303 Aerospace Protectant on Jackson Journey 14...did I scratch the finish?

Well…I decided to go ahead and put some 303 Aerospace Protectant on my Jackson Journey 14. I must say during the day sitting in the garage it looks shiny and beautiful! I First took a cotton sock and shoved my hand in it (all after cleaning the kayak first) and sprayed the cleaner both on the kayak and the sock itself and like the Karate Kid it was like wax on wax off. I put a pretty liberal amount on…waited about 5 minutes…then grabbed a dry cotton sock and put my hand in it and wiped it in real decent.

Here is my question and it is really superficial…tonight I went in the garage and we only have one low lit light working in there so shadows appear everywhere. Well as of now I have my kayak placed upside down on top of some soft pillows until I get me a nice Kayak rack…I noticed that at a certain angle it looks like someone took a light brillow pad and in perfect straight lines going all the way across the Kayak there are 1000’s of these tiny little scratch lines going the whole length of the Kayak on both sides(referring to both the top and bottom)…pretty much the whole finish. I really do not think I did this as I did not apply the Protectant on like that but more in a circular pattern.

So I am wondering if the factory over at Jackson Kayak’s is using some kind of paint buffer or something like that to finish off the build and it puts those lines there…and now that I have it all nice and glossy and shiny I am now really noticing them because well…again there is a shiny glossy finish with the Kayak sitting under a small light which is now bringing those fine lines out and of course it is night time with a small dim light so the shadows are bringing them out as well…another words they might have already been there and I never noticed them. I have never docked this on the beach (and these linear scratches are on top of the Kayak as well) and trust me I did not cause these fine line scratches from Kayaking. They are very light scratch marks I mean you can barely feel them if you rub you’re fingers along them but again they all run in the same direction which is linear from the back of the Kayak all the way to the front…both right side up and upside down.

Could my sock have caused this? it was not abrasive at all nor have I ever used anything abrasive on the Kayak even while cleaning it…and if so why would the lines be in straight linear patterns and not more in circular patterns? I did like Master Miyagi told me and applied on with circular motions and not straight across…again wax on…wax off…eeyahh!!

Either way I am not too concerned about this because once this thing is out in the sun it is BEAUTIFUL and not noticeable unless I were to point them out and have someone really lean over and look down the Kayak to notice them.

Also…the material of this 2017 Jackson Journey 14 Kayak is “Linear Polyethylene”…how ironic being that these fine lines/scratches run linear as well. I understand Kayaks get beat up over time but this is my first real Kayak and still new… it is my baby and I suffer from OCD…I actually am supposed to take medication from it but I am afraid of medications…maybe I should start taking them now to ease my stress over little (or what seem big to me) things like this…but I really would appreciate anybody’s input if they have any.

Thanks in advance.

First things first… you’ve hit the nail on the head:

@SilentWaters said: I understand Kayaks get beat up over time

I knew a guy that had a beautiful 15 year old fiberglass kayak without a noticeable scratch on it. I also figured out very quickly that the boat was in excellent condition because he never got out often enough to gain any experience and skill!

It’s normal to feel protective over a new purchase. The more often I experience it, the quicker it seems to fade… But at some point, you’re going to hit a rock (or gravel bar), walk it into something while carrying, scratch it up with your paddle, drag it up a beach, and the list goes on. That’s par for the course when you’re paddling!

DON’T strap it down too tightly to your roof on a hot summer day
DON’T drag it excessively over rough surfaces
DO continue to use a UV protectant occasionally.
DO store it properly, out of the sun and ideally not too hot.
DO rinse it if you paddle salt water or icky swamps.

And for the sake of whatever deity you believe in:
DO get out and enjoy that boat and stop worrying about minor imperfections!

As for your lines, I’ll speculate that this is an imperfection in the mold used to make the boat. I can only guess, but I have to assume the mold is CNC machined and this will leave linear paths similar to your description. Polishing will reduce the appearance significantly, but maybe they don’t spend too much time getting it perfect because of everything I’ve just mentioned.

