... and now: Ceiling Storage Straps?

-- Last Updated: May-01-07 3:06 AM EST --

Hello again.

Another item. I want to store my Tempest 165 by the ceiling.

I considered something like this http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=Kayak-Storage&Product_Code=Bac-PH-01&Screen=PROD

But seems somewhat complicated and expensive as well to what it should be something rather simple. So I am thinking of making my own by simply installing the STRAPS themselves from two pieces of 2 x 4, on the ceiling (one for each strap)

The key is the strap LOCK or some mechanism that allows me to lift the boat and lock the strap for storage, and viceversa when I want to pull it down. Something like this

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=5347&categoryID=233

I would remove the black hooks to save space and simply stapple (or other method) the straps to a piece of 2 x 4 affixed to the ceiling. However this strap is only 1" wide. Ideally I would like to have a 3" wide strap for more support to the boat but it will most likely raise the cost of the project considerably. So, to save, I would simply cut the 1" strap and insert a piece of 3" wide strap to the part that will actually hold the boat when lifted, and the rest of the 1" strap would stay the same, going through the locking mechanism, etc.

I will bet money that some of you have probably already created what I want.

IDEAS PLEASE :)

Rique

Ceiling Storage Method
To store our tandem kayak we install a bolt-through eye through 2 ceiling beams at each end of the kayak. Then tie heavy rope (straps will work too) through both eyes at the stern end (these are permanently tied). Lift the stern into the rear rope, one of us holds the bow & the other ties the bow rope. At the bow end, tie one side permanently, the other side is removable. Try to position the ropes at the bulkheads if possible.

here’s what I did
Two j-hooks screwed into the ceiling joists, spaced to approximate the bulkhead locations as closely as possible. I used my thule straps looped through the j-hooks and around the hull. Then I tightened each strap in turn to hoist the boat to the ceiling (supporting the hull so I’m not placing too much strain on the j hook or ceiling).

My landlord was pleased with the minimalist approach :wink:

Boat Trailer Tiedown Straps
I bought a pair of these at a local garage sale for a few bucks, but you can probably find them at any West Marine or big box that carries motor boat supplies:

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=5311&categoryID=230

Two-inch-wide webbing straps, a J-hook on each end, and buckles to adjust length. Simply install four eye-screws into your ceiling joists at the appropriate locations (roughly aligned with your kayaks’ bulkheads), hang the trailer straps from the eye-screws at the desired height, then slide your boats into your homemade slings. They can be adjusted for height, and you can even ‘stack’ additional boats with extra straps.

Also found this, but have no idea how well it works:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/270074/0/0/strap/All_2/mode%20matchallpartial/30/0

Good Luck!

itsacinchinc.com
I haven’t used this system, but it’s inexpensive, and looks easy. They have a strap kit for canoes and kayaks. I’d be curious as to how it works if you do decide to try it.

Lou

Hello, Thanks
I believe this is what you are talking about. Correct?

http://web6.streamhoster.com/youlookmarvelous/ceilingstorage.jpg

This is the perfect project to come up with something nice and cheap. Yours seem to be one of them. Thank you.

I want more ideas thought.

Ceiling Storage Method
No, not quite like that. The rope is tied to an eye on either side of the kayak, so the rope forms a semi-circle & the kayak just rests on the rope (so the rope basically forms a cradle).

This is what I have in mind…
Two j-hooks screwed into the ceiling joists, spaced to approximate the bulkhead locations as closely as possible. I used my thule straps looped through the j-hooks and around the hull. Then I tightened each strap in turn to hoist the boat to the ceiling (supporting the hull so I’m not placing too much strain on the j hook or ceiling).

My landlord was pleased with the minimalist approach :wink:

Yes, perfect solution, specially with a landlord on your neck :slight_smile:

Luckily I own my place so I can look for something a bit more permanent and stronger. This is more or less what I have in mind

http://web6.streamhoster.com/youlookmarvelous/ceilingstorageEM.jpg

It’s just a question of finding the right strap. I am 5-4" and my T165 will be about 57 lbs… So it would be nice to lower the straps, place the boat in position and lift it, but your system will do very well in the pinch.

More IDEAS ANYONE?

Thank you
I bought a pair of these at a local garage sale for a few bucks, but you can probably find them at any West Marine or big box that carries motor boat supplies:

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=5311&categoryID=230

I can not figure them out, from just looking at them. But I suppose they are just tie-downs and as such they should work all the same… But I will print out the pic and take it to the local Marina store to see what if they have something like that.

---------------

Two-inch-wide webbing straps, a J-hook on each end, and buckles to adjust length. Simply install four eye-screws into your ceiling joists at the appropriate locations (roughly aligned with your kayaks’ bulkheads), hang the trailer straps from the eye-screws at the desired height, then slide your boats into your homemade slings. They can be adjusted for height, and you can even ‘stack’ additional boats with extra straps.

