Zegul Greenland GT kayak inputs

Greenland GT - Greenland style kayak with ample storage | Zegul (zegulkayaks.com)

What’s your thoughts on this kayak? I’m short 5’4 / 155lbs. Its labeled as small to medium paddlers but then some of the reviewers says 160lbs to 250lbs paddler while the kayak spec says max 298 lbs total capacity. Looking for a fun kayaks that turns well, edges, and can go distances of up to 30miles at 4.7mph avg pace (that’s my current best pace with a Boreal Design Alvik 17ft and a Necky Chatham 18ft). Not looking to race at all but I do like to move fast. I don’t need a lot of storage as I don’t go camping with my kayak. Hoping to learn to roll this coming months ago again.

Looking to buy this brand new at a dealer that’s a little bit far away from me so will have limited ability to test it out fully. Also silly question, do I need to use a greenland paddle with a greenland kayak? I am planning to stick to my euro blades Werner Ikelos and Werner Cyprus.

I don’t know anything about this boat. But, as a small paddler @ 5’3"x145-150 lbs, mostly a daytripper, with a lot of boats under my butt over the years, I think the dimensions of that boat reflect more volume than you need for long daytripping (which involves some supplies in the hatches but not much). That means it is going to be much more affected by wind for you than a smaller boat. If you want more speed on calmer water, get a boat with less rocker. This will be slightly faster than a more rockered boat with the same nominal length.

I think a 16-17’ length, 20-21" (19-20" if you are confident) beam, with an aft depth of no more 10". The latter will make a difference with lay back rolls when you want to learn to roll.

You can use any type of paddle with any kayak you want. I used both GP and Euro with my SINKs. I use mostly a wooden GP with fishing SOT (an esoteric thing I have here - with an extended GP sweep roll I get a lot of lift and can right my wide SOT with fishgear strapped onto the deck). I want to try and get a midsize wing paddle at some point. The difference in paddles doesn’t matter to your kayak. It does matter with your stroke technique respectively for GP, Euro and wing. There are differences here.

sing

3 Likes

you can paddle a tire tube with a Euro paddle, Greenland paddle or a 2x4.

4-5 grand for a kayak you better like it and demo it. New boat will not magically transform your skills.

4.7 mph for 30 miles nice feat.

Karla or Sisu

20" wide

2 Likes

I have a used Tahe Greenland, smaller that the GT. (I believe Tahe went out of business and Zegul took over making their designs; Rebel kayaks also makes the same design.)

My spouse and I bought this kayak as a “cheater” rolling boat to learn to roll. But we’ve also used it for day trips. He is about your weight though several inches taller, I’m lighter, and we both find it plenty spacious for day trips. I personally wouldn’t want a larger volume one, and I don’t think he would either, but I guess it depends upon your level of comfort with a tighter fitting boat.

Where are you located? If you’re in any area with a decent used kayak market I personally wouldn’t buy this new. I usually see the Tahes for around $1500 used.

We don’t time ourselves so I have no idea how fast it is, though it certainly feels faster than other kayaks I’ve been in, but I can tell you for sure that it’s an easy boat to roll.

And, do yourself a favor and give a GP a try! :wink:

Tahe is still very much in business. Zegul is their premium kayak brand so the touring kayaks now fall under the Zegul name. For instance, my Tahe Marine Reval Midi is now called the Zegul Reval MV.

From their website: “You may not recognize the word “Tahe”, which is Estonian for the power of the mind, but you’ll certainly recognize our brands – CORE Kiteboarding, SIC, Zegul and TAHE. We develop, design and manufacture premium and cutting-edge gear for kitesports, paddlesports, surf, and sail enthusiasts.”

Ah, thank you, good to know. My mistake.

Do you know how this relates to the Rebel kayaks? I thought the Rebel Ilaga was the same design as the Tahe Greenland.

I believe Johan Wirsen designed the original Greenland model and contracted with Tahe to build it, which they did for some time in Estonia. I don’t know whether the adaptations of the Greenland design were Johan’s or Tahe’s. At some point, he collaborated with Rebel to build his designs (manufactured by Aquarius in Poland), and that continues today.

This is not unusual, as the Arrow/Arrow Play kayaks were designed by Jesper Kromann-Andersen and are built by Tahe/Zegul in Estonia. He also partnered with Current Designs to build their line of Danish-style kayaks (Prana, Karla, etc).

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, mine is the Wirsen design.