Okay here are some pictures and please bear with me I took these with an older Iphone 5 but just to give everyone an idea. There are some minor nicks on the bottom that was caused from being transported in the haul truck which I do not care about and the camera is making them look worse than they really are but the lines do run along the whole entire kayak…and yes I realize this part of the Kayak will be in the water and I did not even think about that until after I finished applying the 303 on it, lol…but the top is identical to the bottom with the thin linear lines. I took 4 photos…the first 2 are to show off the fine line scratches and the last 2 are to show how they kinda disappear once brighter light is shined down on the Kayak. Okay the first 2 are taken without the flash on to see how the shadows and low light bring out these lines…and yes they do run 98% linear the camera has them looking a little different and this was the best I could do…
Also the TOP of the Kayak is the same I just did not feel like flipping it over and taking more pictures when it all has the same effect anyway:

Now these next 2 I simply turned on the flash to give more light to show how they kinda disappear once they have more light (like sunlight) on them:

So there ya have it with a dinosaur iPhone camera but I hope these pictures help give some of you an idea of what I am talking about. Thanks again.

1. I have no idea what part of the manufacturing process those textured lines in the hull are from, but I will say with confidence that they are nothing to worry about. And no, you didn’t cause that with your 303 application. No plastic boat is perfectly smooth anyway.

2. You WILL scratch the boat not long after you start paddling in earnest. There are lots of things you can do to minimize how much you scratch it and how often. Some people are careful about such things, and some people are not, but no matter how careful you are, you will get scratches, just not as often or as badly as would be the case for someone who is not careful. And all of the scratches you get will be “worse” than the ones you are showing us here, so just remember: It’s only a boat, and what’s more, it didn’t cost all that much and no one is expecting it to last forever. Chances are good that by the time it gets so old that the plastic is brittle and the sensible thing to do is replace it, you still won’t have scratched it enough to wear it out, and you won’t even have scratched it enough for you to be able to feel any extra resistance as it moves through the water.

3. There’s a guy here with the screen name Magooch who will say that he takes great care not to scratch his boats. On some of my boats, I bet I’m just as careful as he is, but I still get a few scratches and I bet that he does too. When it happens, it happens. That’s life. A boat that doesn’t have any scratches has never given anyone any fun, because all it has ever done is sit on the boat rack in the garage. You may cringe a little each time you scratch it (and hopefully not so much once you’ve been using it a while), but you can still have fun along the way. Just remember you won’t ever have any fun at all if you do what it really takes to never, ever scratch the boat.

@Sparky961 said:
First things first… you’ve hit the nail on the head:

@SilentWaters said: I understand Kayaks get beat up over time

I knew a guy that had a beautiful 15 year old fiberglass kayak without a noticeable scratch on it. I also figured out very quickly that the boat was in excellent condition because he never got out often enough to gain any experience and skill!

It’s normal to feel protective over a new purchase. The more often I experience it, the quicker it seems to fade… But at some point, you’re going to hit a rock (or gravel bar), walk it into something while carrying, scratch it up with your paddle, drag it up a beach, and the list goes on. That’s par for the course when you’re paddling!

DON’T strap it down too tightly to your roof on a hot summer day
DON’T drag it excessively over rough surfaces
DO continue to use a UV protectant occasionally.
DO store it properly, out of the sun and ideally not too hot.
DO rinse it if you paddle salt water or icky swamps.

And for the sake of whatever deity you believe in:
DO get out and enjoy that boat and stop worrying about minor imperfections!

As for your lines, I’ll speculate that this is an imperfection in the mold used to make the boat. I can only guess, but I have to assume the mold is CNC machined and this will leave linear paths similar to your description. Polishing will reduce the appearance significantly, but maybe they don’t spend too much time getting it perfect because of everything I’ve just mentioned.

