Boats on cars - let’s see ‘em!

The liquid also lists “mineral abrasive” as an ingredient, same as the powder. So, be careful with either.

Right after a paddle at Tomales Bay

2 Likes

2 Likes

Outfitting new ride for all paddling needs

6 Likes

I just saw your picture and found the website. Looks interesting. We have a Luna Rover travel trailer that we plan to put a kayak rack on.

1 Like

Test fit complete. Yes you can fit 4 kayaks on a van and not move the AC unit.

3 Likes

A family!

1 Like

Lettmann Akaroa MV on a 2000 Mazda 626. The boat is more valuable than the car. As is the way.

11 Likes

Guest boats on the car and ready for a leisurely paddle with out of town visitors.

Good company. Mahalo!

sing

3 Likes

What a gorgeous boat! And that Mazda isn’t bad lookin’ either :star_struck:

New car went on its first real road trip evacuating from Ian. Brought the Mirage and the Tiderace of course!

5 Likes

Took my kayaks sightseeing in the Smokey Mountains of NC.

Fontana Dam

Blue Ridge Parkway Overlook

Tsali Lake Fontana

Clingman’s Dome

Fontana Village Area

7 Likes

We need rain.

I once had a car where the stereo was more valuable than the car, and it wasn’t a real high end stereo!

2 Likes

Take home pic of my new-to-me Capella! Malone Sea Wings on the factory crossbars made by Thule.

4 Likes

In my 20’s I had a 1970 3-on-the-tree Ford Maverick rust bucket that cost me more for a new battery than I paid for the car!

Saw your observation on “boat is more valuable than the car” right after I had calculated the value of what is now a 12 boat fleet in my garage. The collection grew after I was persuaded to “rescue” a raggedy vintage (museum-worthy ?) Inuit replica SOF at the Delmarva Paddlers’ Retreat last weekend. Can’t post “boats on car” visual of that acquisition since I hauled it and my salvaged Perception Avatar tucked inside the box truck camper – the SOF is over 17’ and extended into the cab between the seats so I jammed the bow under the dashboard and lashed the kayak around the passenger seat with a Thule strap to keep it from drifting into the driver zone during the 7 hour drive. Should have documented that Rube Goldberg arrangement.

Anyway, adding up the “replacement value” of the solo canoe and 11 kayaks adds up to more than I paid for my car when it was new: boats = $22,300, car = $20,700. Car is presently worth $9600 (KBB) but I only paid $7,980 for all the boats (all were used or on sale for deep discounts.) Ignoring the fact that I also paid $20,000 to build the huge garage to house the hoard (shouldn’t count since that added substantially to my property value), I think I did pretty well to pay an average of $665 each for the watercraft, about a third of their average list prices. And I do plan to sell off or donate at least 4 of them by next summer.

Please forgive my number-crunching geekishness – spent my final 10 years on the cubeland hamster wheel as a construction engineering “cost analyst” (not by choice).

Evidence of the hoard below. There are two Feathercraft touring kayaks in the black duffel bags and my basement still has 4 Pakboat folders stashed on shelves.

Maybe some day I will experiment and see how many boats I can haul at once. I think if I put the two 18 footers on the kayak trailer and stack the 4 other rigid boats and 6 packed down folders inside the camper I could transport the armada in one “clown car” fell swoop!

6 Likes

Room for more!

3 Likes

How it all began. Started out with this old coleman and land yachts. The first of many canoes and kayaks. The canoe and car were pretty much indestructible.

5 Likes

That describes most of cars I’ve owned over the years.

1 Like

You can add a second layer. Most of mine are stored suspended from the ceiling to not take up floor space. I need a second garage.