And now the SPRAYSKIRT...

-- Last Updated: Apr-20-07 8:09 PM EST --

Dear friends, and so we meet again :)

We have had long discussions before and you helped me decide on my WS Tempest 165, my truck rack for the boat, the paddle... All imprtant items.

And now the SpraySkirt! (and also a cockpit cover (1.4), if you have any tips)

What kind of paddling you ask?
Since I am a newbie, it will be very conservative, flat water activity this year, considering time goes so fast. I do plan to learn the roll next winter and hopefully be ready to venture on the ocean next year. I do belong to my local paddling club and I hope to be able to go on overnithers, but I am not sure of that yet.

When? from early spring to late fall. (No Winter paddling in the plans yet)

Where? Here in my area VA (22192), WDC, MD area.

I was planning on getting a SEAL such as these http://www.sealsskirts.com/sprayskirt_tr.html because they are a such a popular brand, but I am hearing rumbles that they are not of quality one would expect.

First of all, I don't know exactly the skirt I really need. The Extreme Tour Sprayskirt http://www.sealsskirts.com/enlarged/tr_extremetour.html seems to be great for winter but too hot for summer. I am not sure, that is why I would appreciate all your tips and help

Neo deck not hot

– Last Updated: Apr-18-07 9:36 PM EST –

Non-urban myth. The tunnel might make a diff - if you get the one with a supplex tunnel it'll breathe. I use that kind of all the ocean kayaking, not a problem with leakage.

I thought that boat took a Seal 1.7, but I could be thinking of the 170. We have a couple Seals Extreme Tour skirts, no complaints about the quality at all. I happen to have had great dealings with SnapDragon though so tend to look there first. I have a couple of the Glacier series.

snapdragon
The wife and I both have tempest 165s with the snapdragon glacier trek spray skirts, we are very happy with them. Cockpit size large and tunnel size medium, they have the extra strap across the front to pull them off with out haveing to pull forward on the front strap.

These have a breathable fabric between the skirt and the velcro tunnel.

Dennis

snapdragon
you want popular? go popular

snapdragon
snapdragon glacier trek spray skirts

I have
the Snapdragon Glacier Trek and love it. It is so easy to get onto the combing and the tunnel is very comfortable. Good quality.

Snapdragon
Geez, I can’t remember the model name, but it has a neoprene deck and hybrid tube (nylon topped by a deep neoprene-Velcro band to seal it). When it’s warm, I can undo the Velcro to let more air in. Or I use my OLD Snapdragon skirt that has a very roomy suspendered nylon tube.

I do think the Seals cockpit cover is better than Snapdragon’s, though. It has a sticky textured-rubber coating on the rim and an adjustable security strap, for only $2 more than Snapdragon’s plain nylon one without strap. It’s not hard to add such a strap yourself if you don’t have it, but it’s easier to just buy the Seals cover in the first place.

Snapdragon glacier trek
Tried one on (big mistake) and couldn’t consider a Seals after that. I’m a newbie like you and plan on learning to roll ASAP. I’m patiently awaiting mine to show up… had to order a XL+ cockpit size which was not in stock at the places I checked. I paddle near the Canadian border, so a ROLL + water tight seal with the skirt is mandatory in my opinion.

Not sure I understand you.
Non-urban myth. The tunnel might make a diff - if you get the one with a supplex tunnel it’ll breathe. I use that kind of all the ocean kayaking, not a problem with leakage.

“Non-urban myth.” Celia, sorry but I dont understand what you are saying… What exactly are referring to?.. a particular model, brand? Any way you can link the item so I can actually see it?

----------------------

I thought that boat took a Seal 1.7, but I could be thinking of the 170.

T165= 1.4 for sure

----------------------

We have a couple Seals Extreme Tour skirts, no complaints about the quality at all.

So no leaking problems? That is what I heard somewhere…

-------------

I happen to have had great dealings with SnapDragon though so tend to look there first. I have a couple of the Glacier series.