Yes, this seems to be the simplest, cheapest and efficient way of handling the problem

---------------

Also found this, but have no idea how well it works:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/270074/0/0/strap/All_2/mode%20matchallpartial/30/0

Very interesting. Probably ideal for a college student who needs to use every inch of his room :slight_smile:

Good Luck!

Thanks you :slight_smile:

I see…
No, not quite like that. The rope is tied to an eye on either side of the kayak, so the rope forms a semi-circle & the kayak just rests on the rope (so the rope basically forms a cradle).

So… we are all basically talking about the same thing, right?

Some use bolts, or J hooks, or 2 x 4’s like me, at the two points where the bulkheads are located to give the boat maximum support. Some use rope, other straps inclucing me. I guess the only thing different in my case is the “lifting capability” if possible. But even w/o it, we have ourselves a system!

Where is Leonardo DaVinci when we need him? LOL

I use 2 long tiedowns
and 4 hooks in the ceiling. The tiedowns are long enough to be just below chest height and I just push one end in father than it needs to be then swing the other in and pull back. If you have to do it alone you have to raise one end then the other till it is at the ceiling but w/ some help it is super easy. Tiedowns are self locking so you wont accidentally drop the boat and they are cheap.

has anyone tried the Handy-Hooker
hoist system? just went to their website and seems too good to be true. hoist overhead, no pulleys, no tie off cleat.

Thanks,

KYLE

Nice, Nice… but still $55!..
hoist system? just went to their website and seems too good to be true. hoist overhead, no pulleys, no tie off cleat.

Wao… Really, really nice, best I’ve seen so far… But still $55.00! But is the one I would buy. it comes close to the simple idea of a strap with a buckle that you can raise and lower the boat with(see below)

http://web6.streamhoster.com/youlookmarvelous/ceilingstorageEM.jpg

I called a place:

http://www.ahh.biz/catagories/webbing_straps.htm

Where they can custom made anything you want… They can use 2" strap and a buckle… But I’ll bet you it will still cost me over $50 or close to it :)… You can’t win.

They need the dimmensions and they’ll give me a price. I will keep you posted.

Ceiling storage
Your idea with the 2x4 and straps will work, but make sure the kayak is supported properly. Use about 4 straps to support the boat. A friend used the same system (polylpropelene) kayak, and used only two strap, near the ends. The boat “hogged” (sagged) and the result is a deformed hull.

pic is sideways…

My Solution…
I have two kayaks hanging. Blocks from the hardware store, straps made from dive weightbelt material with grommets installed at the ends.

3 single blocks

1 double block

1 cleat

2 spring hooks.

line.

I used the cheaper galvanized hardware to try it out and they have been exposed to the weather for several years. It’s fairly easy to raise 50lbs.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558895618JCmodS

if your cam lock buckles are about 10"
from the ceiling how do you plan on releasing them to let the boat down???

you might do better by building a rack out of wood that attaches to the ceiling and walls-then you just slide the boat on and off at one end…less worry about a piece of webbing giving out…

Celing storage
I went to Home Depot and bought 6 clothline pullys, 2 carbiners, 100’5/16"rope and a mooring cleat. Tied one end of rope to upper rafter, looped rope through traveling pully, back up through pulley#1. Pully#1 mounted beside where I tied rope off to rafter. Rope now threads through pully# 2 that is mounted to lower rafter next to wall. Allow enough rope for the traveling pully to reach floor and still be able to tie off to cleat. I have the cleat mounted to wall 4’ off floor. Tie a prussit loop in rope long enough to make a saddle around boat at bulkheads. Attach prussit saddle to traveling pully with carbiner. Duplicate for other end of boat. You can hoist boat from car, truck or floor.

3 canoes

– Last Updated: May-02-07 3:41 PM EST –

I currently have 3 canoes suspended from the ceiling in my garage.

The total equipment cost for the 6 NRS straps, and the 8 small eye bolts I used was approximately 50 bucks.

Each canoe is supported by 2 straps. I can fully lower or raise any of the 3 canoes in less than 5 minutes, by myself.
I can remove any of the canoes from the system by myself in less than 5 minutes.
I added 2, flat, wooden supports to the straps; each canoes rest on the wooden supports, not the straps. I used scrap lumber for the supports.

Will send photos of the system, if you send me your email address.

BOB

Terrific Pictures and the place…:slight_smile:

– Last Updated: May-02-07 11:41 PM EST –

I have two kayaks hanging. Blocks from the hardware store, straps made from dive weightbelt material with grommets installed at the ends.

>>Hi, Thank you so much for the very good pictures!... What a beautiful set up you have your boat in. Where is that? (curious).

Ok, I looked at the Pics carefully and basically follow the way it works. The only thing I can not make out is the "end." By that I mean, once you have raised the boat, where do you place the rope you used to pull it up? you must tie it up somewhere... but I can not see it from the pictures. It looks so nice I really want all the details.

Also, what size (thickness) of rope did you use?... The rope must determine the size of the pulleys or blocks, etc. of not?