Are we able to cook on a sit inside kayak

I am wondering if we can use a sit inside kayak for cooking while on the ocean.

I am also new to the group

Thank yuh I for your answers

Sometimes it’s hard to light the charcoal…

3 Likes

Thanks I’m trying to find videos with people cooking on a sit inside but mostly just sit on top

Plastic burns bright and smoky so rescue should be quick.

3 Likes

You’d probably need a large expedition type kayak to be stable enough for it. Ed Gillet spent 2 months in a kayak paddling from California to Hawaii and he cooked on a backpacking stove. He had a standard commercially available kayak (not a custom one) although it was a large tandem.

Solar microwave is safest.

Thanks but I would be cooking fish from the ocean

You’re just going to need a bigger boat

What do you plan to catch in the ocean that would fit on a stove inside the cockpit? Even a lobster is not going to fit inside the pot.
This seems a silly idea to me unless you provide a lot more info about your own skills.

Can you? Sure! Should you? Only in the most unusual circumstances.

2 Likes

Only small bluefish Tuna Salmon nothing to big

1 Like

The only thing I would “cook” in a kayak would be an MRE with the heater pouch (no flame). Even with this, I’d prefer to do it on land. Any cooking involving a flame, your safest and best option would absolutely be to head to shore and cook on land.

COULD you use a stove in a kayak? Probably.
SHOULD you use a stove in a kayak? Probably not.

Assess the risks of doing it, the flammability of your kayak and your clothing. Let us know how you decide and how you make out with it.

fire-marshall-bill-on-fire

1 Like

I am outta here…

2 Likes

So in my cockpit I have all my fishing gear, cutting board, fillet knife, descaler, stove, fuel, utensils, olive oil or butter, fresh lemon, salt & pepper, fresh herbs, garlic, shallot and nice bottle of wine, probably a dry Riesling for me but maybe a red or rose if the mood strikes and depending on the catch, and a glass. Then, for side dishes…

Ed Gillet also is not an ordinary human. He probably kept that stove upright by pure force of will.

1 Like

Aye it is possible with a small mounted camping stove and calm conditions ( google for Ed Gillet), but you should first put your butt in a kayak and get a few years experience before doing any kind of crossing or coast paddle where you would need to cook.

52, I was thinking about a solar panel and a small Induction Hot Plate? Only problem is you need a steel or cast iron pot… That’s a lot of extra weight to haul around…

1 Like

I suggest sushi… :wink:

7 Likes

It will be hard to get a real sense of this from the pic (which is just a training run we practiced along shore) but you may get the idea…we cooked on the floor of our voyager canoe during the Yukon1000 canoe race. Small backpacking stove with a stable base and secure fitting pots with lids. We had a heat resistant tray under as added measure… All of our meals were dried ahead so it was mostly just a rehydrate process. One person had cooking duties twice a day while the rest of us paddled on. All of our cooking for the race (which took 7 days) was done on the water

We were approached by a First Nation boat during the race near the Yukon Charley preserve that offered us a salmon from their wheel and were disappointed to have to refuse, not having a way to prepare such a large fish and without attracting other “residents” when we stopped for the night….

7 Likes

Well if you have a wood strip kayak, will have plenty of fuel for a couple of meals. But seriously, check out a MSR canister stove like a pocket rocket or reactor, the canister will actually get cold during use, and since the canister is on the bottom for those stoves you do not have to worry about it heating the bottom of the kayak. The reactor also has a built in heat/wind shield. But those stoves are hot, if the stove or pot touches your leg it is going to be a severe burn. Maybe have a fabric heat shield to go around the stove and pot and between them and your legs.