Blacier series… again, I am a newbie (means idiot really :), “Glacier” souns like for very cold wheather… And that is not what I am looking for.

Thanks

This one?
This one?

http://www.kayakproshop.com/SD_trekbreath.html

Thanks

Snapdragon the winner? :slight_smile:
Tried one on (big mistake) and couldn’t consider a Seals after that.

Boy, it seems as if Snapdragon is the winner hands down. I just hope you guys don’t own the company or have tons of their stock, LOL!

Can one item (brand) be so superior to all others?.. Apparently so according to you and so I will check them out in great detail now.

-----

I’m a newbie like you and plan on learning to roll ASAP. I’m patiently awaiting mine to show up… had to order a XL+ cockpit size which was not in stock at the places I checked. I paddle near the Canadian border, so a ROLL + water tight seal with the skirt is mandatory in my opinion.

Aha… well good luck when you get it. Ok so it seem Snapdragon is teh BRAND, but what about the specific mode?.. Remember our wheather is much warmer here specially from Spring to late fall… So I guess I need a differnt type of skirt?

Well, in any event, at least you all have given a me a direction, I will start investigating what I need exactly and compare notes with you all.

By the way, can you you recommend places to buy them from?.. You are probably way ahead of me in this regard. Knowing what to get is one thing. Knowing where to get it form is another :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for your help :slight_smile:

hmm… ok… thanks

– Last Updated: Apr-20-07 1:18 AM EST –

Geez, I can't remember the model name, but it has a neoprene deck and hybrid tube (nylon topped by a deep neoprene-Velcro band to seal it). When it's warm, I can undo the Velcro to let more air in. Or I use my OLD Snapdragon skirt that has a very roomy suspendered nylon tube.

>> Well, I will check it out. Yes I have read some literature on sprayskirts, the materials, etc and and it seems that a hybrid such as neoprene deck and nylon top is the way to go...or something like that. But I will keep reading.

Thanks for tip on the cover too :)

Thanks

here 20 SnapDragon skirts! which one?

– Last Updated: Apr-20-07 2:01 AM EST –

Hi, well, here they are, 18 models I believe. By looking at the description I believe the TREK SERIES is the one for me. And from those, as several of you suggested, the GLACIER TREK seems to be the best one because of the "Nylong tunnel with the new "Dragon Collar," which I assume to be the top part of the tunnel, CORRECT?

Glacier Trek
http://www.snapdragondesign.com/images/products/trekGlacierTrekNeoNylred.jpg
The Trek Series Glacier incorporates a nylon tunnel with our new Dragon Collar. The Dragon Collar is a unique design featuring a neoprene collar with an adjustable velcro closure. This allows for a secure and comfortable fit around the chest.

http://www.snapdragondesign.com/products.asp

Trek Series:
The Easy Fit series features a spray deck construction of four-way stretch, abrasion resistant, 3.5mm Supratex Neoprene. Combined with the easy fit shock cord the ez is an excellent touring/recreational spray skirt fitting most kayak enthusiasts and cockpits... with ease.
-----
Expedition Series:
The Expedition series, designed for the aggressive paddlers, features a spray deck constructed of heavy duty 4.0mm Expedition Neoprene. Rim Guard Reinforcement is added to the high wear areas of the deck edge, providing an additional layer of protection. The Extreme deck edge features heavy duty shock cord sewn directly into the edge of the spray skirt. The EXP series provides the best seal for the most demanding conditions.
----

Answers

– Last Updated: Apr-20-07 8:30 AM EST –

I was just referring to the idea that neo deck would be too hot - probably more because that's come up in a few posts lately than yours. That was the non-urban myth part (tho' they paddle in the Chicago River so maybe a bad label...)

As to the Glacier and Trek series in Snapdragon - don't worry about the name. The bottom of the Glacier line is not heavier duty than a lot of other manufacturers' skirts.

