Avocet, Capella, Romany

I like the Capella as a great all around
boat. I have the RM 166. I am 6’0",180lbs, with a size 10.5 foot. I have had it out in limited surf, 3-4 footers and it handles very well. It also tracks well for the design. What I like most about it is the strength of the hull versus other plastic boats. It is my choice for an all around boat that will get scratched now and then on rocks or beach launchings.

I have a CD Solstice GTS which is my boat of choice for speed, tracking, and trips.

Jim

give them a spin
Yeah, that sure would be easier. :wink: I could test 3 for 1/2 the cost of a dry suit. www.MEC.ca didn’t think they would be ordering the Scorpio LV but they have the Capella 160, 166 and Scorpio. No questions asked returns even on special orders too. Maybe I’ll start ordering Nigel Fosters till I find one I like, apparently this would be fine by them!

local dealer
claims to sell Necky, CD, Riot, Perception, Ocean Kayak, WS and Delta. He pushes Delta and has a many CD rudder boats, no brit/greenland. The rest are there in more or less in name only, WS Pungo or 2. Only one exception I learned about today, there’s a story for another day.

I was interested in the Chatham, spoke to two necky dealers. Both have comp Lookshas on order but no Chathams. Chatham is the only necky boat I have any interest in.

Avocet “froggy leg position”! I get that exactly and I don’t like it. “The Capella 161 has a straighter and more erect run to the thigh braces” sounds better to me. Also suggested I may be a tad tall for the Avocet. Interesting remarks, thanks

confused here

I was under the impression the Capella’s were bigger in the cockpit area then the Avocet. See tvcrider’s comments above, for example.

Avocet-Romany-Tempest 165

– Last Updated: Oct-22-08 8:27 AM EST –

I recently test paddled and narrowed down my choice to these three, but in composite. For the best trade-off of good tracking and turning, I liked the Tempest best. Leaking Kayak sport hatches killed that choice. I liked the Romany best for feeling like I could edge it immensely and control it best. But a mediocre looking layup and poor seat killed that choice. While I felt the Avocet was fairly comparable to these two but did not boast anything particularly special, I ended up buying that boat because the Valley layup, hatches, and seat were perfect for me. I wouldn't mind having all three though.

depends
Cap 160 RM does not feel that roomy. Judging by the skirt, cockpit is comparable to Avocet. I think the seat contributes to the difference - my Avocet has foam seat, really low profile. Capella has raised seat + seat pad. The front edge is raised as well. Would be interesting to try foam seat in the Capella.

Capella 166 RM definitely has bigger cockpit than Avocet.

I have a Capella RM165, a Foster Shadow
and I used to own a CD Gulfstream. I find that the Capella is an extremely stable boat in rough water that is extremely maneuverable and with a little skeg will track like it’s on rails.

It surfs and handles following seas much better than the Gulfstream but not as well as the Foster. The Capella is faster than the Gulfstream but not as fast as the Shadow. Comfort is relative in all three as they are all comfortable boats but different. If you like the Capella, go for it.

Unsure?

– Last Updated: Oct-22-08 10:55 AM EST –

I demoed the Capella 160 RM twice last year, so I have put some time in it.

The cockpit opening of the P&H 160 RM is larger than that of the Avocet RM. The foredeck is also higher than the Avocet's. I had to put my knees in quite a splayed position to reach the knee/thigh hooks.

Yes, the Capella's seat might have been a contributing factor. I would nearly come out of the boat when rolling it I had great trouble maintaining 5 points of contact. I was offered very competitive price on the 160 RM, but I opted for the much better fit (for me) of the Avocet RM.

Sidebar: The individual who eventually purchased the 160 RM tried to sell the boat after using it for just a month. Asking price was $699! They found the cockpit too large.

bizzare
I’ll have to try sitting in Cap 160RM to refresh my memories. Was this a newer model?

Yep, 2006

– Last Updated: Oct-22-08 4:37 PM EST –

I just dug out the sales offer from the EMS store manager (Model Year: 2006). The second 160 RM I demoed was also a 2006.

I believe someone did tell me that the newer 160 RM is a bit different than the original poly Capella (i.e. larger cockpit). I think the initial plastic Capella called the Capella RM (no number).

One overall issue with the 'Capella' is which model do you have? Six or seven years ago P&H simply called the boat 'the Capella'. P&H has repeated tweaked the original hull quite a bit, creating a host of variants. Your 'Capella' may very well not be the same as the two I demoed. Sort of like comparing the proverbial apples and oranges. ;-)

seat placement and "stuff"
djlewis & bignate, Thanks for your sound advice, I know I should “paddle the boat” , but I was hoping I might get away with skipping that step by limiting my choices to somewhat legendary boats. It’s looking more and more like that’s a very poor idea. :frowning:

suiram, I understand that Mariner’s boats had a seat that could be adjusted back and forth while underway. Seems like a very smart idea to me, I suppose that if the seat and back are separate that might be a problem. I understand Sterling’s Kayaks seats are velcroed to the hull and are adjustable back and forth but not while underway, nice idea but I doubt velcro would stick to a poly hull.

who knows
There are some new epoxies that are promised to stick to anything.

http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/25/pdf/G-flex_Epoxy.pdf

Capella
I’m about your size, and the Capella RM was just about the perfect boat. Somehow (probably reading this board) I got the silly idea I just had to have a fiberglass boat, and have owned a Capella 163 for about two years. It is a great boat, but for the type of trips I do along the Texas gulf coast, I could have saved a bunch of money and been perfectly happy with the RM.

