Advice for beginner used kayak purchase

Ha! Growing up near the beach, I’ve done my share of body surfing. I have a strong respect for any moving water.

1 Like

Thank you

Thank you, those dimensions should work for us. I’m 5’4 150 and husband is 5’10 185. Hoping those weight numbers are on the way down😂

You’ll be fine with the boats you listed IF they are comfortable.

We actually hope to buy both if they seem like good fits. I am a little concerned about the buoyancy factor, as each has only one bulkhead. Is that yoga ball thing really a viable solution? Sounds like a great idea.

Stuff it firmly under the deck and you’ll be fine. If you happen to capsize in a rec boat, getting back in is difficult if not impossible without help.
I am as safety conscious as I can be for a mostly flat water paddler , ALWAYS wear a PFD, don’t go out in dangerous conditions etc. The only times I have ever capsized in a rec boat were getting in or out or intentionally.
When I get a new boat I intentionally find out how far I can lean until I’m in the water. That was recommended here long ago.

PS. Rec boats should not be used in surf. One little wave and they sink to the gunnels.

4 Likes

Absolutely, and they get heavy.

We are definitely safety conscious. No worries there.

1 Like

Just found 2 Pungo 120s for sale, including paddles, wheel carts and PFDs. $600 each. Thoughts?

1 Like

Found a couple of 120s for sale. We are 5’4” 150 and 5’10 185. Would those work for us, in your experience?

That sounds very reasonable for boat and gear. And those are good kayaks for your intended use. They should fit you both well enough and be easily sold for what you have in them if you decide they aren’t for you.

I agree with Castoff aka Flotsam.

Offer $500. Cash is hard to turn down this time of year.

2 Likes

I planned to. :slight_smile:

Thanks, we get more wake than wave on the lake. Only see whitecaps if it’s very windy, in which case we would be inside!

A few years ago the USCG, after a long fight with paddleboard manufacturers, designated paddleboards as “Vessels”, same as a canoe, kayak, powerboat, or oil tanker. As such operators are required to at least have an approved PFD readily available. I advise that small craft operators always wear one. Most states and other localities for inland waters follow USCG requirements.

Many paddleboarders around here often use Type V inflatable PFDs. They are very compact, resembling a fanny pack. If using one of these they must be worn at all times, not just readily available. They should be worn in front.

Around the Chesapeake the USCG has been strictly enforcing the PFD requirement for the last few years. Failure to have an approved PFD results in a $125 fine, last I heard. Another $125 if no whistle or approved sound producing device.

Not as common now, but in this area there are still paddleboarders who are unaware of the PFD requirement. If I see someone, I make it a point to let them know. I’ve never had someone get upset when told this. They are mostly surprised, and a few turn back to go and get one right away. I’m amazed that retailers don’t tell people about the PFD and whistle requirement when they buy a paddleboard. It would be another possible sale and lessen the chance of ill feelings toward the retailer if they get fined later.

The only exception to the PFD requirement in USCG patrolled waters is in a swim or surf zone. Some justifications may require a PFD be worn depending a location, time of year, age of the person, etc.

1 Like

Yes in our case it worked really great and was low cost. I have a thread where a couple years ago I was pretty much in the place you are now thinking about paddling and I found my then tandem canoe sitting on a neighbors wood pile and we did a deal. At that time covid had everything locked down making finding paddle boats tough and I ordered her a new OT kayak from Dicks and it was delivered to our door. She wanted a rec-kayak as much as I wanted a canoe and the combo has worked for us.

So documented all the steps I took outfitting both boats and the cars for hauling them etc. In that thread I show how I did the balls for floatation.

Can always go up in an offer.
All but two of 7 composite Current Designs kayaks I bought I got 100+ off.

Libra XT tandem 22’ for 900 was the guys father’s who died. It was a super deal and I didn’t want to haggle with him he seemed sad selling it. I told him I’d take excellent care of it. He was happy.

The other was a 2 year old Solstice GT literally use a few times with Werner fiber glass shuna paddle, skirt, cockpit cover, and cart. Value new was 4,200. I got it for 1,800 so I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Deals are out there if you have some time. I always take pictures of house, cars, and get a bill of sale with serial number on it. Really had no suspicion on any of them but I do it anyway.

1 Like

Most of the Perception Conduit 13s (which were a lower priced line of models in their Perception Sport series sold in a lot of mass market sporting goods stores) were a comparatively good value because unlike most other moderate price kayaks they have both bow and stern bulkheads. This is an important safety feature. The Conduit 13s are made of a thinner material that Perceptions other lines to keep cost down, but for your intended use that should not be an issue.

$500 is a bit steep for both the Tribute and Conduit – used models like this are usually more like $400 unless they include a decent paddle and other accessories with the price. I think the price escalation due to covid shortages has eased so you might be able to get these for less.

2 Likes