7 days on the Apalachicola River, FL

No portages
There were some low, LOW water areas but never had to portage…though I think that had a lot to do with a decently planned route. But it doesn’t take a genius to look at the river banks and cypress roots to realize just how bad the water situation is down there. The water wars were a huge subject for the week’s educational presentations. No easy solution to all of that and not going away any time soon. But there are many more communities (both human and non)involved and it is not as simple as protecting two mussel species. Going to get worse before it gets better, I think.- Toddy

Yahoo, and the rains came.

– Last Updated: Oct-21-07 12:55 AM EST –

Guess you all know they drained Lake Lanier so we would have water to paddle our trip. Not maybe some of the people will start moving out of Atlanta.

OK...here's the trip story from my perspective.

The trip was a 106 - 109 miles long depending who was telling the story. At the end of the week my GPS recorded 144.86 miles but I paddled 4 moonlight trips, plus across, back, up river-back down and around everything.

We started the week long trip at Seminole Lodge on the west bank of Lake Seminole on Saturday morning October 13, 2007. The weather was beautiful with a still slight morning chill as we paddled to the Jim Woodruff Dam where we were locked through which was an exciting new experience for many.

During the week the group was given informative lectures on historical, environmental and conservation issues which included hikes and a few good meals.

Paddling days ranged from 13 to 23 miles. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were each over 20 miles and seemed to take their toll on a few.

The food for the trip was provided. If you were hungry then you should have been on this trip. Wilderness food wasn't included unless ribeye steak, shrimp, baked chicken and a few gourmet dishes are your definition of wilderness food. I'm pissed...they didn't serve Beanee Weenees once so I skipped one meal and ate the survival can I took on the trip. You knew I couldn't paddle a week with out Beanee Weenees.

It was a good trip and the best was saved for the last day when the sky opened up in the middle of the night...down came the rain and washed the spider out and everything else in sight. But by then most of the fires had gone out and many didn't appreciate the weather change. Luckily it didn't happen on the first day or the ending might not have been so sweet.

Anyhow, all was forgotten when they saw the Bay Bridge. With cheers, laughter and a few war-hoops we paddled into the bay made a u-turn and paddled to the boat ramp.

Friday night we were served a fabulous shrimp dinner and presented T-shirts and certificates...so I've been there - done that and got the T-shirt to prove it.

It was a fun, informative and educational trip. I'd like to type more but I've got to go wash my wet clothes.

ps. When I got home I found a white VHF radio in my dry bag...oops......

Richard

How about some pictures
I would like to see what that part of the state looks like.

Check these 3 out

– Last Updated: Oct-24-07 11:04 PM EST –

Sorry, I didn't take a camera on this trip. All of these pictures were taken on the trip by Earl Morrogh.

http://picasaweb.google.com/A.Riverkeeper/ARK_People

http://picasaweb.google.com/A.Riverkeeper/ARK_Places

http://picasaweb.google.com/A.Riverkeeper/ARK_Paddling

More pictures
Jack Carbone just posted some new ones…some of which are pretty good (though I might be biased as an attendee of this trip). Many happy returns- Toddy

www.jackcarbone.com/apalachicolarivertrip.html

Nice pics…
thanks for sharing. Here’s quick link to help make getting to them easier:

http://jackcarbone.com/apalachicolarivertrip.html/

You missed the cheapest, over fed

– Last Updated: Oct-25-07 7:57 PM EST –

week long trip possibly in the history of kayaking.

Hope to see you in Alabama next year.

Richard

Yeah…
I know. I’ve been sending photo links from the trip to friends saying, “This is where I SHOULD have been last week!”

Doh!
Thanks for fixing the link. That’s what I get for posting from my pda…

Many happy returns - Toddy