Bought the OI!

Keel strip
You may want to use the boat for a season before

doing a keel strip but here is a link for instructions.

http://atlantickayaktours.com/pages/expertcenter/repairs/keelstrip/Keel-Strip-1.shtml

Also SK magazine has an article on keel strips online from about 1 1/2 years ago.

I did it on two of my boats with no problem.

It’s good to have a sacrificial strip to wear off first.

Bert

dings
shudder…yeah I know. I will get over it soon I guess.

This boat ain’t gonna see any caves or rock gardens. At least not yet. While I have been increasingly successful in turning the boat in shorter and shorter radiuses in the last couple of days, I still don’t have the skill level to feel comfortable with quick maneuvering. I will use the Tempest (plastic 170) for that! While I don’t want to beat it up, I can turn it faster and the quick maneuverability is there. At least for now.

The OI is a rolling machine, (which surprisingly I did not really get it for) and a long distance fast tourer which is very very well mannered in waves (what I really bought it for)

I figure I have a good solid foundation finally. The SOF for dedicated Greenland maneuvers and rolling, the OI for fast touring, the Tempest for play and maneuverability, camping and a loaner boat, and the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro for fishing, and surfing, and play.

Life is good.

Paul

Not a bad transition at all.
Felt even more comfortable than the tempest in waves but many many similarities. Tempest owners would be very very comfortable in this boat.

Paul

paddle and other reentries
I have had an Impex OI (carbon-kevlar), 3rd generation (current) configuration for a year now. For everything but rock play it is a very very sweet boat. Of course it shows Jay Babina’s patience, perserverence, and smarts in boat design. Very efficient, high top end, very low windage, and neutral linear handling. Although a definite slow turner, it inspires confidence in big condtions.

I have had it in 5 foot waves with 6 foot swells rock solid.

Regardidng reentries, the very very low volume and low rear deck make ALL reentries straight forward and easy. The rigging works for a paddle reentry, but I would strengthen it with a heavier cord, imo.

There is little reason to need a paddle float though as rolling, sculling and wet reentries are so easy. The cockpit is small volume and if you add a foam seat and foam foot rests on the front bulkhead, even less water to pump out.

Enjoy your boat on those very windy days as the low windage won’t push you around while it does some of your buddies.

Evan

rapid runner pics
Hi Evan,

Did you ever get a chance to post pics of the RR pump installation? Have one on order for my OI–apparently they’ve had problems with the Li battery, so delivery is delayed until next month.

Thanks,

John

Deck rigging
You do not need deck rigging to perform a paddlefloat reentry. When the paddle float is slipped onto the paddle blade grasp the rear of the cockpit coaming with the hand and the paddle. Kick up to the rear deck behind the paddle. Use the paddle to support your leg coming over. Then, slip that leg into the cockpit. The other leg should be resting on the paddle shaft and can now come over into the cockpit. You can still easily hold onto the paddle and rear coaming while you twist around. Change the paddle from front to back and use the bottom of your pfd to lock it into place while you reattach your spraydeck. There is an article by Nigel Foster regarding this method in an old Sea Kayaker magazine. It is very easy to do and you do not have to detach a paddle behind you fixed by deck rigging while in bouncy seas.

Augustus Dogmaticus

MMVI

I have practiced this method, but…
…as you know, “full rigging” for a paddle float re-entry and/or spare paddle stowage has become pretty standard on recreational sea kayaks (not “rec boats” per se, but “sea kayaks” meant for the recreational paddler; as opposed to a subsistence hunter, that is).

Since the Impex OI did have “partial” rigging in the area of the aft deck commonly associated with the bungie assisted paddle float re-entry, I was just wondering about the particular arrangement. I can understand why they might have been trying to avoid any obstructions to easy access to the day hatch, but I found it somewhat curious all the same.

Melissa

WRONG, WRONG!

– Last Updated: Mar-27-06 11:27 PM EST –

It's OI, as in "OY!"...

...what Vera sez these days when Paul sez "kayak" and wants to buy ANOTHER one to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

oi vey!
that’s funny.

oi vey…coming from a Brazilian girl. Actually she is all right with it as she still thinks that I am going to sell the Tempest. Not saying I won’t mind you…but I doubt anyone wants a beat up plastic tempest 170 for say, 4 thousand?..heheh I just don’t want to sell it. It is a great boat and it has a very cherished place in my heart. Perfect camping and rocky areas boat, yadda yadda yadda.

Will probably have to though if she really really really puts her foot down…right now it is hiding at Jeff’s house and may end up down at your house Frank for a little while until she calms down and accepts the inevitable.

Paul

BRING IT ON DOWN…
I don’t have a blue boat yet.

Yet? Like it’s inevitable?

Hey, Vera should know she’s stiill your “girl” -gotta count for something, right?

And anyway, I’d like another go at using it to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Frank
What time will you be back from the Broward Paddlefest on Saturday. I have a group paddle with people at work at Garden Cove 1/2 day starting at 9 am. I should be driving back around 3 pm. Will you guys be home and is there a home for the blue tempest for a while? Do you want to go for a short paddle down at Hobie Beach in the afternoon?

Paul

see m reply
see my reply to your other post. My battery was not affected, but this shows how RR stands behind things and gets them right, imo.

scaled down OI
I just finished building a strip OI scaled down to 15’ x 19" and I only got to use it twice, but I love it already.

OI changes per generations?
I have seen OIs referred to as 2nd and 3rd generation models. What are the differences? Are these cockpit changes only and if so, what were the changes? One better than the other and why?

2006 OI
Cockpit is modified keyhold (shorter and narrower). Compared to the 2005 initial release, 2006 version raised the deck height at the coming by an inch or so, and increased the hook of the thigh braces. Reason: more comfortable for a wider range of paddlers while still maintaining excellent contact. I have the 2006 version, and it is notably harder to get into than my Pintail–have to go in one leg at a time–but it works, and the sense of control from the hips is terrific.

dmarie,
Did you put in the ocean cockpit or a keyhole?

that explains it
I was trying to figure out if it was just my age or if they had modified the cockpit somewhat. However, I do still have a lower foredeck but with more aggressive thigh pad placement.

I think it is a late model 2005?

Paul

Moving date
Hey Paul, When will you be moving to the Triangle? Be glad to go out an paddle–you can coach me on the GP rolls. John

Me Too
Shoot me an email when you’re ready to paddle Central Carolina.

2007 Deck Rigging?
http://appliedeccentrics.com/kayak/outer-island-deckrig2.jpg