Anyone tried hemp oil?

String, that sounds promising!

@Yanoer said:
String, that sounds promising!

Keeping my fingers crossed and my hip lubed.

@willowleaf said:
I may ask next time I am there if they might consider going back to cannabis (hemp or pot) farming if the state of Michigan legalizes the stuff. The stuff certainly likes that soil and weather.

Medical pot has been legal in Michigan since 2008. Recreational pot was on the November ballot and became legal in December 2018. Unsure about downstate, but up here municipalities adopted ordinances not to allow recreational pot shops.
In the city where I work, even the medical pot shops were closed down (because they were selling illegally). Most counties in the U.P. and in northern MI voted against it. There’s only one small village I know of which will allow recreational sales. I think the state legislators are still working on the various laws (and taxes) related to it.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/michigan-marijuana/growing-marijuana-in-michigan-here-s-what-to-know-about-the-law

To grow large quantities of medical pot, I think the license application fee is $6,000+ and you have to show assets of $300K to $500K.

Another problem is the restriction on banking and financial transactions due to Federal criminality of pot growing and commerce. Until we can break that impasse, it is going to be difficult for the various sectors of the industries in states where it has been de-criminalized to function effectively.

Maybe some forward-thinking member of the MI state legislature should consider offering a “grandfathered” grower preference (waiving or reducing the fees and equity requirements) to family farms whose families grew hemp/pot for the government during WW II.

Hemp oil.
Never tried it; never gonna.
I am skeptical about any real medicinal benefits.
Placebo…posssibly.
If it helps you; go for it.

BOB

P.S. I am the midwestern distributor of “Snake Oil”.
It is wonderful stuff, but very expensive. I am awaiting your order. Show me the money! :wink:

I am a world class skeptic, but it has worked for me where PT and drugs have not . It is early in the trial period.

Willowleaf I’ve been through that area many years ago. A friend of mine from Utah State came from the area there (his father was a famous professor at Michigan State. We got invited to their farm near the Cedar river for Thanksgiving in the early 80s. I particularly remember that Thanksgiving because we watched videos for a few hours on MTV with his very conservative parents, it was the first time I had ever seen MTV, his parents were excited because they had just got this marvelous installation of cable TV. I lived in Ann Arbor and Madison WI for several years doing my Ph.D. and post doc, and used to explore small towns in the countryside. One thing that really struck me was the Civil War memorials in many of the towns . The boys went off to war and fought and died together and often when the battle went badly all of the young men of a single town were killed or maimed for life. Pretty sobering,

I like cbd edibles for a back issue I’ve been dealing with. Seems to help soothe and unwind muscle cramps. I find 20-30 mg about an hour before bed does the trick. The cousin usually has cbd honey around that has been working well.

In MA cannabis is really well regulated. As long as you’re buying from a dispensary, it’s high end clean stuff, that’s grown inside and tested in a lab. They list exactly what is in it as well as the quantities.

The thc edibles are also a lot of fun, but you need a lot of time to really commit to them. They take a bit of time to kick in, about 1-2 hours, and take many hours to wear off.

https://lucefarmvt.com/shop/hemp-honey/

Consumers Reports just did an article about CBD. https://www.consumerreports.org/cbd/cbd-goes-mainstream/

@Rookie said:
Consumers Reports just did an article about CBD. https://www.consumerreports.org/cbd/cbd-goes-mainstream/
Interesting article. I was guessing that their survey would show positive benefits for about 80% of people and they say just under 75%. I’m surprised that they talked about anxiety more than muscle pain although I’m not surprised that it helps with anxiety. My wife’s friend has seizures and she has almost completely eliminated her need for prescription meds through products with THC as well as CBD. Given the opioid crisis in this country I hope that more people with chronic pain get access to these products. I’ve had surgery more than once and I hate hate hate opioids even though they work for pain.

@TomL said:

@Rookie said:
Interesting article. I was guessing that their survey would show positive benefits for about 80% of people and they say just under 75%. I’m surprised that they talked about anxiety more than muscle pain although I’m not surprised that it helps with anxiety. My wife’s friend has seizures and she has almost completely eliminated her need for prescription meds through products with THC as well as CBD. Given the opioid crisis in this country I hope that more people with chronic pain get access to these products. I’ve had surgery more than once and I hate hate hate opioids even though they work for pain.

