Anas acuta//Pintail as surf boats?

As part of my introduction this year to surfing a long boat, I had a great surf session along with a bunch of people in surf kayaks and WW boats, and saw that being in the right place at the right time (i.e. nimble, responsive boat) was 80% of the game. The folks in WW boats could linger in the surf, facing the waves, and then quickly spin to catch the ride. In my less nimble boat, I was mostly facing the shore, my torso in pretzel mode to keep my eye on impending mayhem.

I paddled someone’s Anas acuta this summer, (briefly, and only on flat water), and was impressed. Since the boat turned on a dime and was fast off the mark, I thought, oughtn’t this or the Pintail be the surf boat of choice among long boats? But if that were the case, one would expect to see more of them out there, and few people seem to paddle the Anas and I see lots of Pintails for sale. Is there a drawback to these two as surf boats?

an anas acuta or a pintail

– Last Updated: Nov-03-05 9:50 AM EST –

would definitely be more nimble than a lot of other kayaks, they are fun in textured water, and somewhat dull in flat water to be honest. I really like both hulls and would consider buying and anas for sure. But for "surfing". A surf boat would be what you want.

try http://surfkayaks.com which is Mega, or for a good cheap surf kayak that is genuinely more available, http://www.riotkayaks.com/kayaks/core/boogie.asp

These kayaks may look like white water boats but they are not, the volume distribution and the hull are totally different. If you want to fly on a wave this is what you want.

However if you want a sea kayak that surfs better than alot of other sea kayaks, yes an anas and a pintail would be at the top of anyone's list.

Position is everything, but it's funny how when you're in a surf specific kayak how many more waves you do catch!!!

If yer in boston sing's your man for surf info.

If you really want to surf
You can pick up a used surf boat for 400 -600 dollars. There are a few whitewater boats that will actually be pretty fun in the surf, that you can pick up used for less money. Waveskis are the highest performance boats and can be picked up for very little money if you are lucky. A long boat is good for catching gentle swells, some people do amazing things with them in big surf, but when you really get worked in a long boat it is pretty dramatic. Sooner or later you are also going to pearl and pitchpole surfing a long boat, this can do a lot of damage to you and your boat.

Dull?

– Last Updated: Nov-03-05 1:01 PM EST –

"somewhat dull in flat water"

Is it the boat or the water?

The Anas Acuta (and the Pintail) should be good surfers for sea kayaks. Sea kayaks won't be the best type of boat for surfing.

One advantage of a longer (faster) boat is being able to catch stuff that a smaller boat can't. Also, the sea kayak lets you get to remote surfing sites.

I suspect that part of the interest in surfing sea kayaks is the challenge. That is, learning to use a tool that isn't "perfect" for the job.

both
I use both…

i usa a Dagger gt for fun surf at a beach

and a wildy tempest 170 for swell/smaller stuff/further out/harder to access (read as: there ain’t no way i am paddling a mile on flat stuff in my gt)…

blast both ways!

rob

Pintail in surf
I routinely surf a long boat in surf for fun–just playing in waves, surfing, exploring lumpy water, practicing bracing/sideways surfing–and as practice for being in conditions on trips. A straight tracking boat with a tighter bow like the Quest will broach very quickly, and is more difficult to get into position. A boat like the NDK Explorer being a bit more maneuverable is easier to surf and I have friends who are very skilled with this boat. However, the Pintail is much easier to manuever into position and on the wave face than either of these two IMO. That’s the plus–the corrolary is that you really have to work the boat from your hips. I routinely surf with a friend who paddles an Anas, and I’d say that the difference is in preference for hard versus soft chines rather than performance since the skills of the paddler dwarf the differences in the hulls. I’m planning to use the Quest for expeditions, get an Outer Island for fast day trips and rolling, and use the Pintail for teaching, exploring tight spaces and surfing. It is a lovely boat, not fast (you can see the bow wake rise at 4-4.5 knots), but a lot of fun. My guess is that people sell it do so because it is a boat that is a niche craft and because it requires more than the average mastery to paddle well.

find a Coaster

Conversely…

– Last Updated: Nov-03-05 1:54 PM EST –

"One advantage of a longer (faster) boat is being able to catch stuff that a smaller boat can't. Also, the sea kayak lets you get to remote surfing sites."

