Au revoir summer

Last week of summer in Northern Michigan was quite spectacular, except for one storm that closed down part of a road I use to a launch site. Those are good sized rocks Lake Michigan tossed over the rip rap. Warm, sunny and breezy yesterday, but today Mom Nature gave us a parting raspberry: over 2.5" of rain.

Au revoir summer, but fall is my favorite time to paddle!

It was 64 degrees outside the trailer this morning in the Florida panhandle.

Thank goodness it won’t reach 90 the rest of the week…
Soon the fun begins…

I had leaves catching on my bow yesterday and I swear the turtles seem more reluctant to jump off the logs and abandon their place in the sun.

@Overstreet said:
It was 64 degrees outside the trailer this morning in the Florida panhandle.

Saturday was the first day I’ve paddled in short sleeves this year (85F and UV index much lower). First and only day as the air temp is 57F right now.

Landscape just starting to develop the badges of autumn.

I’m loving the slightly cooler weather! It’s great to paddle on the river (or, “rivah” as they sometimes say here in Virginia! LOL…)

Fishing in my Cayman 124 SOT kayak…

Isn’t this beautiful? The river is like glass! :smiley:

Every day- Up here in the NC high country ; 52 in the morning with a fire in the fire place and 81 in the afternoon with the window AC units on

Hey Butch A, nice to see that Mitchell reel in use! Love the distinct sound they make. I have several 300’s and a few other models for parts. I can almost rebuild one blindfolded.

Hi Andy,

Thanks… I’m 100% “old school” when it comes to fishing. I have all vintage stuff from my dad, and cherish all the memories of fishing with him since I was a little kid. I was using his late 60’s/early 70’s Garcia Kingfisher light action rod along with my equally old Mitchell 304 reel that he gave me back in the day.

I just did a little yard work and am not sweat soaked. Must be fall.

going in the pool to sklm leaves. So cold my toes hurt on Sunday, but near tolerable yesterday and today, if you have a habit of falling out of canoes in december, in New England.

Summer just won’t quit here in the NC piedmont. They’re forecasting 96 for Oct 2nd and 98 for Oct 3. I shouldn’t complain. Montana is getting 3 feet of snow.

Those homes look like they aren’t much higher than the lake!

@pikabike said:
Those homes look like they aren’t much higher than the lake!

All are summer homes; most have large expanses of lawn on the other side of the road. Even so, waves and wind can make things quite messy. All bets off if the water continues to rise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYqkyIj2Elw

Not so bad. We see a lot where the boat and docks are in the yard across the road down the next block.

@Overstreet said:
Not so bad. We see a lot where the boat and docks are in the yard across the road down the next block.

True, but the Great Lakes aren’t in a hurricane zone thank goodness.

@Rookie said:

@Overstreet said:

True, but the Great Lakes aren’t in a hurricane zone thank goodness.

But you have freeze up and thunder storms, and docks designed to be removed from the water in the fall. In Chicago, I have seen waves inside the breakwater breaking over the sidewalk. You don’t need a hurricane for major damage , but it helps. (helps?)

Note that the dock in front of the boat in Rookies picture has been removed from the water. Which is likely why things look better. Our water would just corrode that dock into pieces on a calm day. Corrosion and wood bores likely account for most of our dock damage.

I said goodbye to summer this AM. It’s a bit over 50 degrees, cloudy and raw with NE wind off the ocean. I had on my biking tights and a fleece jacket on the ride in and still felt cold. Probably because I was surfing in 75 plus degrees on a dawn patrol yesterday… a 25 degree shift in one day. :neutral:

sing

99 and sunny here.