Bought the OI!

and OC version
http://appliedeccentrics.com/kayak/outer_island_deckrig3.jpg

In twenty years
of messin about with various kayaks, I’ve never had a Valley hatch cover go bad, and I do nothing to them. I live in PNW, so that may be why!

Sorry, those images…

– Last Updated: Mar-29-06 5:32 PM EST –

... are just an early April Fool's joke.

Not saying this is ideal or anything, not by a long shot. Just a quick first go at another layout.

Aft day hatch replaced with forward knee tube & hatch (better on OC version than KH maybe), even the main hatch is shifted. Nearly every fitting moved, with new locations for GP loops at ends and paddle easy float rescue/paddle outrigger assisted entry/exit/lunch/naps. Everything symmetrical - NO OFFSIDE!

Would require a whole new deck though.

OI - 1 Me - 0
Took the Oi to the lake and decided that it was time to do a couple of norsaq and hand rolls as I had not succeeded yet. Anything I already know how to do with a paddle, I can pretty much do in the OI. The hand rolls and norsaq rolls are stumping me as I feel my butt slipping to the side as I am sweeping out.

I’ve got to make a masik for this thing as pool noodles are just not cutting it as they slip all over the place etc.

Where you can twist your hips and slowly turn the SOF over in a delicate maneuver, the OI needs a bit of a hip flick when I use the norsaq and even though I had a couple of almosts, my butt slid down and there I was reaching for the paddle under the deck rigging yet again…Or maybe I am losing purchase on the pool noodle? dunno. gonna make something tonight though!

so for now the score is OI - 1 and Paul - 0

Hoping to be in the area (NC) before school starts up again…putting house on market and working on the transfer…don’t want to leave here until school is out. Would really like to get together with you guys in NC and get some good paddling done.

Paul

too much time
I think Greyak has too much time on his hands. Hey Kris…come play hooky on Friday. Charlie and I will be at George English.

Paul

masik does it
Right, a masik in the OI is a cinch. All that is needed is some minicell foam under the front of the cockpit so that your knees have some firm resistance. It keeps my hips in and on the seat as you describe needing. Go for it.

Evan

Can’t do it
Going away lunch for co-worker friend of 6 years Friday.

ordering minicell
got a camp pad from walmart last night and am fashioning a makeshift masik with some wood and will cover with this stuff until I get some minicel in.

Paul

Symmetrical
Thats what I like about the old style NDK Greenlander (in addition to its angled look) is the hatches all circular, small, and centered. I never use hatches for anything large, so like 'em small.

Scott

OI cockpit
I put in the ocean cockpit and shortened it by about 1.5 inches and decreased the width by about 3/4 of an inch, but then I’m only 5’ tall. After using it just a few times I would never want to go back to a keyhole one. To me the ocean cockpit feels much more comfortable and secure. If you have any doubts go with the ocean cockpit and if you don’t like it you can always make it bigger.

careful Paul…
…don’t go wedging yourself in that OI with a piece of wood or you will learn what it means to…

ROLL OR DIE!!!

;^)

Scott

roll or die
roll or die is a good way of thinking about it. I have at least two minutes under water if I really need it, and the reason for this makeshift masik is to be able to hand roll the OI. since I can do every stick roll I know already without it, I figure it is just a matter of time that I won’t need the masik anyway for the norsaq and hand rolls…just adaptation which takes time.

It is a flat piece of wood for rigidity with the camp pad foam over it in several layers that will be able to be compressed. Also I am building up the edges to kind of fit into the thigh cups to keep it stable and rigid.

I should be able to simply push it out of the way hard if I ever need to.

Several lines of defense also. lose the first paddle, you have the spare storm. Lose the storm, you can scull with the norsaq and roll up. Lose the norsaq, main and storm paddles, you can balance brace for air and rollup with a hand roll.

Not too concerned as I am used to the Strand boat and while I will be tight in the OI, it will be less than the SOF.

Paul

New Job
Chris

You should go to work for Impex…maybe then we would get a true “Greenland Style” boat that is symmetrical and usable. Not to mention - you probably work 50 times faster getting something from concept to paper…

;^)

Norsaq use
If your Norsaq is long enough, just use that for your wood piece. lol

Then if you blow your roll just pop out your norsaq from the keyhole and roll up with it…and if you fail then at least the piece of wood is already out of the way!

TWO MINUTES UNDERWATER!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I am lucky if I can last 30 seconds, and I only smoke a couple of (quality) cigars a month!! (no cigarettes) Man, you shouldn’t even need to roll - you can just paddle underwater to shore till you can push up off the bottom with your hands.

Good lungs!

Scott

I wish
Dream to do product design for paddlesports vs. the stuff I do now.

I hear there’s no $ in it though! L

Plus, we’ve all heard the nightmares about trying to combine work with pleasure.

For all these reasons and more, people like Pat who does his own thing will always have my awe/envy - and those like Danny and Flatpick who have to deal with the reality of bigger enterprises and not just dream have my utmost respect.

Maybe someday…

Don’t forget…
…guys like Don Beale (Beale Greenland Paddles), Brian Shultz (Cape Falcon Kayak) and John Peterson (Shaman Kayaks)…these guys stuck their necks out, made the plunge, etc and have my vote for their gutsy determination, talent, perseverance and "corporate America…go to h_ll…)

However, that all said…I’ll stick to my $200K/year job…heheheh

Scott

I suspect most have day jobs NM

two minutes
may be stretching it a bit…but definitely over a minute. Also, unless you are caught on something that prevents you from at least getting your head up from the water, and in sea touring and roling I don’t know what that would be, you should be able to at least get some air.

Paul

if nothing else…
…learn the Petreussen (sp?) maneuver where you turn slightly sideways in the cockpit and reach up/around the hull to breathe without wet-exiting. I used to have a link to this move, but can’t seem to find it right now.

But then, Mr Rolling-monster - you will never need that!!

Delmarva this year, right Paul? You can teach me some new moves in my new boat…

Scott

Keel strip
I have found that sand mixed with epoxy makes a very durable and long lasting keel strip. I tape off a 3/4" area about three feet long on the keeline at the bow and stern, lightly sand and apply the thickened mixture. After the epoxy starts to set I remove the tape. If your hull is white you can add some white pigment to the epoxy and it will blend in nicely.