Yet another question about kayaks please

Hello Everyone,

New poster here. I have been kayaking for about 1 year now and would say I am still a newbie. I own the OT Rush and have quickly outgrown it. I am really considering the Hurricane Tampico 140s as my next upgrade. BTW I am 6.0 ft and 175lbs and in fairly good shape 32 yrs old. I have heard this yak is pretty fast but I am concerned about the trylon material. I plan on taking this mostly on lakes and inter-coastal waterways but if possible may also take it in some creeks (slow moving). Does anyone know anything about this yak with the trylon material? I am not sure how durable it is. I am also open to suggestions of other models or any advice. Thanks!

Jason

Eddyline
Eddyline is better quality, but costs more.

Buy used
Get a longer, about 16ft or longer for lakes. For the twisty slow moving creeks, a decent old scholl white water boat can be had for $100 or so. Don’t limit yourself to 1 boat.

2cents worth
hi…as is the oft repeated advice here try b4 you buy if at all possible. other than that…i have not heard of the trylon’s durability. seen a pic of one that got run over by a jeep …wasn’t pretty. it must have been a painful death!

yet another question about kayaks please
test

yet another question about kayaks please
A longer boat? Really? It’s funny you mentioned that because I was also looking at the Hurricane Tracer which is around 16 ft. I was not sure if this might be overkill or not. I guess another question I originally forgot to ask was how sea worthy is the Tampico 140? Can I get away with a 14 footer at sea? Please keep in mind that I am not planning on any artic expeditions with large areas of open seas…just along the coast and maybe some sounds as I get more experience/confidence in my paddling.

WE HAVE A TRYLON TRACER
I bought Sally a Hurricane Tracer a little over 3 years ago, used. It’s Trylon, and looks great, nicely shines up with a little soap & water to look like glass tho’ it’s plastic, and it’s really pretty tough stuff. Hurricane was one of the first to go with a vacu-thermo-molded boat, and they apparently got it right -I’ve heard from a friend he saw a Trylon boat -maybe a Phoenix SOT -being dumped off the roof of a car in an asphalt parking lot, and it was OK, one hit, no cracks or runs, no errors. The Tracer is -and, I assume, the other Hurricane boats -built in 2 pieces with a hull-meets-deck seam like most glass/composite boats.

You’ll have no worries bashing a boat made of Trylon around a bit -we use ours down here over coral rock bottoms among others, and have dropped it a couple feet a couple times, and it takes a lickin’ and still keeps tickin’ -and lookin’ good.

At 16-1/2’ X 22-3/4" with a moderately high foredeck, it fits most paddlers, tho’ some smaller kayakers might find it a bit larger than they might like -you’re a good size for it. Based on some advice from Grayhawk, I supplanted the footpegs with a solid piece of minicell, and Sally can now brace her feet at the sides like a conventional setup with pegs, or in the middle, which improves the fit for her.

The boat needs either a rudder or skeg -we installed a skeg post-purchase -to track in anything but the absolutely most benign of conditions.

The Tracer is much more a touring boat than the Tampico, and it will be a faster boat in most paddlers’ hands, too.

You could do much worse than a Tracer for your next boat to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

I second everything said about
The Tracer. I have had one for several years. However, DO NOT repeat DO NOT buy one unless it has a rudder or a built in skeg. The orginal designs had neither plus it had much more rocker that the current Tracer and was hard to control. The design was changed and now they are much better. Just remember no skeg or rudder no deal.

I have not tried any of the other huricane boats but I assume they all have their good points.

Also it is a small company. Boats are made in the US. And when you call, chances are you will talk with an owner. They have great service and support after the sale.

Dave

Yes you can "get away with it"
and shorter boats are great for poking around rock gardens and surf. Longer boats are nicer for longer stretches of paddling. Kind of a general statement.

Surely you’re not…
suggesting any other kayak material would have survived being run over??

Well, I was gonna…
say that you should aim higher, but this does look like a very capable boat. Seems to have very little rocker so most of the length will be in the water and it’s definetely not what I would consider a wide boat. It probably will have plenty of speed for you. No doubt it will maintain 3.5mph with a low effort stoke. Hell, I pretty much manage that in my 14’ Pungo and I’m certain I’m not as fit as you. The 43# weight of the Tampico would be much preferred over the near 60# weight of most plastic “touring” boats. My only concern would be the lack of a skeg or rudder to deal with weather cocking should you find yourself with any wind pushing you around. You could use corrective strokes and probably edge this boat to stay on course but for me that gets old in about 2 minutes. Just something to consider.

If you’re going with a 14’ length to maintain maneuverability, don’t automatically assume that longer means less maneuverable. My Sirocco at 17’ can probably out-turn most all 14’ rec boats out there and still provide a decent cruising speed. Not that I would necessarily say the Tampico is a rec boat, but probably not quite a touring boat either. And I am in no way trying to suggest that the Sirocco is the boat for you. Just kinda thinking out loud.

Anyway, best of luck in your decision. I’m sure you’ll enjoy whatever you get.

-SP

Hurricane Trylon plenty tough enough
Don’t worry about the Trylon-we’ve found it to be quite durable. The Tracers all have come with skegs now for three years so tracking is not going to be the problem you might read about prior to that. I am a small paddler and have the Tampico 135S and on day trips I keep up with everyone and anyone. So if the 140S fits you I wouldn’t rule it out! Great kayaks and my brother and husband both have Tracers and love them. The ice is off the lakes!!!Yea!!!

Tampico XL…
Would be good if you want it.

I’m about your size, and the regular model didn’t comfortably fit my feet.

For your paddling goals, I’d look to longer boats.

Longer usually gets narrower, thus making it less effort to paddle, or faster when you need it.

A longer boat can do twisty creeks very well, if you learn to put it up on edge. It’s not hard. Mostly you want shorter when you find you’d like to turn around, instead of back up.

The trylon material seems to be holding it’s own.

My wife’s boat is a CD Kestrel made from TCS, which seems to be the same thing.

It takes a beating, no doubt.

I would put it anywhere a composite boat would go.

T