Thank you this is exactly what I needed to read. Exactly…just keep getting this thing out on the open waters and enjoy the Heck out of it. :slight_smile: I just wish the weather was better right now because I really want to go tomorrow. I love getting more and more confident in it especially when it comes to dealing with wind (I have no rudder installed which would help) but more importantly when the wind picks up out of nowhere and I am out in the Lake and out of nowhere here comes the 2 foot waves,lol…I must admit the panic that kinda comes over me I actually in some odd way enjoy as well. I mean I have everything I need if I flip over (and I have,lol) but again I am loving this thing and I’ll just do my best to keep it looking it’s best and I am positive this will not be my last Kayak. :slight_smile:

Thank you for you’re awesome positive comment. :smiley:

@Guideboatguy said:

1. I have no idea what part of the manufacturing process those textured lines in the hull are from, but I will say with confidence that they are nothing to worry about. And no, you didn’t cause that with your 303 application. No plastic boat is perfectly smooth anyway.

2. You WILL scratch the boat not long after you start paddling in earnest. There are lots of things you can do to minimize how much you scratch it and how often. Some people are careful about such things, and some people are not, but no matter how careful you are, you will get scratches, just not as often or as badly as would be the case for someone who is not careful. And all of the scratches you get will be “worse” than the ones you are showing us here, so just remember: It’s only a boat, and what’s more, it didn’t cost all that much and no one is expecting it to last forever. Chances are good that by the time it gets so old that the plastic is brittle and the sensible thing to do is replace it, you still won’t have scratched it enough to wear it out, and you won’t even have scratched it enough for you to be able to feel any extra resistance as it moves through the water.

3. There’s a guy here with the screen name Magooch who will say that he takes great care not to scratch his boats. On some of my boats, I bet I’m just as careful as he is, but I still get a few scratches and I bet that he does too. When it happens, it happens. That’s life. A boat that doesn’t have any scratches has never given anyone any fun, because all it has ever done is sit on the boat rack in the garage. You may cringe a little each time you scratch it (and hopefully not so much once you’ve been using it a while), but you can still have fun along the way. Just remember you won’t ever have any fun at all if you do what it really takes to never, ever scratch the boat.

You know I bet it had something to do with the freight shipment…I mean for one thing this thing had to be hauled half way across the Country to get to me and get this…these 2 rough rednecks step out the truck with the Kayak just put in a clear plastic bag…no box or padding or anything I mean that is how it was shipped!!..then they dropped it on my driveway full of pebbles…they did not place it down but just dropped it and this thing is heavy…I let them know how I felt about that one and just gave me a look like “Typical Rich city slicker”. Yes I live in a nice area but I am not rich and so what if I was…if they are that miserable with their jobs go back to school I mean community College helped me out when I was down. A’holes…they got real upset with me when I took a real good look at the entire Kayak before signing the papers to accept it. People can be so cruel…oh well their problem not mine.

Yes, I think you are letting your OCD get the better of you. Molded plastic kayaks are not perfectly smooth and glass-like, nor are the intended to be. The process of making them doesn’t produce that kind of surface. And it doesn’t need to. A kayak does not need to be perfectly slick and shiny to function properly. The boats are made by pouring beads of plastic into a mold and then heating it until the melt and flow into all the crevices – it’s not a process that produces a glossy finish in the first place and as it is handled in the factory and in shipping and then use it will gain more marks. Your boat’s appearance is normal and natural. I am concerned that if you are this unreasonably obsessive about how it looks now, you will not be able to cope with the normal wear that it will accumulate – that ALL boats accumulate – in normal use.

The Aerospace protectant is meant to reduce UV light damage, not to make it look shiny. In fact, you may have put too much on if it looks like that. It won’t hurt it but it is a waste of product and may actually mean that much of it will wash off into the water when you paddle the boat, which is not great for the environment.

Nothing about the boat’s appearance is going to affect how well it performs. It is a tool for getting out and enjoying nature, not a museum piece to be preserved and obsessed about. I realize if you are troubled with OCD that this may be hard to understand, but it would be best if you just took the kayak out and paddled it and stop inspecting and admiring it. To most of us, a kayak that shows some scratches and wear is the most beautiful because it proves that it has been used for all kinds of enjoyable outings.