Most long boats will never ride the kind of waves that a dedicated short surf boat can.

This all comes down to what one wants to do and enjoy.

Any equipment used will provide a challenge to the limits of that design. The question is what will provide the most sense of enjoyment and, yes, excitement. Anas Acuta/Pintail will definitely catch 2-3' confused, mush waves better than my waveski or surf kayak. but a dedicated surf boat will rip on 5' plus steep waves, up and down, with ease while someone in the longer boat would be fighting to survive.

Speaking for myself, I've "surfed" long boats for two years before trying something else. Too me, surfing with long boats is not "surfing" in the sense of what I can do in dedicated surf crafts that begin to emulate what surfers do on surf board. For example, I would be hard pressed to say I "rip" (as in doing dramatic carves, cutbacks and trims) a wave with a long boat...

sing

sing

check out this site
Rockhopping.com cool stuff…longer boats than dedicated surf baots but still able to load for a longer trip!

rob

As long boats go…

– Last Updated: Nov-03-05 2:39 PM EST –

Pintails and Anas Acutas are among the most preferred for surfing and turbulent water.

When I was surfing off RI last month there were more Romanys and Explorers than any other model. Two of the three coaches were using Romanys. The third coach was using an Explorer. I found my Romany was a pleasure in the surf.

As Well Is The Avocet

– Last Updated: Nov-03-05 3:30 PM EST –

depending on the person "surfing" it. NoQuarter's bro', Brad, was out on some waves with us a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty impressed with the long diagonal runs he was getting in his Avocet.

Still not "ripping" though. ;) Set the direction and go. The fact that he was not bongo (side) surfing was pretty good.

sing

PS. Do not bongo surf on a break with boardies, as that's what gives surf kayakers a bad rep. Side surfing on a foam pile can take out two or more boardies at once. Even if you don't get into a fight, it definitely won't win you or any surf kayakers any friends either.

Some Real Kayak Surfing
Check out Vince Shay’s photos from Costa Rica competition …

http://www.pbase.com/vinceshay/costa_rica_worlds&page=all

Pintail
I have a pintail and it surfs really well for a long boat. I have never paddled a surf boat though, so I am no expert. With the skeg up the pintail is almost too manuverable. I find the idea that the Pintail or the Anas are boring laughable, unless we are comparing it to paddling a 2X4.

paddling an anas on flat water is not my
idea of a good time, but perhaps I am jaded at this point, I dunno.

Both the anas and the pintail hit top speed pretty quick and then you’re plowing into a bow wave, they’re fun for playing in textured water, but I only know a few nuts who have one as their “only” kayak.

I’m with Sing
100% on this. Also, Lee G brings up the Coaster, which to me has to be the best surfing sea kayak made. Just a great boat. Pintail is awesome in rough seas for touring. But spend the dough on a surf specific craft and have fun!

$3000 for one of these?
Don’t think I would be dropping in on big waves in a $3000 dollar boat.

Dull?
Paddling any kayak on flat water is dull.

I like a lake with attitude.

VCP builds boats for the north sea
if you are in a situation where that boat is losing integrity you have really big worries!

That assumes they got the build quality right, and vcp is pretty good on that score.

I own both…
…and of the two, the Pintail is better in surf. The AA tends to broach quicker and harder. In the Pintail, you can sometimes catch it when it starts to broach and correct it before it gets past the point of no return.

There’s a considerable difference…
…between the flat water performance of the Pintail and AA. I find that the AA is noticeably faster and doesn’t “hit the wall” as hard as the Pintail. Neither is a fast boat, but the Pintail feels especially piggish to me on flat water. I only use mine when I’m planning on some rough water fun.