Valley and NDK are excellent boats, I could have bought any of the three, the Capella just fit a little better.

size
size will determine a lot given your height. Avocet may be tight. Capellas come in a few different sizes…may be a good bet.

I like the fit of the Romany S…I am only 5’8 but weigh 200 pounds so my thighs are a bit bigger.

Your weight says you are pretty slender, but have some pretty long legs.

I think fit will be the most important factor for you.

Matt

Tempest 165
I am glad Martin mentioned the Tempest. I have a Tempest 165 RM and love it. I am 5’11" 180 lbs. It is a little tight, but I like it that way. You should fit well at 165 lbs. I don’t think your leg length will be an issue. My shoe size is 11. I heard once that the Tempest was based on the Romany, but I am not certain about that. Wilderness Systems is owned by Confluence which sells a bunch of kayaks in the USA.

Tom

And many others

– Last Updated: Oct-30-08 1:13 PM EST –

The Tempest 165 was certainly influenced by the Romany, but it is no copy. It was also influenced by a number of other boats...

Most 'Brit Style' day boats have been influenced by the Romany in some way - even though the North Shore Shoreline was the first 16' British day boat. (The Shoreline is still in production in the UK while its manifestation on this side of the pond has been the Impex Montauk.)

Montauk

– Last Updated: Oct-30-08 4:00 PM EST –

I don't remember if we discussed this on our last paddle, but the Montauk seems to be infrequently mentioned as a choice in the 16 foot boat post discussions. It's been a while since I've owned one and can't recall all of it's feel vs. 16 footers I've recently paddled. (I don't recall its edging characxteristics to be as nice as the Romany or Avocet). It might be that its genes of the older North Shore design are missing some of the nice attributes of the Romany-Tempest-Avocet designs, although offering Impex quality.

Point 65 North plastic hulls?
Do you have any input on the Point 65 North plastic hulls like the Crunch Rocker as to if and where they might fit in on this discussion? You have had them in your fleet as well and didn’t know if they also would fit in the paddling niche being discussed.

http://www.point65.com/Default.asp?page=kayaks&kayak=17

OP
For what it’s worth this is my experience with the two boats. I have owned a Capella 166 RM for about four years and my regular paddling partner paddles an Avocet RM, which I’ve paddled and surfed several times. I’m 5’8”, 200lbs, he is well over 6’ and thin, the Avocet fits both of us but is much tighter on me than my Capella. There is definitely more room in the cockpit in the Capella. I think the two boats are almost in different categories and don’t necessarily belong on the same list. The Capella tracks better and is faster in a straight line than the Avocet. The Capella does not turn as quickly as the Avocet. The Avocet surfs better than the Capella. I have not paddled the Avocet in big seas but the Capella is rock solid in big conditions. They are both very well built to the point of being almost bombproof. To sum it up, the Avocet seems much more like a play-boat for surfing and playing in the rocks. The Capella is more of a touring type boat for longer, straight trips out on the ocean. If I was into distance touring I’d get the Capella. If you want a high performance sports-car type to surf and play in the rocks I’d get the Avocet. If I needed one boat to “do it all” I’d get the Capella (I did).

cd1, Sunr TL, BM & tarw
cd1, Excellent reviews, thanks for putting in the effort! I appreciate your “G’luck, friend.” I need both!

Sunriver, My name is Ed so there is a symmetry there I like. Very difficult for me to demo Eddyline and I think I’m best with poly for the first “good all round” yak. They were on my long list, sure wouldn’t pass up a reasonable chance to get my butt in one!

tinalouise, “He’s about your size, pretty tall and skinny!!!” My wife is an avid reader. One day I notice a book titled “Eats, Shoots and Leaves” . My wife is great but still I was concerned enough about my status around the house for the next few days to investigate further. :wink: Turns out the book was about misuse of punctuation, the title was taken from a dictionary description of a Koala bear. I’m sure you didn’t mean pretty, tall and skinny.

brianmeyer & tarwheel, Thanks for your replies. If I expand my list by two boats it includes the Aquanaut (LV) and Scorpio (LV). From replies here and other threads the Scorpio seems like a home run and it’s a boat 4 hours away I can demo. Nearest Aquanaut I found is about 4500 miles round trip. :frowning: