Yakima Kayak Stacker questions

I just bought a set of Yakima Kayak Stackers off of eBay. They are the older style which kind of looks like the end of a paperclip and not the newer style that is a single post with barbs. They did not come with straps. I am going to buy some NRS straps. What length should I get to carry two kayaks? The instructions for the newer style stackers available online show the straps going around the top of the stacker, then crossed like an X, going around the kayak, looped under the cross rail, under the kayak and looped around the base of stacker, then back out and buckled. The instructions for the older stacker do not go into this much detail. Is this recommended for the older style stacker? When carrying two kayaks, should I use 1 set of straps for both boats or 2 sets and strap each boat separately?

Thanks,

rob

strap routing
Pass the strap through the stacker (like threading a needle). Bring both ends of the strap over the kayak and down to the crossbar. Pass one end of the strap under the crossbar, then feed it through the buckle and tighten down. A 9 foot strap should be just barely enough to do 2 boats on the same side of the stacker. You can always use a longer strap and just wrap the excess around the crossbar. Rope will also work in a pinch. Just learn how to tie a trucker’s hitch.

you got
my stacker!!!

Then where are the…
straps?!!?!?

stackers
my idea is the longer the better never know when you might have to buy another boat and have to haul it home

I have the same type.
But have not used them since I got good kayaks. I now use saddles.

I carried one kayak on each side. I used seperate straps for each yak.

To tie down: starting with the buckle hanging down beside the yak, on the outside, feed the end of the strap up over the yak and around the top of the bend, then back down on the outside. Loop it under the bar, connect to the buckle and tighten it down.

I constantly had a problem with our rec kayaks slipping with them, so I wouldn’t trust them with a more expensive yak.

I used to use gunnel brackets to prevent them from slipping.

Cheers,

JackL

Worked for us
We used that style of stacker with our plastic boats, driving thru winds easily to 30 mph and driving coastal rains, with never a slip for 3 seasons. Perhaps it was because the boats were touring length - my plastic boat is a Squall, 16 and a hof ft, and my husband’s is an Elaho, 16 ft.

The post with subject Routing sounds like what we did.

Celia