST –

The 135 is smaller in all dimensions than the rest of the Tsumani line.

It has been quite a while since I paddled a 135, but my recollection is that while the forward deck was deeper than I often prefer it was still better suited for myself than my 180 lb 6 ft husband. There is a substantial chance that the rails for the footpegs are set far enough back that they would have been too short for him at their furthest extension, but since he did not get into it I don't know. We did run into that as an issue at times when he tried getting into small paddler boats.

My fit was fine - braces and butt and foot pegs were all located in a place where the appropriate body parts found them easily.

As to making any final judgements on fit based on cockpit size and depth.... it just doesn't work. I am a small paddler and have found a variation of up to a couple of inches in things like cockpit size among different boats that give me a correct fit when seated. There is a good two inch diff between deck height in my two sea kayaks, both fit me just with different priorities. It is what happens when your butt is in there that matters. While a large paddler may be able to squeeze into the 135 I am not sure they'd be comfortable staying there for the length of a paddle.

The width of 23 inches is wider than I prefer, and that goes to how hard a shorter person has to rotate to get a good paddle grab. But we are talking about the Tsunami line to start with. These boats are marketed to newer paddlers or existing ones who want a boat that will be more reassuring than challenging, but still be able to keep up with a group across open water. I would not expect to see the narrowest widths or the sleekest hull show up in this part of WS's line. That would be in what used to be the Tempest line and is now apparently supplanted by the Focus boats.

Availability
It looks like the Tsunami Pro is a rare item at dealers.

The Pro may be in a tough niche
The price and features may seem like overkill to most of the likely buyers for the Tsunami line, and fancy enough to get buyers that are willing to look just a bit higher into more aggressive touring boats.

I see many basic plastic Tsunamis around, and they seem to fit the bill quite nicely for intro level or more casual paddlers. They are keepers too - if someone goes to more boat they tend to keep the sun-faded old plastic Tsunami around.

I’ve paddled the plastic 135. I’m 5’9", 155lbs. I thought it fit me better than the rest of the Tsunami line. Still plenty of room, but the other Tsunamis all felt huge.

Say more?
What is it about the Tsunami that would make it not deserve to be bumped up to Pro level, or justify the price?