@willowleaf said:
Yes, I think you are letting your OCD get the better of you. Molded plastic kayaks are not perfectly smooth and glass-like, nor are the intended to be. The process of making them doesn’t produce that kind of surface. And it doesn’t need to. A kayak does not need to be perfectly slick and shiny to function properly. The boats are made by pouring beads of plastic into a mold and then heating it until the melt and flow into all the crevices – it’s not a process that produces a glossy finish in the first place and as it is handled in the factory and in shipping and then use it will gain more marks. Your boat’s appearance is normal and natural. I am concerned that if you are this unreasonably obsessive about how it looks now, you will not be able to cope with the normal wear that it will accumulate – that ALL boats accumulate – in normal use.

The Aerospace protectant is meant to reduce UV light damage, not to make it look shiny. In fact, you may have put too much on if it looks like that. It won’t hurt it but it is a waste of product and may actually mean that much of it will wash off into the water when you paddle the boat, which is not great for the environment.

Nothing about the boat’s appearance is going to affect how well it performs. It is a tool for getting out and enjoying nature, not a museum piece to be preserved and obsessed about. I realize if you are troubled with OCD that this may be hard to understand, but it would be best if you just took the kayak out and paddled it and stop inspecting and admiring it. To most of us, a kayak that shows some scratches and wear is the most beautiful because it proves that it has been used for all kinds of enjoyable outings.

Yes you are 100% correct about my Obsessiveness. I suffer from PTSD from childhood abuse (it was horrible and lasted for a long time) and it kinda did something to me in my head really bad, then around age 16 (38 now) the OCD started taking effect…but just reading these awesome comments I feel perfectly fine now and am ready to hit the Lake in a bad way. :slight_smile: Thank you again everyone for your replies. I am not always this bad but sometimes little things will set me off then I think it is the end of the World or something…but I am going to go out and enjoy this Kayak as often as I can and start getting an idea as to what Kayak I will want next if I want variety like maybe a longer Kayak? lol…this will not be for a long time this Journey 14 is awesome. I do know that when I am out in the waters I sure as heck am not thinking about scratches on my boat it is just me free in the waters with a narrow kayak and a paddle…life is awesome.

Just thought I would mention that I got a really good deal on this brand new 2017 Jackson Journey 14 (Smart Track Rudder Compatible…but bought it without the rudder) as at the time I did not think I would need it and really do not…but I think next Month I am going to put one on just to see how it helps out during those sudden unexpected windy conditions that come out of nowhere that can really steer the kayak to one side or the other quite quickly…and just for an overall tracking upgrade which it is designed for. Most people that Kayak at the Lake I go to all have rudders and swear by them.

I got to know the sales person at this particular online company very well in fact I will be visiting him up North this early Winter for some pretty intense Kayaking. So he cut me some serious deals being he was the Accounting Manager.

So instead of paying $1200.00 he gave it to me for $900.00 in fact it may have been a little bit less than that and cut the shipping down in half to $50.00 for freight. I used the money saved to buy some decent gear. :slight_smile:

He no longer works at this particular company as he got another job as an instructor (I hope he did not get himself fired for hooking me up with some sweet deals) but I’d say yes I indeed got an awesome deal. I mean I am not trying to brag (okay a little :wink: I am going to have to start saving up for a decent dry suit of some sort for the future as I definitely plan on Kayaking during the Winter…I love Cold weather however I still do no want frost bite or hypothermia…so this will be my next more expensive item to acquire once I have the means for it. :slight_smile: …and now would probably be a great time to start learning how to roll this Kayak which is supposed to be easy once one figures it out.

Thanks again for the replies and comments on my OCD that can get out of control…I will no longer let my OCD get out of control when it comes to my Kayak and scuffs, etc. that it will acquire…of course I will still clean it and do my best to protect it from the sun,warping etc. but I am not going to drive myself crazy with it just do the best I can…like someone mentioned…scuffs etc. just means I actually use this Kayak rather than leave it in the house as an ornament. lol

First of all, the 303 did not scratch your boat. As long as you used clean socks, neither did your elbow grease scratch it.

