Anyone have any super simple fish recipes for camping

I’ve considered taking a very simple fishing rig with me on multi-day trips (coastal - like out to a barrier island). Camp meals are not a big part of my trips. I am mostly happy to eat dehydrated camp meals, or heat and serve items from a can. However, I might like to try eating something I catch and am wondering if anyone here has any camp recipes to share that are very bare bones, simple, one pot and a flame type affairs. Thanks.

Catch fish
Clean fish
Dip fish in eggs
Shake in favorite breading
Fry fish
We’ve done a lot of sea trout, snook and redfish…pic is redfish

@grayhawk said:
Catch fish
Clean fish
Dip fish in eggs
Fry fish

Nice fish.

Just carry some virgin olive oil. It can be used in your pesto pasta and your black beans and rice meal anyhow. Catch fish, Fillet fish, cut into cubes and add some olive oil and cook. simple and if you don’t catch any fish, there are still uses for the oil.

string…
We were camped on Cape Romano. My friends wanted to kayak fish but I stayed behind and fished off the beach. They got skunked and were really happy to see that fish for dinner.

I went tuna fishing once, caught three cans!

1 Like

@The Nazz said:
I went tuna fishing once, caught three cans!

Who’s cans?

Years ago while camping on an island off Cedar Key I caught some sea trout but left the frying pan at home. I gutted them, cut a long, thin green branch off a palm tree, ran it through their mouth and into their tail, and cooked them like hot dogs over the fire. They were delicious.
But then again, dry meals taste good when you’re out kayak camping.

@grayhawk said:
Catch fish
Clean fish
Dip fish in eggs
Fry fish

Nice fish.

Sashimi. Bring soy sauce.

Purest, most basic recipe is to simply skewer the fish on a stick and grill over the fire. One upscale treat is to cook in sizzling hot oil with a simple, seasoned coating - from water to plate in just a very few minutes. SOoooo good. Check out ways to cook fish on my website: www.TomOutdoors.com.

1 Like

YUP…Olive oil and a little lemon pepper

Long time ago my brother and I camped around the Florida coast. I remember buying fresh fish and the woman told us to just wrap the small fish in aluminum foil, put a slice or two of lemon on it, add a little butter and throw it in your campfire. Worked great and I’m sure you could substitute olive oil for butter.

Alternatively just bring a few limes and a red onion and skip the fire. I always ordered Ceviche when we visited the keys…specifically at Snapper’s around MM91.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/ceviche/

1 Like

One useful kitchen gadget is a vacuum sealer. You will need fresh fish if you have no ice cold storage system. But the garlic, lemons, herbs, butter, olive oil, salt & pepper mix can all be mixed ahead of time and vacuum sealed. Now that I getting into kayaking I also plan on vacuum sealing spare socks, underwear, and other emergency clothing items. Vacuum sealing yields the smallest, driest packages that can then get stored in yak dry bags, even for long periods without getting all musty etc…

Sounds like a good idea PhotoMax. I’ve considered this also for parboiled and possibly dehydrated soup ingredients for fish stew. Just add water and fish, maybe a small can of tomatoes, and heat just long enough to cook the fish, rehydrate the dehydrated ingredients (e.g., corn, onion flakes), and finish off the parboiled ingredients (e.g., potatoes).

If you get a vacuum sealer then the other gizmo you must get (for the kitchen) is a sous vide cooker. They work great together…

Got the sous vide. I’ve had good results using ziploc bags, forcing the air out by lowering it into the water - kind of like removing the air from your drysuit by immersing yourself up to your neck while holding a neck or wrist gasket open enough to release air.

@Doug Gilliland said:

I have done fish on a stick over a fire also.

Came across a trout seasoning in Colorado that was excellent (can’t remember the name) and using that and oil in a pan was easy and tasty,

A favorite is cut fish fillet in cubes, dip in mustard, drop into ziplock bag containing flour or cornmeal with salt, pepper and cayenne, then fry in pan with oil.

I can never get over how wonderful FRESH fish tastes. Clean it and toss it on a grill over a slow fire. If you can get them on a fire quick, they’ll be some of the tastiest fish ever, and you don’t even need salt and pepper (it was salt water fish, so maybe salt taste was already there).

~~Chip

I know this thread is a bit old (4 years, can you believe it?), but I couldn’t resist sharing some super simple fish recipes for your camping adventures. If you’re heading to a barrier island for some coastal fun, catching your meal sounds like a blast! Here’s a no-frills recipe for you: after catching your fish, clean it up and season it with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon. If you’re up for more variety, check out americasrestaurant.com for some easy-to-follow fish recipes. They’ve got some real gems that fit your ““bare bones”” criteria. Whether you prefer pan-frying, grilling, or baking, they’ve got you covered.