Binos and kayaking

Well, they just don’t give a steady picture, but my issue here is how to clean them after being exposed to sea water… I’m just cleaning them in soapy water and leave them dry. Not exactly what the birders do, but they are not exposed to the same harsh conditions.

As for the steadiness, I plan to get stabilized binos in the near future.

I associate that term with gas.

They have some gas
but that doesn’t present any problem for cleaning.

I guess few kayakers use them while on the kayak. I do, but only when I get to my destination.

binos?
I am probably going to regret this, but what are they?

And, please, use it in a sentence.

Binoculars
I am guessing that is what the OP is referring to as “binos”.

Not sure about sea water
As I only really paddle fresh water, but I clean them with clean water and some lens cleaner.

As far as getting a more steady image, try wearing a brimmed hat and holding the binoculars to the hat brim. It is probably as effective as the image stabilized ones (although you can use the same technique with them to improve performance too).

wider field of view
To make unsteadiness less of a problem, get binoculars with a wider field of view. The first number in a binocular rating is magnification, and the second number relates to the field of view. Many compact binocs have the same magnification, but a much narrower field of view than typical full-size binoculars. That makes it very hard to keep something in view if it, or you, are moving. Something like an 8x50 will be much easier to use on a boat than something like an 8x30.

Steadiness trick
My first trick is to have 6x glasses. Much less jittery than higher magnifications.

The second trick is one someone here suggested. If you paddle a kayak, and have a bouyant paddle, slide it out and use it as an outrigger. Steady the binos on the inboard blade. This also works with a bouyant canoe paddle.

Jim

Magnification
Difficulty in holding a stable image correlates directly to the magnification, not field of view. 6X is easier than 8X is easier than 10X and so on.

Although many of the compact binoculars do indeed have small fields of view, it does not always correspond to the size of the objective lens. My 10x30’s have a FOV of 360’; my husband’s 10x42’s are 306’.

Oh, among the knowledgeable people
binos mean binoculars. Not that I have that much knowledge but they use that name.

A simple Google search shows 493,000 hits. :wink:

Pressing them against the brim
of the hat sounds kind of neat. I hope it works, keep you posted.

Well, I have 7x50 marine binos and
I have to check their field of view. I don’t use them that much though because of their bulk.

OK, but how do you clean
the binoculars, guys. The method of soapy water is the one I use everytime for my regular glasses, and leaves no visible film or scratches. But that’s taboo among the binocular pros (who may not have waterproof binos after all). I have the kit too, but it’s a pain to first blow off the particles and then apply the cleaning stuff and clean it up with the special flannel.

As for the jittering, I’m afraid the only solution is to buy stabilized binoculars.

Water
Water is all I’ve used so far on the pairs of waterproof binos I own. They weren’t all that expensive, so if I shorten their life from 50 years to 30, I might replace them once in my lifetime, instead of never.

I avoid soap for any lenses
Rinsing in distilled water usually cleans pretty well. If not, I use premoistened lens wipes (Zeiss and Nikon make them), BLOTTING not wiping. If you wipe hard, sometimes glass coatings (antiglare coatings) will be scratched or otherwise ruined.

Bins
As a birder, I see the term “bins” used for binoculars. Have never seen the term “binos”…

For cleaning off salt, I use lens cleaner and a lens cloth, after rinsing with tap water.

Alan

a rant
I understand that some people might have difficulties with such complicated words as “nuclear”, “binoculars”, “latitude” in the spoken English. That is not an excuse for written language.

Anyways, I always enjoyed Mark Twain’s commentary on spelling

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling

by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter “c” would be dropped to be replased either by “k” or “s”, and likewise “x” would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which “c” would be retained would be the “ch” formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform “w” spelling, so that “which” and “one” would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish “y” replasing it with “i” and Iear 4 might fiks the “g/j” anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez “c”, “y” and “x” – bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez – tu riplais “ch”, “sh”, and “th” rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

http://www.design.caltech.edu/erik/Misc/Twain_english.html

Plain water
is waht I use to rinse the salt off my Rangers. No soaps or solvents. Then clean with a lens cleaner.

Jim

and yet
I can still read Twains work with the missing letters

Binos, bins, binocs
and other shorter forms of the word binoculars would make sense in a world of Newspeak language as defined by Orwell… :wink:

‘Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suits the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim is to make any alternative thinking — “thoughtcrime”, or “crimethink” in the newest edition of Newspeak… One character says admiringly of the shrinking volume of the new dictionary: “It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”’