WS Tsunami 175 Versus Spray Skirt

After speaking to an outfitter/rental firm, I learned that my extreme frustration getting the either the Seals 2.2 Nylon or 1.7 neoprene Skirt in place is so commonplace that their agency doesn’t give anyone skirts when they rent these boats…the problem is the phase 3 seats which end up high above the deck.

Any solutions?

No seaT adjustment?

Replace seat back with a backband, Like pretty much all sea kayaks have. Should be able to swap that seat back out.

“On the backrest models the height of the backrest can also be adjusted. The rest should be kept low for paddling and only lifted for relaxed cruising or resting. If the backrest is in the upper position you will limit your range of motion that engages core muscles for better paddling technique. The adjustment is on the front of the seat pad, centered between your legs. Pull up on the plastic toggle attached to a cord to raise backrest and push the small chrome button down to release.”

https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/experience/faq/content/phase-3-outfitting-adjustment-guide

Some might find this shocking, but I seldom ever wear my spray skirts. I always have them along and I used to put a skirt on when the waves got big, but with the water very warm now, I just don’t worry about it.

In summer I wear an old leaky seals nylon with zippers. I leave it off the cockpit and sponge my Greenland paddle drips up most if the time . Exceptions of course are rain, waves, surf, and lots of boat wakes.

High back seats are for drifters not sea kayaks.

Thanks for the advice… I will try that although I have become used to running it high and forcing my back as far forward as it can go. As an aside, there is something in the mechanism…the thing that locks the cord…that has become corroded from sea water.

Keeping the backrest high is not a good idea. Not only does it interfere with torso rotation it makes getting back into the kayak after a spill more difficult. If you can’t fit a backband then at least set the seat back as low as it will go.

here is a lin> @kfbrady said:

Keeping the backrest high is not a good idea. Not only does it interfere with torso rotation it makes getting back into the kayak after a spill more difficult. If you can’t fit a backband then at least set the seat back as low as it will go.

Thanks for the advice,all I can say is that I feel I can get glued into the boat with the backrest high and a good thigh brace.

I also paddled 14 miles, some of it into 10-15 knot headwinds with this tsunami tanker, and my arms were fine at the end of the day. (though I have a new pain at the tip of one elbow).

I will give it a try…I am absolutely frustrated with the skirts

@Barge said:
Thanks for the advice,all I can say is that I feel I can get glued into the boat with the backrest high and a good thigh brace.

I also paddled 14 miles, some of it into 10-15 knot headwinds with this tsunami tanker, and my arms were fine at the end of the day. (though I have a new pain at the tip of one elbow).

I will give it a try…I am absolutely frustrated with the skirts

Your points of contact really should be feet, butt and knees, not your back.

And the whole point is not to paddle with your arms, but as much as possible with the much stronger muscles of your torso.

That way you’ll be able to do 20 miles with minimal strain on your arms. :wink:

Lots of articles and videos here…

https://www.google.com/search?q=kayak+torso+rotation&ie=&oe=

Ok…anyhow I just checked the seat and it is already as low as it can go…the top still protrudes above the deck by a couple of inches…Sounds like I will have to put a band in to use a stock skirt…

Thanks for the advice about technique…it can always be improved. What I intended to communicate was that my technique is adequate precisely because I had no pain in my arms after a challenging paddle. Changing winds cut my day shorter than I wanted.

Yeah, I have seen a lot of people stuggling to pull skirts over these seats. They are ridiculously high, I doubt you can solve it without replacing the back.

@Barge said: my technique is adequate precisely because I had no pain in my arms after a challenging paddle.

A good sign, granted, but you mention a sharp pain at the tip of your elbow which is worrisome. It may mean you are flexing your elbows too much, i.e. arm paddling, or have too tight a grip on the paddle, i.e. the ‘death grip’. I’m prone to the latter and have had that pain - I have to consciously remember to relax my off-side hand while paddling sometimes, especially in difficult conditions.

I solved the problem. I bought another kayak.

We are all desperate to know what you did get.