Yakima vs Thule clips for Honda CRV

Does anyone have thoughts on the best clips for a rack system… Thule or Yakima for a Honda CRV ? I have Yakima saddles, bars, etc now. I heard the Yakima clips are better than Thule ? Any advice on setting the system up (is it a 2-man job) ? Thanks,

Cathy

depends on the year of the CRV
let’s start with that.

Use a couple of 2x4’s
Just bolt them through the roof.

Use treated lumber so it won’t rot and then stain it to match the color of your hair or your eyes

Make sure you have a sharp drill bit, and if it slips and makes some scratches, don’t worry about it. The only ones that will see them will be low flying planes.

Cheers,

JackL

Honda CRV and Yak vs Thule
It will be a 2008 without factory racks. Yak set-up is Q tower and clips (q99 and q131). A friend has the Thule clips and his door leaks with them in. He said it appears the Yak clip system works better. I have not spoken with anyone else with the clip system Thule or Yak.

Landing pads
I have a strong preference for Yakima’s permanent tracks with landing pads. They are quite secure, and go on and off very quickly with just a snap. When you take the rack off, you don’t even notice the track. The local rack shop installed them very quickly, and no headliner removal.

A bit more money…
but you won’t have to drill holes in your roof. Build up a couple of GIANT beads of silicone caulk, and you’re good to go…

Just bear in mind that you won’t be able to paint them to match the car.

Sorry, but Jack made me do it.

T

Man !
Why didn’t I think of that.

We wouldn’t even need saddles.

Cheers,

JackL

I’m with you 100 percent !
and they are secure, secure secure !

Cheers,

JackL

Thule feet won’t fit Yakima bars
Only the accessories (bike-boat-ski) are able to fit both style of bars I think? If you already own the Yakima bars you’ll have to use their foot and clips if you want to use their bars. Would save you a little money.

What Clips?!?!
The Honda CRV has hard attachment points on the roof hidden under black plastic caps that the rack bolts straight down to. The CRV takes the Thule #770 bar system. Doesn’t allow flexibility in bar spread but a darn strong arrangement.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

Will install roof racks for food. Skipped breakfast, hungry.

No clip - thanks
You are so awesome. I had landing pads and control towers on my old vehicle and the bike shop told me I needed the Q towers and q clips for this new Honda. Well, the Yak website does actually show 2 options, but defaults to the q towers. So I returned the $250 of q set-up and ordered just the landing pad 10 that will fit EXACTLY as you said into the vehicle’s own mounting hardware. You saved me $180. If I loved closer, I would take you ourt to eat, but it will take move than $180 in gas to get there. Thanks so much.

sorry about miss-spelling
I missed spelled some words… I’ve been having keyboard problems lately … or is it old age !

“If I loved closer”…hummmm…
is this code for some salacious paddling terminology here at the forum? Naughty, naughty, lol.

Next time through NC
On our way south I’ll give you the heads up and you can steer us in the direction of a really good southern BBQ joint.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

NC bbq?
Some of those places like to put slaw on top of your sandwich - esp in the Wilmington area.

Yuk.

whats so bad about
drilling through the roof?

I have done it on severl of my

vehicles and have never lost

a boat, plus I can get a resonable spread on my racks.

Charlie

Right, but now you have to …
pump the car out after every rain storm and keep a unbrella handy for when you are driving in the rain!

Cheers,

JackL

BBQ hold the slaw.
Wilmington = excessive slaw, so noted. Thank you in advance of heartburn.

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

Happy & Safe 4th of July to all!

Only had to
pump it out because I left windows open. RV sealent is great stuff! Besides Who cares about those upstate girls and their cars?

Roof Racks

– Last Updated: Jul-06-08 11:05 AM EST –

I have been through some of the options discussed here. I drilled 16 holes through the roof of a new Honda Odyssey and installed Yakima tracks. Worked fine (no leaks) and even held up when a plywood canoe came off at 80 mph on route 80 in South Dakota; Canoe shattered and the rack held.

Installed Thule landing pads (T-8) on my wife's CRV (previous version) and really like them. Called Thule and they don't make similar pads for my 2007 Rav4 since they all come with factory racks- therefore there would be no market for them other than for a wacko like me. I like the Thule pads for the past generation CRV so much that I removed the roof rack on my 2007 Rav4, fabricated adaptors (bolt hole spacing is different) and installed the landing pads made for the previous CRV on my Rav4. I snap on the racks and remove them with the push of a button. It's so freaking easy that I remove them after each use to get better gas milage. Takes about ten seconds for both front and back.

McMaster-Carr is a great site for materials for my hair-brainned projects.

Dave