Amazon refunded me $240 on my kayak!

hey, it’s your story
I’m just making observations.

um noticing the packaging on receipt
of the item

before the carrier leaves. Most sane people do this before they sign the delivery receipt.

I wasn’t able to be home
I work full time and XPO, Amazon’s large item handler, doesn’t let you pick your delivery time or window.

Damaged Boats
I was talking with the owner of the only indy shop in town one day and he told me I wouldn’t believe the number of damaged boats that arrive at his door. I forget the ratio but it was astounding. Made me wonder how manufacturers stay in business. I mean I guess the freight handlers compensate them somehow, but Holy Schnikeys.

Yeah
That’s what the Amazon Large Items department guy said. They must have insurance, but it’s still strange that such strong material is so often damaged.

Wait I’m curious…

– Last Updated: Nov-02-16 12:25 PM EST –

On your other thread from September you said you had your 120 on the roof and that the $40 rack was so bad that the boat almost fell off? Which boat was that?

No that was the 106
And I returned that roof rack kit and got a much better one from REI.

Weird

– Last Updated: Nov-02-16 12:40 PM EST –

Seems odd to say that you ended up getting the 120 and in the following sentence talk about it falling off the roof if that's not the boat you meant. Guess I read it wrong.

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1921272

Either way looking at your photos, I have a hard time fathoming you didn't notice such severe damage while putting up your boat.

who unpacked it for you?
And didn’t they tell you about the giant hole in the packaging?

Like I said: it’s your story.

It was still packed when I got home
I didn’t notice a hole in the packaging. I unwrapped it quickly in excitement. You can believe what you want, obviously this happens all the time so I’m clearly not just making this up.

ok

Forklift versus plastic?
Forklift wins every time.

Perhaps you might suggest
How on earth I could’ve done that myself?

Some delivery folks won’t wait for
inspection, because they want to keep their schedule.

Depending on lighting, it’s easy to miss something during an inspection in the excitement of receiving a new toy.

He should have discovered it in the inspection, but I can understand how such things could be missed.

But…

– Last Updated: Nov-02-16 1:44 PM EST –

But to then miss it while you're putting it on the roof and adjusting the straps?

Not only that, sonnyjane,
but this apparently was the second kayak. The first one was returned because it had a hole in it.

It’s logical to expect that a close inspection of a replacement boat would take place, having been burned once. But then…

A lack of attention and common sense can have serious consequences on the water.

Yeah
I just re-read my OP in that thread I’m not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that, misleading wording.

No
The second damaged one never made it to me. It was received damaged at the hub and sent back. As to why they didn’t inspect the first one I have no idea, but this next one better not be damaged too.

now you’re just getting defensive
I said “ok”.

Well I’ve got to acknowledge that
especially given the diligence performed in selecting the particular model.