Second, even wrapped in plastic, if anybody dragged the boat on a coarse surface, THAT could have scratched it. Maybe somewhere in transit the boat was slid on the ground. People drag boats all the time.

Third, although dragging boats is not a good practice, you are going to get scratches one way or another, and not just one time. I take great care with my glass sea kayak to avoid dragging it. Most of the hull is still shiny and smooth. Yet even having launched most times on soft sand, it does have scratches. The worst one happened as I was paddling in shallow water. I never saw the sharp rock below. And the boat had enough momentum that I couldn’t stop it fast enough to avoid getting a couple of long, fairly deep scratches.

My Jackson WW kayak got scratched fairly early on. In rocky rivers, it WILL happen. I still pick up and carry rather than drag, though.

@willowleaf said:
…and may actually mean that much of it will wash off into the water when you paddle the boat, which is not great for the environment.

I’m glad you pointed this out. It’s a very important point. I was thinking about it when I replied but forgot to add it after my concentration focused on getting the OP out of the garage and onto the water. :smile:

Sounds like you have a good attitude and a healthy awareness of how to manage your OCD (which is great!) We all have that anxiety about how using a nice new possession will scuff it up. I remember when I would get new white athletic shoes back in high school and the first time I would wear them to gym class – everybody would tease me for having spotless white shoes and try to step on my sneakers to scuff them up. I’d be really upset at first but eventually, no matter how well I tried to protect them they would get marks and dirt on them just from wearing them anyway. So, like you with your kayak, being upset about it passed and I stopped fretting. You realize that it doesn’t matter what your stuff looks like as long as it makes it easier to play basketball or enjoy a day of paddling on a beautiful lake.

@pikabike said:
First of all, the 303 did not scratch your boat. As long as you used clean socks, neither did your elbow grease scratch it.

Second, even wrapped in plastic, if anybody dragged the boat on a coarse surface, THAT could have scratched it. Maybe somewhere in transit the boat was slid on the ground. People drag boats all the time.

Third, although dragging boats is not a good practice, you are going to get scratches one way or another, and not just one time. I take great care with my glass sea kayak to avoid dragging it. Most of the hull is still shiny and smooth. Yet even having launched most times on soft sand, it does have scratches. The worst one happened as I was paddling in shallow water. I never saw the sharp rock below. And the boat had enough momentum that I couldn’t stop it fast enough to avoid getting a couple of long, fairly deep scratches.

My Jackson WW kayak got scratched fairly early on. In rocky rivers, it WILL happen. I still pick up and carry rather than drag, though.

Yeah I’ve accepted that this kayak will get scuffed up no matter how much I maintain it…it is just something that confused me because these scratch marks go all around the entire Kayak in the same direction…even the top of the Kayak has the scratches…so that is why I really think it had something to do either while at the factory…or a Ghost,lol

Does not matter though at least they are superficial.

That does sound like it happened at the factory. But if the scratches are superficial and you got a great price on the boat, don’t fret over it. Maybe you got a deal because it wasn’t cosmetically perfect. They won’t hurt, paddling-wise.

Good Grief !

You might enjoy watching these videos of how Jackson makes their kayaks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNObPLOioIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Wvygxhcy4

When I get a new boat, I immediately intentionally scratch it myself. No more worries.

Nobody has said it, but maybe the boat was demo’ed roughly and then put in a new bag before you bought it. At any rate, just go paddle it.

Everyone should post pictures of the bottom of their OWN boats to add to this thread… lol

I know mine aren’t pretty to look at! :slight_smile:

My hull is still okay, but three days after getting the boat I decided to try self-rescues, one with my Werner and a paddle float and the other using my GP as an outrigger while scramblng up the stern. The Werner slipped. I guess I could use polishing compound on the scratches. Easier to just not look at them.