Boats on cars - let’s see ‘em!

Some body else’s yaks on some other car…

1 Like

Canoe on dog transportation van…ready for 4 days in the Okefenokee swamp (without the rain)…

2 Likes

In order to be able to make the clearances and avoid the over-height surcharge we flip the boats upside down and then flip them back over once we are off the ferry.

8 Likes

One of my ultralight solo canoes, PBW Spitfire (18 lbs, 12 ft), Yakima system, with Jetstream crossbars and KeelOvers, NRS straps. St. Johns River, Florida.
Hyundai Elantra, 2015.

3 Likes

Wow. I wouldn’t have gotten close to that one. Kept slowing down behind this one.

truck

2 Likes

Here is another truck with a nicer load. This was effective but to put the boats up there we had to climb up in the truck. The new truck was taller. That Port St Joe is a nice quiet country place to paddle.

So we Hulivatored it…

2 Likes

Étaín 17.3 on 2013 Forester. No stern tie-down despite 0.7 mile drive at 22.6 mph to Sandpoint’s City Beach:

I’m one of those rare weirdos who hauls their kayaks upside down. 18’ Greenland skin on frame and 15’ Venture Easky on a Mazda CX5, just before a 1300 mile round trip from Pittsburgh to Qajaq Training Camp in Michigan. Thule bars and straps with 4 mm perlon bow and stern lines (latter fastened to class 3 trailer hitch).

1 Like

Epic on a Forester, custom rack.

Do oldies count? Phoenix Appalachian and Clearwater Whitewater on a Plymouth Arrow, K-Mart rack from back in the days of rain gutters.

Uh, do boats on boats count?

4 Likes

Matching P&H Cetus on a Volkswagon Alltrack. Love that low roof.

1 Like

1 Like

Added bow/stern lines before we hit the road. Have to use a stepstool to get them up there!

1 Like

back in the day…I always seemed to be the “go to” guy for shuttling. Worked well, though, as a few regulars had vans to haul people.

7 Likes

Hey, someone has to be the buddy with a truck

1 Like

Placid Boatworks Spitfire and Rapidfire on the Escape. Just waiting to switch my rack and boats over to the Bronco Sport when it arrives. (Yakima Racks since the early '80s)

3 Likes

Necky, Prijon and CD going to the lake.

1 Like

Loaded down at Goose Pasture

2 Likes

Sherpa duty on Bear Creek

1 Like

Pics below using the Mitsubishi ‘factory’ rack, which is made by Thule. I chose the model that bolts directly to the roof instead of the sliding rails.

Boreal Design Baffin P2 in Swagman Aero Exo cradles:

Eddyline Raven on Great Lakes Kayak Wings:

Couple of inflatable SUPs in an Inno 445:

3 Likes

I forgot about this one!

1 Like