Ditto. I’ve had 3 back surgeries and this is the least intrusive pain relief I’ve found.

One of my brother in laws has started using CBD oil for his back ( arthritis). A close biking friend has used it for over a year and kept telling him to try it. He said it seems to help so far.

@willowleaf said:
SeaDart: Uncle Dick’s farm is near Williamston, **On this note, HEMP, used for fibers, and oils has no psychoactive properties, so lighting one up probably did nothing

@Mazer said:

@willowleaf said:
SeaDart: Uncle Dick’s farm is near Williamston, **On this note, HEMP, used for fibers, and oils has no psychoactive properties, so lighting one up probably did nothing

Except pollute your lungs.

I was rubbin’ some hemp oil on my spasmatic arm,
a post-40-love hate elbow thinkin’ it serve me up no harm.
My D-M-S-O had run out, my flexion takin’ to bad humours,
The Icy Hot it served for rot, a bad senior moment with Absorbine Junior.

Four or five minutes to settle in I gave to work it’s magic,
Ladies and Gents what happened next wrote me a chapter in the tragic.
Maybe not quite Shakespeare, although I deployed his Ugly Stick,
which as I took from its bow holder I unknowingly discharged an oil slick.

Well I had me no idea I dumped that bottle overboard,
with a cap not firmly tightened so a medicinal now seaward toured,
all them fishes ’ bout my hull began to bubble out their giggles.
Why even worm retrieved on hook seemed to put forth extra wiggles.

My funny bone now extra spry I arched my Ugly Stick in cast,
Mr. Wiggles rocketed forth like a ball from cannon blast.
200 yards of mono-ply on the fly at sonic speed.
550-foot overshot from normal grasp now my reach it did exceed.

So that hole of them big lunkers well-oiled flick had overshot,
took Mr. Wiggles to strange places where quickly all just went to pot.
Seems my worm hooked up with Ogla’s bikinied backside in a spoon,
with her boyfriend Vlad Sikjokov sunning on deck of rental pontoon.

Well I believe good ole Clint said man’s gotta know his limitations,
but when he’s high and hemped-up mighty he’s bound to misjudge situations.
And thus it came to pass I’s made an ass in bass mistook,
hitting bottom when Olga’s Oleg Cassini succumbed to my set hook.

Here’s where the situation seemed to really get un-reel (SIC SIC),
as Mr. Wiggles came on back addin’ bottom dollar to my creel,
and an Olga in uprising point and cursed like crazed ghost sailor,
though when he rose to me oppose I saw it’s Vlad that was him paler.

Now I set to skidaddlin’’ for rental Rooskies rolled roulette,
for when Vlad went overboard and swam towards me there was fret,
but in the midst of all his splashin’ he had gulped in oily wake,
and mad Vlad became quite glad and set to synchronized swimmin’ with schooled hake.

So in jumps angry Olga, takes a gulp and now she’s smilin’,
meanwhile to the surface happy sturgeon they are filin’.
Esther Williams could’ve joined them, perhaps Ray Bolger and Bert Lahr,
an R-rated Vlad and Olga Go to Ozlantis aquatic dance with caviar.

Now next time I take to sea to do my madly casted fishing,
no mistake when arm does ache will I’ll make by oil swishing.
instead I shall apply healthy dollop of Grey Poupon,
and leave cannaboid Bolshoi Bass Ballet to thems others far more gone.

Epic, CWDH, just epic!

Merci Madame de Michigan Guide.
May your tracks across Big Mac always lack those crosswind crimes.

CWD, you have certainly waxed poetic .

Another CBD note. I spent a short time yesterday in an awkward position.
I was scrubbing a shower on hands and knees and had a lower back spasm that put me down hard. I couldn’t stand up and could barely roll over in bed.
I iced it and hit it with heat an hour later.
Last night my wife rubbed it down with the CBD salve. This morning the pain is a slight inconvenience.
FWIW, no direct cause and effect but this wasn’t my first , or 20th back incident. The recovery was quicker than usual.