Bic sit-on-tops.....

I’m always curious about SOTs, although I doubt I’ll get one, since I can’t sit long with my legs straight out. But I have wondered about the Bics, for which I see ads in Canoe & Kayak. They don’t respond to Emails, and I can’t find anything in P.net archives. Has anyone here actually seen/touched/paddled a Bic, and what’s your evaluation? Thanks.

The most recent issue of Canoe and Kayak
reviews a Bic SOT. Hmmm, wonder if their kayak slogan is “Flip your Bic”?

topkayaker.net has reviewed a

– Last Updated: Jun-20-05 10:40 AM EST –

couple of the Bics and has plans to review the Scapa this summer.

BTW you don't necessarily paddle a SOT with your legs straight out. I paddle both of my SOT with a pretty large bend in my knees - considerably more than I am able to attain in a Sit Inside.

Interesting…
…how does it compare to sitting in a canoe? One reason I went to canoes was the more chairlike posture. Thanks.

I Talked To The Factory Rep
I was curious about the ad in the magazine. The specs seemed good. Not so sure the design appeals to me, really.

There are two models of Scarpa. The currently available one is about 14’ and weights maybe 50#.

A new unltralight model, not yet available in the US, will be 14’9" and reportly will weigh like 44#. The weight specs have varied greatly has the boat was developed. It should be here soon.

I am always skeptical about listed weights…Sometimes they are wayyyy off. I would like to know if they are accurate.

Wait until Tom reviews the Scarpas. He has used every type of SOT and I would rely on his review.

review online
The Canoe & Kayak review is online at

http://canoekayak.com/whatto/sitontops/

waterprrof lighter
Don’t they get hard to light after being wet?

Two different things really, but I’m no
expert - most of my canoeing days were more than 20 years ago and most of the canoes I used didn’t have seats - you knealt and rested your butt on the thwart bar.

To me sitting on a canoe seat seems like sitting on a low stool while sitting on a SOT kayak is like sitting on the floor with a back rest and seat pad. The length and design of the SOT cockpit and placement of foot pegs along with personal preference determins the amount of knee bend. For what it’s worth, I have a 33" inseam and could not straighten my legs in either of my two SOTs (a Nomad & a Shearwater, both by Heritage) even if I wanted to.

First ball points
then lighters, now kayaks, whats next? I can hardly wait for the “new XR7 bic-mobile” :slight_smile:

funny thing
I was talking to a guy a week or so ago, and he said that he tried one of the bic boats. He said that it wasn’t what he wanted, so he just took it back. If yu think about it, he did just what we all wanted to do when we got our first (really stable) yak. We traded it in on a better (for us) model.

I say…Try it, and if it is not what you really want, take it back. They usually have the bic’s in larger chain type stores that can handle the return, so go for it.

No need to keep legs straight out
SOTs come with fittings that allow different leg lengths. Some have tracks and footpegs just like SINKS have; others have molded-in indents that are part of the inner hull. I’ve never had to paddle any SOT with my legs straight out, and I am short.

REI, I’ve just learned…
…has both models of the Scapa on their website.

Interesting concept
An SOT converitble to a SIK.

http://www.bicsportkayaks.com/kayaks/index.php?topic=scapa&lang=us#

I have seen a couple different models
and wouldn’t even bother with a test paddle let alone a purchase of either one.

They are your basic, what I consider ridiculous french design and construction. Im really not sure they are of french design or manufacture but they are ridiculous and look to me as if they wouldn’t hold up a season before the seams seperated, the glued on padding falls off and you cut yourself on the sharp edges.

Brian

SoFlo

They look like great hull shapes.
Do you have any information on the molds seperating or other flaws? Any links to these occurrences?

To answer your question, since I own
and paddle both canoes and a SOT, the SOT is not as comfortable as a canoe, but is not nearly as uncomfortable as a SINK. You can move and stretch in a SOT.I can paddle mine for 2-4 hours without too much discomfort. I am good in a SINK for about 30 minutes.

Who’s questions are you answering?
Mine or the original? You rode my post.

Tap’s

Not Really Convertible
I am a die hard SOT guy, but a SINK handles differently from a SOT, and putting a cover on it will not change that.

As far as extra protection from the elements, you should be dressed for emersion, anyway, so…

Just my thoughts
Time will. I just think you would do better with Ocean Kayak, Malibu, Old Town, Wilderness systems or one of the many other available manufacturers.

I believe www.fullmoonkayak.com has one for sale, possibly the Scapa if you want to purchase a used one.

Brian

Soflo