I was also going to suggest the CD Sisu. Not the “playboat” like the shorter Karla, nor an “expedition” boat like the longer Prana. Didn’t know if the OP is locked in onto a kayak with “Greenland” lines. The Kromann-Andersen designs have hull modification of incorporating hard chines just in the midsection of the boat to allow for more aggressive carving into a waveface.

sing

1 Like

Regarding the OP’s original question on the Greenland GT. That model strikes me as too large for you. The published weight I found online is 55 lbs. which is heavy in my opinion (though it may be a ‘heavy’ layup for rough conditions/rocks).

Greenland-style kayaks are seldom a 1-boat answer. You’ll find most owners have them as 2nd/3rd/4th boats to fill a particular niche. While they are brilliant in their way, they aren’t for everyone. There are plenty of other designs with reputations for excellent rolling ability and will provide significantly more room/comfort for those 30-mile days.

unsolicited advice warning If I were you, I’d probably sell the Alvik and Chatham and buy something like the Zegul Arrow Play LV that will provide solid touring/play/rolling characteristics with cockpit comfort for longer days. Then add a low-volume, lightweight Greenland boat later.

I would focus less on looking at specifications sheets, and more on finding a reliable shop or a person selling a boat and then trying the boat for yourself. I have only owned three boats. All of my purchases involved either going to a store that sold boats or finding people who had boats they wanted to sell and then sitting in them, and ultimately taking them to the water and paddling them. Some of the boats I did not buy, appeared to fit me and serve me well on paper, but when I got to the boat and tried to sit in them, I couldn’t get my string bean legs into them or the cockpit was too tight. The reverse is also true, a boat could look suitable on paper and then when you go and sit in it, it’s entirely too big.

Unless you live in a town that is an epicenter of kayaking and it has a local shop, or you belong to a group where people have a variety of different boats, finding the perfect boat takes a little time. You should expect to have to put some miles in traveling places to look at, sit in, and paddle these boats.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the input. I am taking delivery of the Zegul Greenland GT tomorrow. I have tried a few varieties of sea kayaks in the past year. I have sat in a Tahe greenland before in a pool session (for about an hour only) to learn rolling. I am taking a chance to buy this unseen. The dealer/seller is about my same height and weight and he paddles this kayak. He thinks its a solid fit.

I am selling the Boreal Design Alvik. The Alvik is a fast fun boat. However I got spoiled when I got to use the Necky Chatham 18 for a few weeks with its amazing edging ability. I have used the Impex Force3, Current Design Solstice GT, WS Tempest ( I think…), and some older Eddyline. I am in a club that I do have opportunity to test other folks kayak but meeting up sometimes are challenging with tough work/life busy schedule.

Also correction above, I do not and don’t think I can maintain a 4.7mph for 30 miles plus. I have maintained 4.7mph in a 2 hour paddle (roughly 9.5 miles). I miswrote the above. My primary mission for this coming months / year is to be able to roll and get good at it. That’s why I am drawn to these Greenland type currently. Likely in a year or two, I will have another kayak for speed/touring.

I’ll start a new thread with photos galore once I get my new Zegul Greenland GT on the water sometime this week.

4 Likes

Congrats, hope you’ll love it! New kayak day is always great!

Good goal, given what you are interested in!

sing

enjoy :blush:

you’ll be getting a GP paddle next.

1 Like

Took delivery of my new kayak today. Unwrapped it to inspect it and then wrapped it back up b/c we’re having rain for the next 3 to 4 days with crazy wind of 20mph+ all day long. Can’t wait to try it it on the water. For reference, included a photo of my last kayak the Necky Chatham 18 which is a 20" beam with a soft chine. The Zegul is a 21" beam with a hard chine. The Zegul I think should perform better in terms of maneuverability.

4 Likes

Nice, you’ll enjoy it.
My (Tahe) Greenland T, south end of Jekyll I. several years ago:

4 Likes

nice :+1::slightly_smiling_face: what does Alan have? Similar or the same?

Black looks nice but I’ve had black cars :scream: Not sure about visibility aspect either. Solas tape will help at night and even in the daytime. Enjoy, post up some more pictures in water and side shots. :heart_eyes:

Alan M has a Rebel Greenland T. Another fellow Chris in the club has a Tahe Marine Greenland

Those kayak beams are 19 3/4”. Makes mine at 21 1/4” feels like a fatty

1 Like