4 seater, reasonable price?

You know, one can sit on an SUP. You even can put seats on. You also can use kayak paddles. Probably not on a very wide family SUP, though. But you can use the SUP paddle canoe style.

Narrby’s renting idea sounds solid.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have not yet received or paddled your iSUP. Or, if so, you haven’t paddled it much, because if you had, you would know that iSUPs are basically floating mattresses that you stick a fin on and control with a paddle, power, and footwork. I’ve been doing this for a decade and know of what I speak. The idea of one person controlling a giant iSUP with 4 people on it is not the least bit practical. It sounds like a nightmare tbh. As @davbart said, it’s basically a raft, but a raft would be better. At least in a raft a sole paddler wouldn’t have to move from side to side just to get the paddle into the water, and by doing so launch her children from the iSUP.

$10,000 used car with a grand down and a 5 year loan is about $175/mo. Not all of us “need” a brand new $35,000 ride.

Who are you addressing?

Yes, I know all of those things, I own SUPs and paddle them often. All of those things point to why the ISUP isn’t the solution for the OP.

The person I replied to - LurkingPedal. It’s not always clear on this forum.

Maybe something’s are just not possible to do safely.

I agree an iSUP will be a barge and not the greatest craft to log distances. But what is the alternative that checks all the other boxes? Only other craft that is reasonable to transport I can think of would be an inflatable canoe, like the SE travel canoe. That is hard to get back into, but will boat better. So you gain speed at the expense of safety and utility (swimming platform). Maybe a canoe works safety-wise if we assume it won’t tip over and if one kid falls out, mom can retrieve one child. Obviously depends on the waters they will be in and actual abilities of the children.

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned already. Wearing PFD at all times would be mandatory with any of the suggestions IMHO.

Edit: an inflatable kayak also could work. May be more stable than the above canoe. Check out the SE 465 or similar. It would be more stable than a canoe, and probably easier to climb back in. but probably still need help climbing back in (don’t know). For either solution you should do a test in safe water to practice re-entry.

My friends son was autistic. He had seizure in a pool and drowned. He was19. :sob:

That may be true Paddledog, but I’d bet he was (1) not closely attended and (2) was not wearing a PFD. (3) A Seizure in the pool is not something that can be foreseen any more then a seizure crossing the street or starting down a set of stairs.

So we need to look at things specifically instead of painting everything with the brush of fear .

Can bad thing happen?
Yes. ( Thadlo take head and make emergency plans)

Can they kill people?
Yes. ( Thadlo take head and make emergency plans)

If you are “safe” and never take a chance will you live forever?
NO!

And what life you’d have is biological, instead of having any meaning if you “play it 100% safe” all the time.
I’d encourage Thadlo to proceed.
But get connected with friends first and take precautions, but those girls probably need something fun to do, and a family activity like paddling may be good for them far more then being bad.

Can it end badly?
Sure. ( Thadlo take head and make emergency plans)

So can all other activities of life. And some day it will. It is appointed for all people to die once and after that the judgement.

But life is not a measure of how many boring and meaningless days you can get behind you. It’s about living and doing things to help others . Show love and be loved. If you die having fun until fun until your last few seconds---- how is that worse then living in a life in which you’d welcome death because there is nothing fun or meaningful to look forward to?

So while I’d agree that caution and training as well as taking the time to make friends who can and will help is worth the time and effort, I for one would not choose not to try it.

Others may disagree. But that’s why we have forums to openly discuss ideas and compare opinions.

1 Like

If you are near water or could find a place to store near water a paddle boat would work, they are cheap, hold the number you need but they are not a easy to transport item, just a thought, good luck.

Three young adults with special needs is a lot for even an experienced kayaker to handle. Ratio of one to three is not fear is bad odds.

Humans are terrible at assessing risk and focus on outliers. The typical drive to the airport that is more dangerous than the flight - but people are afraid of the flight.

Look at CDC data on what people in the US die of. Obesity, heart, diabetes, cancer etc. claim hundreds of thousands of lives every year. Outdoor activity obviously would help fighting those diseases. But what does everyone focus on? “You could get bitten by a tick and get lymes disease, touch poison ivee etc.” Then people use that as an excuse to continue their couch-TV life to “stay safe”. Even if those diseases only kill a few, if any, people.

Obviously when you are outdoors you should stay safe and not be reckless. Be knowledgeable about weather, use protective gear, practice rescues etc. But know, not going outdoors also carries a risk (and according to above CDC statistics, a more lethal one). You can extend that to people being outdoors less likely to be suicidal, depressed, addicted etc. Also the recent (or current) pandemic is much worse for people indoors than outdoors.

Obviously 3 kids add to the challenge. So be outdoors, but add more cautionary measures and know when not to go out. Start out slowly and observe how the kids handle and what they are capable off (and what not).

I agree that the OP’s initial request is a unicorn hunt, and was also going to suggest that a jon boat might be a better option. But not something big enough to require an outboard.

A bare bones 12 foot square bow jon boat could be easily rowed, and trailered behind just about any vehicle. It might be sluggish and maybe a little tippy if too many people are moving around, but probably better than any kayak. It doesn’t require a ramp to launch and haul out. Just drag it in and out of the water (preferably over grass, dirt or sand). If you can recruit the daughters in dragging the boat, all the better. You might even be able to manage a 14 footer, which would be more stable and possibly faster with 4 people.

They are in tidal waters. I don’t know what that means in their location but that is typically not a place for a human powered box.

1 Like

How about a 17’ canoe with an extra seat, and outriggers added? Maybe oarlocks for more power?

I would start off with something like this or of a higher quality if budget provides for it. Hug the edge of the waterway you will be on and leave the launch point going against the wind or current. Get 4 good quality PDFs and have the kids get used to wearing them in the water. Invest in a couple cheap single blade paddles for the kids that might want to paddle and tether them to the raft. Find a location with high usage and calm water. The kids won’t care if you are 10 miles from launch or 100 yards, stay close at least the first few times while you judge things.

Try the foot pump that comes with it but end up buying a 12v pump that plugs into your car. When done let the air out pack it in your trunk or hatch back. when you get home blow it back up and let it dry out good.

For around 500 bucks you will be on the water having safe fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Excursion-Inflatable-Boat-Series/dp/B00CMBJ1VE?th=1

Famous last words hug the edge. People get into trouble all the time doing that solo in kayaks. Throw in one paddler of limited experience and 3 other people in a larger craft you have trouble waiting for you. Winds change and it’s only a forecast.

This gives the OP the chance to start cross-fit training, buy a trailer and build a garage. And she can start a small combustion engine DIY career. And 4 people will stretch the weight limit. You never know what you get into with a new hobby even when you just wanted to paddle for fun.
/sarcasm

One could look into an inflatable that can take a battery trolley motor. That would help with the “1 paddler - 4 person” problem. Obviously need to know how far to boat with a charge and some states require registration of motor boats. But that would be the cheapest and most transportable option.