As to exactly which model, I just looked at their current catalogue from your link above, and it appers that they have relabeled and categorized their skirts a smidge from my memory. So - forgetting the names entirely and looking at the features, I'd say choose based on the following:

Shock cord - looks like their touring skirts all have the easy-fit shock cod. So no diff there.
Deck - they have two decks, a 3.5 mill more stretchy deck (glacier) and a 4 mill more reinforced one (expedition). While I found their older lighter weight deck to wear fine as well, if I was looking to the future with more skills work in mind I'd go for the heavier duty deck. It'll tolerate dragging boats across it a bit better.
Tunnel - my personal opinion here - the breathable one with the dragon collar will snug up better than the suspenders.
Rim guard reinforcement - again for dragging boats and overall wear and tear, this can be very helpful. But in all honesty, I have to say that my one with a heavier duty deck and no rim guard reinforcement shows no wear around the edge from rescue work so far.

One other thing - I believe that Snapdragon offers a strap that runs across the front of deck sideways as an option on all of these. Get it - you'll not normally even notice it, but it gives you something that you can just slide your hand under and pull to get the skirt loose if needed. Much easier to work with thick gloves than the strap. I have it on my WW skirt, and have contemplated sening the skirt for my Explorer LV back to Snapdragon to have them add it.

One other thing with Snapdragon - expect to add a run of plastic tubing or a wiffle ball or something to the strap to give you something stiff to pull with. They tend not to set up their straps that way - I am guessing that they have found that everyone ends up doing what they prefer at home so they just provide plenty of strap to do it with.

The Glacier Treks
…are very popular in S. Florida if that tells you anything about being too hot.

Mine has the Suplex tunnel and came with a “safety off” strap, an adjustable strap that goes across the skirt that is very handy for holding water bottles and charts.

Although I sometimes open the front on the hottest days.

How about Immersion Research
I’m in Australia and am having trouble finding a U.S. store who ships snapdragons ‘Ocean trek’ skirt over here.

IR’s, Shockwave looks like a similar design with the same Supratex neoprene material plus some other nice features (shipped over here).

Anyone tried this one - price is reasonable too.

Happy to say, just got a T - 165 RM sent to sunny Queensland and am looking forward to many hours on the water.

Tony

Have you tried…
Portland River Outfitters - I have found them to be quite responsive as SnapDragon dealers, and they are at least on the right coast for you.

As to IR skirts - haven’t had one so I can’t speak to their toughness. I know that many like them.

… And the Winner “seems to be”… :slight_smile:
this one

http://www.puddledockers.com/Glacier_Expedition_p/sd-glacier-exp.htm

An instructor cuncur with your advices and he uses this one… which means you guys are on the ball!..

He say, this is just like the Glacier Trec but he like the reinforcment for durability.

No, but will check it out, thx

I think I found the one :slight_smile:
Ok Celia, I think this is the one. The only thing I am having trouble, and surprised a bit by it by the lack of information, is the size for Tempest 165. I can’t find the size for it anywhere on their website. I think the skirts come in Sm and Med only… But how do we know which fits which boats? With SEAL, you enter the Manufacturer and model of the boat and voila, your size. simple.

http://www.snapdragondesign.com/images/products/expGlacierNeoNylYel.jpg

Our Price: $140.00

An instructor I know uses this one. He says it’s like the Glacier Trek, but with additional reinforcement, for durability.

Description

The new Glacier Expedition provides a nylon tunnel with the comfort of the new Dragon Collar. When combined with the durability of the Expedition deck, the Glacier will withstand the most demanding conditions.

Features

Tunnel:

200 denier nylon

4 " neoprene band

color: black, blue, red, yellow Some colors and sizes may be special ordered - allow up to 2 weeks) - CALL

tunnel sizes:

small 20-30" waist

medium 30-40" waist

large 40-50" waist

Deck:

4mm expedition neoprene

rim guard reinforcement

extreme shock cord

color: black

deck sizes: xxs, xs, s, m, l, xl, xxl